wandelaar

Pronunciation Classical Chinese?

What pronunciation is used in the academic study and discussion of Classical Chinese texts such as the Tao Te Ching and the Chuang tzu?

Edited by wandelaar

Is there a thread somewhere on The Dao Bums where Bums who are only just beginning to study the classical Chinese language can discuss their problems and achievements?

On 25/12/2018 at 10:14 PM, wandelaar said:

Is there a thread somewhere on The Dao Bums where Bums who are only just beginning to study the classical Chinese language can discuss their problems and achievements?

@wandelaar I just joined and am looking for such a thread as well. I wonder did you find one?  If so I would like to hear about it.

16 minutes ago, Cobie said:

@wandelaar I just joined and am looking for such a thread as well. I wonder did you find one?  If so I would like to hear about it.

Here is a related article:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/41824307?Search=yes&resultItemClick=true&searchText=Pinyin academic study Chinese translation&searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3FQuery%3DPinyin%2Bacademic%2Bstudy%2BChinese%2Btranslation&ab_segments=0%2Fbasic_search%2Fcontrol&refreqid=fastly-default%3A685a140734fafe75567188cab469c81e

I am unsure if any such threads exist, and would have to use the search feature to see what comes up (which you seem to have already utilized).

If it has not already been presented to you there is a link around here somewhere to a site called Original Dao, and if you find nobody here to explore this topic with, perhaps some of the members there could provide the comradery in this field of exploration you seek.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ilumairen Thank you very much for the information, much appreciated.  I have now registered with the Original Dao. :)

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 2

All I can say is that Karlgren had worked on the archaic Chinese pronunciation based on old texts and rhymes dictionary as guanyun to reconstruct old pronunciations but I haven't seen old texts in archaic Chinese except excerpts in textbooks.