yuuichi

Sudden Qi or Jing release or change due to strong emotions?

Whenever I feel a strong emotion arise, I can usually sense a sudden heat arising from a part of my body, and also a pressure upon parts of my body - especially the head usually.

Questions:

1. What is causing this? Is it just standard science like hormones being released into the blood? Or is it a concentration of Jing, which is said to quickly flow to places under stress? Or is it an interruption of the flow of Qi? A blockage in qi in the body is said to cause some sort of tension and heat at first.

2. Does this change of Jing or Qi affect the mind, causing strong emotions to arise, or is it the start of the strong emotion within the mind which causes the change in behaviour in the Jing or Qi? In other words, is it the mind which is first, or the flow of jing or qi? 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 12:06 AM, yuuichi said:

In other words, is it the mind which is first, or the flow of jing or qi? 

In my view it’s the qi first. Energy hits the blockage/structure, then causes the mind to react with thoughts and emotions. Truly clear the blockage, and you don’t get those thoughts anymore. 

“Well” you say, “what if I think about a particular issue and get an emotional response? Wouldn’t it be the mind first, then the feeling of heat and qi?”  My view on this would be the two are not as separate as you think. 😊 

if your on a torture table, your only concern should be how to get off. Finding out how their tools work or other details are a secondary concern. Once you get off the table, you can clearly see the setup. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Song of the Dao said:

It depends on the emotion; fear, anger, sadness, happiness, or anxiety?

What about lust? Or is that just completely separate? I noticed in the article you linked, they wrote that indulgence in the 5 emotions leads to imbalances, and from that I infer that this imbalance causes the qi to have an unbalanced flow through the body. But lust and other emotions also cause the body to react in distinct ways, such as the shortening of the breath and pressure around the side of the head.

28 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

In my view it’s the qi first. Energy hits the blockage/structure

Thank you for your response. If I may ask, I assume stress or tension causes this blockage/structure which causes qi to be diverted or mess up its path, but what causes only certain emotions to arise more than others? Some people, for example, get angry very easily when stressed. Some people get a lot of lust when stressed. What causes the different effects of the blockages? If it is that the blockage is in different places, then what part of the body is responsible for each emotion when stress/tension arises in that part of the body? Thank you

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, yuuichi said:

Thank you for your response. If I may ask, I assume stress or tension causes this blockage/structure which causes qi to be diverted or mess up its path, but what causes only certain emotions to arise more than others? Some people, for example, get angry very easily when stressed. Some people get a lot of lust when stressed. What causes the different effects of the blockages? If it is that the blockage is in different places, then what part of the body is responsible for each emotion when stress/tension arises in that part of the body? Thank you

It's my view that the blockages/issues are what cause the stress in the first place.  The reason people respond differently is the same reason people have different personalities - no two people are the same.  I don't think of blockages like a clog in a pipe; if it were that simple we could just call a plumber! It's more-so deep karma structures and ego stuff.  Could be from childhood trauma, past life stuff, habits and fears.  Once you "unblock" that stuff, you discover there's more under it.  As you clear it out, yes your body works more efficiently and you have less stress and happier.  But there's always new stuff, like the layers of an onion.  The parts of the body is more how your mind translates it.  

Say you have a block/issue that revolves around how you've always wanted to tell your Mom how she mistreated you.  That block may be located somewhere in your subtle energy body, yet you translate it as a lump in your throat (communication) and pain in the heart/chest area.  It may not be physically present in your throat - it goes much deeper than that, but it feels that way.

Of course I only speak from my own experiences and how I've come to feel and clear my own blocks.  Others may have their own thoughts or views.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

It's my view that the blockages/issues are what cause the stress in the first place.  The reason people respond differently is the same reason people have different personalities - no two people are the same.

I thought in Daoist medicine, a blockage in one part of the body corresponds as one type of emotion released, a blockage in another part of the body corresponds to another type of emotion released? That’s why people have differing emotions because different types of mind?

16 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

I don't think of blockages like a clog in a pipe; if it were that simple we could just call a plumber!

It is a block in the pipe. That’s what reiki is all about. The reiki practitioner puts his hands on the affected part of the body and the blockage disappears.

21 minutes ago, yuuichi said:

I thought in Daoist medicine, a blockage in one part of the body corresponds as one type of emotion released, a blockage in another part of the body corresponds to another type of emotion released? That’s why people have differing emotions because different types of mind?

My post was just a representation of how I've felt energy blocks and how I conceptualize it.  I don't know much about Daoist medicine. :) 

21 minutes ago, yuuichi said:

It is a block in the pipe. That’s what reiki is all about. The reiki practitioner puts his hands on the affected part of the body and the blockage disappears.

