Sign in to follow this  
Bindi

wò 楃 instead of pu 樸 in the Mawangdui "A" text

Is anyone familiar with the difference  and wu 屋 from the Mawangdui "A" text make to the meaning of the lines where pu (translated as uncarved block) is currently written in the TTC?

One of the two (c. 168 BCE) Mawangdui silk manuscript versions of the Daodejing, discovered in 1973 by archeologists excavating a tomb, uses a rare textual variant character for pu   "a house tent (esp. with a wooden roof)", written with the "tree radical" and wu  "room; house" phonetic. The "B" text, like the received version, uses pu  8 times in 6 chapters; the "A" text uses   6 times in 4 chapters and has lacunae in chapters 19 and 57. The (c. 121 CE) Shuowen jiezi defines wo  as muzhang 木帳 "wood canopy", and the (early 3rd century) Guangya defines it as choumu 幬幕 "curtain; cover". These variant words  < *phrôk  "unworked wood" and  < *ʔôk  "house tent" are semantically and phonologically dissimilar.

2 hours ago, Bindi said:

Is anyone familiar with the difference  and wu 屋 from the Mawangdui "A" text make to the meaning of the lines where pu (translated as uncarved block) is currently written in the TTC?

I could not find any wu 屋  in A.

As to   it occurs 4 times

https://ctext.org/pre-qin-and-han/ens?searchu=楃

there. with an unclear meaning, not obviously the same as pu 

Edited by Taoist Texts

14 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

There i

I could not find any wu 屋  in A.

As to   it occurs 4 times

https://ctext.org/pre-qin-and-han/ens?searchu=楃

there. with an unclear meaning, not obviously the same as pu 

Interesting that it's wood - when I read 'uncarved block' I always, in my ignorance thought of stone.

10 minutes ago, Apech said:

Interesting that it's wood - when I read 'uncarved block' I always, in my ignorance thought of stone.

yes Interesting ,even more so because 朴 just means 'simple'. Translating it as an uncarved wood or whatever is a speculation.

4 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

yes Interesting ,even more so because 朴 just means 'simple'. Translating it as an uncarved wood or whatever is a speculation.

... and simple means 'one fold' or possibly 'no folds' ... does this tie in somehow?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taoist Texts said:

So to wildly speculate just a bit further,   could conceivably mean something along the lines of 'simple room/house/tent', and the need to return to this.

7 minutes ago, Bindi said:

So to wildly speculate just a bit further,   could conceivably mean something along the lines of 'simple room/house/tent', and the need to return to this.

But he said wo doesn't appear as meaning pu.

4 minutes ago, Apech said:

But he said wo doesn't appear as meaning pu.

From the wiki quote in the OP

One of the two (c. 168 BCE) Mawangdui silk manuscript versions of the Daodejing... uses a rare textual variant character for pu   

1 minute ago, Bindi said:

From the wiki quote in the OP

One of the two (c. 168 BCE) Mawangdui silk manuscript versions of the Daodejing... uses a rare textual variant character for pu   

Ah ok must be in B then.

15 minutes ago, Apech said:

... and simple means 'one fold' or possibly 'no folds' ... does this tie in somehow?

yes thats the idea in received DDJ. I am not sure about the Mawangdui versions.

Search for "樸" [Condition = Ignore case, Substring]

icon3.gif
Adj. (2)  Simple, unadorned: 素 (person) simple, without ostentation of any kind;
Words 15. 素朴 [su4pu2], adj., simple, unadorned (also wr. 素).

icon3.gif
Words 15.  [gu2pu3], adj., (of manners) simple and plain, uncontaminated by modern fads.

icon3.gif
 119B15 
 10B.22-2/75 
ㄆㄨˊ [pu2] (also ㄆㄛˋ [po4]). [Var. of  10B.81]

icon3.gif
 139A25 
 10b.81-2/75 
ㄆㄨˊ [pu2].
N. (1)  Uncarved wood, symbolic of original nature of man (Taoist).
(2)  (Bot.) Aphananthe aspera, a plant whose dried leaves are used for polishing metal, woodwork.
Adj. Simple, unadorned, honest: 民風淳厚 the people are simple and honest, unspoiled;
2hanb18.gif simple (living, furniture);
撲素 [pu2su4]1↓.

icon3.gif
Words 3.  [pu2zhi2], adj., unadorned, unsophisticated.
4.  [pu2ma3], n., (AC) unbroken horse.
5.  [pu2shi0], adj., simple, direct honest: 實實(兒) adv., directly, in simple, direct way.
6.  [pu2xUe2], n., name of scholastic tendency (Manchu Dyn.) devoted to philological research and spurning speculative philosophy.
7.  [pu2su4]1, adj., (of dress, customs, way of living) simple.
8.  [pu2su4]2, n., (AC) brush, underwood.
9.  [pu2ye3], adj., uncouth.

16 minutes ago, Bindi said:

yes, defo it could. But I have not researched this issue in any depth.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this