Sign in to follow this  
rideforever

War vs Office Job

I was watching an old WW2 movie the other day and war seems very interesting and full of life really.   You get to walk around in big open spaces, bridges, fly in planes, it's all very important, people desperately need you to do this or that, you take your life in your hands.

Contrast that to office job : morning, morning ... alright ... yeah not so bad ... weather's shit isn't it ... yeah.   Only two weeks till Christmas ...

Which one is closer to the soul ?

Do we really get anything out of life, being so domesticated and passive ?

Any other real alternatives out there ?

ccc.jpg

You're showing a picture of actors, not soldiers.   They literally have just had there hair and make up done.  The movie was probably 2 hours or less, lots of action.  The reality of war/soldering is long hours/months/years of drudgery and monotony, some scary scenarios a fraction of the time.  Being told what to do, when to do it, pretty much 24/7.   I assume the dream of many soldiers/grunts after awhile is an office job, going home to friends and family by 5:00 and getting back control of there life. 

Often its the camaraderie, youth, and having a single over riding cause that soldiers miss.  I suppose the alternative to joining an army is to find a cause you're passionate about, and put in the time and sacrifice. 

I respect our armed services but don't glamorize it.   I had a couple friends in the Navy, father in law was Air Force, my dad's told me stories about basic training. 

• Like 3

True, I have read many accounts by soldiers, and still I feel they have the sense of really living, even through the hell.

Big things happen big lessons big pain.

My feeling is that civilian life, domesticated life, may in fact be soul destroying and useless, and frankly a big lie.  It's just insincere, quiet safe but a lie, a big lie.

And to succumb is to lose your soul.

And the other thing is, when you are "on a mission", when you act-will-do, then it's like you fly, you barely notice the "bad things".
In fact all the negativity and moaning that is so much part of modern society, what it really means is that people don't feel they are alive, they have far too much time.
As for "finding a cause you are passionate about" ... well it's all just vomit, in this insincere society.   Even worse that industry.
Without the soul anything that is done, no matter how safe or "passionate", is just a lie, a lie upon a lie.
And then death comes and puts an end to ... nothing.
All opportunities were forsaken from the beginning.
And I have the feeling that this is simply the truth of things, like it or not, comfortable or not.

Next door are some very upstanding parents, looking after their children, working hard and so on.  I wish them well.   But sometimes I observe them ... how much reality is in the parents or the children.   Is it just one act, from beginning to end, all fake and more fake.   Isn't the whole theatre designed to prevent feeling the truth.
Sometimes in a nowhere place, someone catches your eyes, truth to truth, in the middle of an as-if-world, a world of people not quite ready for world.
Best to pretend it ain't true, most of the time.

Edited by rideforever
  • Like 2

@rideforever I was a soldier once upon a time. I served in Bosnia as part of the peacekeeping force. You are projecting onto soldiers. Most just want to stay warm and dry, and to make it home alive. Beware of "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome. A boring job, a decent house, a loving spouse and a few kids -- that is a good life.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, rideforever said:

There are many, giving the power and authority to choose one that you have to deal with to others.  It's'not something I would recommend.

As a grunt feild medic, we sometimes would rotate in for some hospital duty.  I can remember looking out at the cold poring rain from a med ward I was working on, 97th gen hospital, Frankfurt Germany, back in the 70s,

wishing I was back out there.

I can also remember literally sleeping in a rain filled mud puddle, very late at night,  too tired to move to a new location back from a long day of patrolling with the squad I was assigned to.

The military is a very unique lifestyle.  One that requires a lot of discipline, fortitude, endurance and mental toughness.

It will help build and provide a training ground to acquire the skill sets, one that can break one in the process, mentally and physically.

It's all good until your hurt or dead.

A friend wrote this, maybe some can find something in it that resonates.

"

You may have heard your own lost child somewhere along the way. It’s comes as a faint intuition, perhaps more a feeling than a sound. It’s one of those things we tend to brush aside, tend to rationalize away. 

It calls out, asking that you turn toward it… especially during those times when the your defenses are most activated.

It reaches up through the veil of the unconscious, trying to be found...trying to be heard.

As long as this voice goes un-heard, the un-seen hand of one’s defenses will continue to shape one’s  decisions, appearing for all the world as “fate.”

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, rideforever said:

I was watching an old WW2 movie the other day and war seems very interesting and full of life really.   You get to walk around in big open spaces, bridges, fly in planes, it's all very important, people desperately need you to do this or that, you take your life in your hands.

Contrast that to office job : morning, morning ... alright ... yeah not so bad ... weather's shit isn't it ... yeah.   Only two weeks till Christmas ...

ccc.jpg

The real alternative is to address your own dissatisfaction. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rideforever said:

The big open spaces and full of life thing is real about military service. I had many great experiences being out in nature both during training and while deployed overseas. The world is beautiful sometimes, and we can realize this especially when we're forced into a situation of being out in the middle of nowhere.

But people who vacation to the national parks, or go on an African safari etc, can see beauty, too. There are also jobs that take one out into nature: park ranger, forest fire fighter, tour guide, hunting guide, etc.

Movies are made to be enjoyable, even if they're about war...they usually last 2 hours. Real life military service lasts 24/7 for years, and it's only enjoyable every once in a while. There are lots of downsides...but there are many upsides, too.

I think only people who want to defend their country should join.