This has not been my experience. I've had some very powerful Reiki sessions, and blockages were still there. But I encourage you to try it yourself, and let me know how it goes for you.

Edited by Fa Xin

What may be happening in you is that with some internal training you’ve developed sensitivity to what’s happening inside during a surge of emotion. That’s good.

The chicken and egg type question is not particularly useful... of course Qi is involved. Of course Jing is involved. (They’re involved in every aspect of you here on earth). What came first is not particularly important.

Emotions happen as a reaction. Stimulus - response. Your stimulus - response mechanism will have certain triggers and patterns of reaction depending on your particular Acquired Mind (genetics, personal history etc)... So you may react in anger to a certain stimulus whereas another person may react in fear.

Lust is different. Yes it’s ‘normal’... but if you’re a cultivator, it is one of the major aspects that needs to be overcome. Lust/craving/desire (usually for sex, power/money) is the first difficult hurdle for spiritual cultivators... attachment to emotions is the second hurdle.

Tackle the first hurdle first - don’t try to do both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, freeform said:

Lust is different. Yes it’s ‘normal’... but if you’re a cultivator, it is one of the major aspects that needs to be overcome.

Do you have an idea on how it is overcome? If I am celibate for a while and I see a beautiful woman on the street, my mental state goes away from being calm and tranquil and it can even give me headaches, and for the next dozen hours my mind thinks about that woman too much and I have too much sexual desire which can result in jing pouring away from my eyes, from pre-ejaculate fluid, etc. Whenever I mention this on this forum, people just tell me to get a girlfriend/wife but I would like to cultivate jing first.

42 minutes ago, yuuichi said:

Do you have an idea on how it is overcome? If I am celibate for a while

In my opinion and in the opinion of all the high level teachers that I’ve trained with, celibacy is not only counterproductive but also dangerous.

Yes there are times when on retreat you would stop all sexual activity... but this is generally at intermediate to later stages and for specific periods of time and it always includes ‘fasting the mind’. 

My recommendation is to moderate your sexual activity - not sure how old you are, I’m assuming quite young - which means sexual activity once a week is healthy...

Cultivating Jing is not about stopping ejaculation! It’s a terrible and rather unhealthy over simplification.

The way to cultivate jing is to stop base desires. This is accomplished firstly through introspection (to see your base impulses in action) and then just like meditation - you recognise the impulse and then you don’t act on it. However introspection is tricky and subtle. Your ego is clever and will hide base desires in all sorts of ‘clothing’...

Secondly your internal training will help stop base desires too... I know you’re following Drew’s new ‘system’ - which I wouldn’t recommend... but since you are then you need to ask him. Bare in mind Drew exhibits some of the symptoms of Qi Gong Deviation... so tread just carefully.

29 minutes ago, Song of the Dao said:

You have a lot to learn about TCM!

Medicine and cultivation are two completely different things (that come from the same root).

Maybe you have a lot to learn about cultivation?

1 hour ago, freeform said:

In my opinion and in the opinion of all the high level teachers that I’ve trained with, celibacy is not only counterproductive but also dangerous.

Yes there are times when on retreat you would stop all sexual activity... but this is generally at intermediate to later stages and for specific periods of time and it always includes ‘fasting the mind’. 

My recommendation is to moderate your sexual activity - not sure how old you are, I’m assuming quite young - which means sexual activity once a week is healthy...

I don’t want to practice qigong, taiji, neidan, neigong or all the other related practices. All my intention is, and the reason why I am on this forum in the first place , is to learn how to increase jing throughout all the body and its organs. That is all.  I’ve read (though I can’t remember the sources) that about 2 months of no sex (I assume they mean no orgasm) is enough to acquire a good amount of jing. But after just a few weeks of this, all I can think and dream about is sex and beautiful women. If I am on youtube and I accidently see a picture of a beautiful woman then I can almost feel my jing or qi pouring out of my eyes, getting a headache, and all the associated things. Getting to 2 months of no sex is so difficult! People who say that they can do it is because they waste away their jing through lots of exercise and weightlifting, so of course it is easy for them.

The way to cultivate jing is to stop base desires. This is accomplished firstly through introspection (to see your base impulses in action) and then just like meditation - you recognise the impulse and then you don’t act on it. However introspection is tricky and subtle.

I used to practice celibacy this way, but it doesn’t matter if all the impulses are ignored. As soon as there is a stimulus (like accidentally seeing a beautiful woman) the mind and body react regardless of the intention of the self to not pay attention to beautiful women, and even if there isn’t a stimulus, every night when one dreams there is usually a beautiful woman, or lots of beautiful women, and one wakes up covered in sweat (wasted jing) or at least poorly rested (wasted jing).

