I was reading about 5 levels and I cam across Bodhiharama supposedly a qigong & zen master base this  5 levels.

Has anyone attain one these? Does this cultivation practice of storage qi or purifying/increase qi flow?

Venerable Bodhidharma was about to go back to India. He said to his students, "The time has come. Can you express your understanding?" 1 
One of the students, Daofu said, "My present view is that we should neither be attached to letters, nor be apart from letters, and to allow the Way to function freely." 2
Bodhidharma said, "You have attained my skin." 3
Nun Zongchi said, "My view is that it is like the joy of seeing Akshobhya Buddha’s land just once and not again." 4
Bodhidharma said, "You have attained my flesh." 5
Daoyu said, "The four great elements are originally empty and the five skandhas do not exist. Therefore, I see nothing to be attained." 6
Bodhidharma said, "You have attained my bones." 7
Finally Huike came forward, made a full bow, stood up, and returned to where he was. 8
Bodhidharma said, "You have attained my marrow." 9
Thus he transmitted the Dharma and robe to Huike. 10

• Like 1

I learned two things from the above. 

1) Bodhi was a very agreeable guy.

2) Huilk is strongest of them all. 

.. spirituality begins with a sense of humor

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Shouldn't it be five students for five levels? 

You can read a bit about the five levels on Wong Kiew Kit's Shaolin Wahnam site. And then you have to decide if his interpretation is valid and useful for you. 

I think Damo Mitchells latest book (chopped to pieces in another thread) also take a pick on the subject. 

Or, you can find any live teacher of Shaolin qigong who also probably will have a (different) version of it. 

• Like 1

Bodhi was a lovable grump but he went soft on the poor sods, i think Huike had the longest path left to travel but did so willingly, the others must have been dissappointed since their path only led so far and revealed rather insipid understanding.

This is a koan isn’t it?

I think it’s not a qi-practice per se but an explanation of how stuck you can be unless you develop from the marrow in a wider sense. This has nothing to do with the body for me, but i’m just a blowhard so don’t listen.

• Like 1