It's not like the only other alternative is the typical "office job".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rideforever said:

Next door are some very upstanding parents, looking after their children, working hard and so on.  I wish them well.   But sometimes I observe them ... how much reality is in the parents or the children.   Is it just one act, from beginning to end, all fake and more fake.   Isn't the whole theatre designed to prevent feeling the truth.
Sometimes in a nowhere place, someone catches your eyes, truth to truth, in the middle of an as-if-world, a world of people not quite ready for world.
Best to pretend it ain't true, most of the time.

I had to think on this a bit , but if the implied question isnt rhetorical , I say that from a spiritual perspective , its not the physical which is the real , true or important stuff except that it is a sort of manifestation needed to have the spiritual world exist. The light and dark need each other to be comprehended. Parent hugs child, and although it is just a physical motion , it conveys meaning to them both. Recognizing that meaning as the important part , an insincere hug is trash .. other than it might be warmer than standing in the open. 

So youre looking at this from a spiritual perspective , as I see it, but youre not giving much credence to the sincerity of it , on their part. 

Since I cant know how much of the motion is sincere , I presume that life is always difficult , people have mixed feelings , and they are doing the best they can,,  the best they know how.  

Judging the efforts to be crappy weak insincere insufficient and so forth is going to make you feel bummed about the relationships you think they have , so , remember that its the best they can do, and be merciful.

Edited by Stosh
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rideforever said:

ccc.jpg

Two of my uncles were in WWII and both suffered psychological damage (PTSD) which continued till the day they passed on. My uncle Bill was in the cleanup group which followed behind the lines to cleanup the carnage, use your imagination on this one. My uncle Glenn (Bus) was in Patton's Army, North Africa, front lines in Italy, third wave D Day (Omaha Beach) Battle of the Bulge, was one of the first troops to cross the Rhine River, saw the death camps and so forth. I seriously doubt either one of my uncles would share your delusional sentiment. One other comment is that on Omaha Beach many of the bodies were not recognizable, blown to bits!

Edited by ralis
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, ralis said:

One other comment is that on Omaha Beach many of the bodies were not recognizable, blown to bits!

It's common for soldiers being back in civies to feel bereft of any real responsibility or action in domesticated life, or camaraderie or purpose.   Pleasure only goes so far.
But yes everything has a price.

4 minutes ago, rideforever said:

It's common for soldiers being back in civies to feel bereft of any real responsibility or action in domesticated life, or camaraderie or purpose.   Pleasure only goes so far.

In what way does the above in bold have anything to do with the carnage of war and in this case, Omaha Beach?

• Like 1

My son was interested in joining ROTC, which would lead into the service after graduation.  I was okay with it as along as there was no shooting war going on.  Too often US troops are targeted by all sides, including their host country. 

It's tough going, but there's deep lessons in discipline, responsibility, honor and teamwork.  Hopefully practical skills to be gained. 

The travel bug, ie he'll want to visit another country for a semester and rowing have probably changed his mind about it. 

@ rideforever

Did you already consider the possibility that your problem is psychological, that is: that you are suffering from depression? Searching for occupational or spiritual solutions might then not be the correct approach. 

18 minutes ago, rideforever said:

To respond to what ralis shared with the idea of pleasure only going so far seems a break from the reality of the sharing imo.

13 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Did you already consider the possibility that your problem is psychological, that is: that you are suffering from depression? Searching for occupational or spiritual solutions might then not be the correct approach. 

Did you consider the possibility that you are not alive, and that that might not be the correct approach !

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ralis said:

Two of my uncles were in WWII and both suffered psychological damage (PTSD) which continued till the day they passed on. My uncle Bill was in the cleanup group which followed behind the lines to cleanup the carnage, use your imagination on this one. My uncle Glenn (Bus) was in Patton's Army, North Africa, front lines in Italy, third wave D Day (Omaha Beach) Battle of the Bulge, was one of the first troops to cross the Rhine River, saw the death camps and so forth. I seriously doubt either one of my uncles would share your delusional sentiment. One other comment is that on Omaha Beach many of the bodies were not recognizable, blown to bits!

Thank you for trying to share the brutal reality of what is being glorified and viewed through rose colored glasses here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Did you consider the possibility that you are not alive, and that that might not be the correct approach !

I see - you didn't consider the possibility, and you are not even prepared to consider it. Well - it's your life...

Edited by wandelaar

There is glorifying of war.   

And three is glorifying of the "terribleness" of war.

There is glorifying of the "ordinary life", 2.4 children and a dog.

Western life today is overbalanced in the later, and it loses its meaning and value.

Something must change, and is changing.

In the Bhagavad Gita it says that you must fight.   Why ?  It is simply a recognition of the need to grow, and that refusing to participate because you are in love with easy-life-ideas is a mistake.    Mankind is quite far from not needing conflict, and that is why there is conflict.   And yes it is an ugly picture with many casualties, but so it goes for those born in the sewer.   Here, if you do not fight there will be even worse. 
 Can you fight your way through holding virtue and not taking it personally ?

The abhorrence of war is as old as the Tao Te Ching, and probably much older.

If you like fighting you can do martial arts as a sport...

• Like 1

Society will not change just because you don't like it. Actually you have a huge battle to fight, but it is against yourself: 

“He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior.”

Confucius

• Like 2

Private, this is your new mission

- crash your hormonal productions

- gain 100 lb

- zang zang zang posture in the worst posture you can find

- find a list of diseases and choose 3 of them that you're able to introduce in your body 

Find your way back to healthy life

Edited by King Jade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, King Jade said:

Private, this is your new mission

- crash your hormonal productions

- gain 100 lb

- zang zang zang posture in the worst posture you can find

- find a list of diseases and choose 3 of them that you're able to introduce in your body 

Find your way back to healthy life

He he he , getting old is a ..pain. 

Sign in to follow this