Secondly your internal training will help stop base desires too... I know you’re following Drew’s new ‘system’ - which I wouldn’t recommend... but since you are then you need to ask him.

I don’t follow his system, but I think he has some interesting things to say sometimes. I want to emphasize that I don’t follow any system or anyone. All I want to do is fill my body with a healthy amount of jing (when I mean healthy, I don’t mean just like the common person, I mean how the ancient Daoists would define healthy as full of vitality, every organ in the body is strong and full of jing, etc. And please don’t tell me about finding a teacher - dozens of people have already told me to fibd a teacher, so I don’t want to be told any more. Thanks for reading.

Edited by yuuichi

1 minute ago, freeform said:

What does it mean to be full of jing? Using non-Daoist language.

Full of vitality. All the organs are full of jing.

So vitality... as in more energy... 

Thats simple - just do intense exercise regularly, sleep consistently for 8hrs and eat freshly cooked, unprocessed food and you’ll have more energy than most people... 

For progress in the internal arts you must do the above plus 2 to 3hrs of correct training every day. If that doesn’t interest you then why bother?!

• Like 1

On 2019-01-04 at 7:10 PM, yuuichi said:

I don’t want to practice qigong, taiji, neidan, neigong or all the other related practices. All my intention is, and the reason why I am on this forum in the first place , is to learn how to increase jing throughout all the body and its organs. That is all.  

Ever occurred to you that you need proper practice to be able to handle a larger amount of you favourite form of energy? 

I used to practice celibacy this way, but it doesn’t matter if all the impulses are ignored.

They should not be ignored. You are supposed to work through them, preferably with a proper practice. 

And please don’t tell me about finding a teacher - dozens of people have already told me to fibd a teacher, so I don’t want to be told any more. Thanks for reading.

Find a teacher. 

Did it ever occur to you that there are methods, both on mind and energy system level, that will make sure you can be celibate without deviations? 

Hey, even Mantak Chia teaches the ball sucking method..... 😁 

With a teacher and a proper method you can learn to reverse the flow of jing without being so genital. 

But yes, sorry, you didn't need a teacher. My bad. Carry on. 

On 2019-01-04 at 10:29 PM, Song of the Dao said:

Next time you look at a woman see here for what she is, a nagging bag of bones and pus and blood that only wants your money! That will make your Jing run right back to your kidney's for sure!!

Well, I saw version of this in a movie about tibetan buddhism. 

It has some inherent problems though:

For starters, you blame women for your desires, instead of working on the part of your mind that produces desires. 

Secondly, you start to cultivate a negative attitude against women in general, which is hardly useful. 

Thirdly, you will cultivate fear, which will harm your Kidneys and your Jing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Song of the Dao said:

The skill is seeing them without giving rise to any of the issues you presented. 

So we agree on the goal, but not how to get there. 

One out of two, not bad on TDB. 😁 

On 1/1/2019 at 1:30 PM, Fa Xin said:

That block may be located somewhere in your subtle energy body, yet you translate it as a lump in your throat (communication) and pain in the heart/chest area.  It may not be physically present in your throat - it goes much deeper than that, but it feels that way.

Interesting. kind of off topic, but years ago, was sitting in meditation,  and my throat felt like it was becoming tight and blocked in a very physical manner.  All I could compare it too was the feeling of turning on a hose in the summer, letting the water run out, then pinching the hose together to stop the water flow.  it felt just like my throat/energy was being pinched off. not affecting breathing,  but a more powerful pressure, much like the pressure of pinching off a garden hose. I had to discontinue my sitting that day.   I looked up the throat chakra, and yoga exercises one can do to open it up. hence getting into hatha yoga to strengthen my sitting meditation.  It did open up, and to date never returned.  so something was opening up. got no visions or anything, might be too dull to get those. LOL

• Like 1

jing is a non physical energy with no location. jing, chi and shen are one energy. When the three treasures separate there are problems.

Using the temporary body (semen specifically) to reach the eternal is bad medicine Jing is not sexual energy that is 5% of the equation it is also blood, sweat and tears, saliva, liquid manifestations of the something eternal..A physical substance is not jing it is only a manifestation of Jing. When jing is strong chi has a better quality and quantity. Chi animates the body if spirit moves chi all dis- ease vanishes to dust.

The ability to reproduce our actions waking up, going to sleep, washing the dishes, paying bills, definitely take out the garbage and that includes mind trash everyday. We will do these activities way more then having sex for the rest of our lives.

Chi is moving up and down always headaches are the manifestation of energy flowing poorly down the descending channel.

Retain means to block this is an error. The blockage is now apparent.

We should cycle through all emotions in a day. When we hold on to one emotion that is something to correct right off.

• Like 1