Rara

Does anyone have any hip flexor exercises?

Good evening/afternoon/morning,

I have been struggling with my lower back for almost 10 years and after several massage sessions recently, my masseur is convinved that my tight hip flexors are what's giving me the issues.

Three days ago, I had to stop tai chi practice because I just couldn't stand it anymore. It makes me wonder, surely I'm doing ok form-wise, otherwise my teacher would have said so.

So my masseur suggested some lunges and resistence-band crabs. Are there any exercises you'd suggest?

I will add (hoping that tai chi everyday should really be enough) that maybe it's less sitting that will help. I have to drive long distances a lot with my job and with tiredness, my posture really gets lazy.

Any help here will be highly appreciated. Best to all :)

This seems potentially useful as it covers both sides of the argument: whether to stretch or strengthen.   Good luck and update us :)

• Thanks 1

Google yoga hip flexor flow poses. I am sure something is out there.

I recommend swan/pigeon, happy baby, frog pose and crescent lunges. The thread the needle pose is really good for loosening up the piriformis muscle. It's one of my favorites.

You might want to incorporate some core strengthening to help with your posture while driving long distances.

Good luck to you. 

• Thanks 1

I like McKenzie method for low back pain. There are cheap books on how to perform it yourself. Good to do multiple times per day: first upon waking, before meals, before work, after work, before bed.

For hip flexors, others have mentioned good stretches. You definitely want to lengthen the tissue by stretching...but at the same time, you don't want the muscles to be too weak. Hip flexors need to be long and very functional in order to be healthy. So light strengthening of them is good (not trying to tear muscle fibers with intense strength training of them). For instance, having your hands interlaced behind your head, lifting your knee and touching it to the opposite elbow, and repeating, is one example of an exercise that activates the muscle.

When stretching the hip flexors (or any muscle), it's good to hold a static stretch for at least 35 seconds, and repeat 3 times; that is one session. Have three sessions per day minimum in order to see results.

It does seem like the long driving is what's causing it, but hopefully some self rehab will help. I would plan on continuing the rehab for as long as you have this job.

• Thanks 1

I am no expert but I would suggest you have two conversations; one with your massage therapist and one with your Taiji instructor. Explain to them the issue and ask for advice.

The massage therapist may be able to identify for you which muscles in the hip flexor group are at issue. The exercises should be able to target the ones that are most problematic but keep in mind that the whole hip flexor group needs to be addressed.

Your taiji teacher can help by verifying that your posture is correct and advise which static postures can help you develop the support you need. 

Speaking from my experience with Chen style Taiji, postures tend to require a wider deeper stance. I think this is true for all Taiji forms to greater or lesser degrees. The posture must be trained slowly and progressively over time, working from narrower higher postures gradually to the lower deeper postures as the style requires. Proper alignment is essential which is why there needs to be hands on form correction from a good teacher. There are two typical problems that come up that need to be addressed. One is lower back issues which are mainly alignment issues having to do with too much forward leaning. The other has to do with the supporting arch that is created in the wider deeper postures. This supporting arch runs through the groin and involves the thighs, the hip flexor muscles and lower back. So, the right training approach has to do with stretching, strengthing and proper aligning all done progressively over a long period through the static postures and forms.

Of course, all of this presumes that you have no physical injury to contend with, just untrained body. If you have an injury involved seek appropriate medical advice as well. You don't want to aggravate an underlaying injury.

Hope this description helps.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aetherous said:

When stretching the hip flexors (or any muscle), it's good to hold a static stretch for at least 35 seconds, and repeat 3 times; that is one session. Have three sessions per day minimum in order to see results.

Awesome. That's one thing I didn't ask in my question. Super important to know:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldDog said:

I am no expert but I would suggest you have two conversations; one with your massage therapist and one with your Taiji instructor. Explain to them the issue and ask for advice.

The massage therapist may be able to identify for you which muscles in the hip flexor group are at issue. The exercises should be able to target the ones that are most problematic but keep in mind that the whole hip flexor group needs to be addressed.

Your taiji teacher can help by verifying that your posture is correct and advise which static postures can help you develop the support you need. 

Speaking from my experience with Chen style Taiji, postures tend to require a wider deeper stance. I think this is true for all Taiji forms to greater or lesser degrees. The posture must be trained slowly and progressively over time, working from narrower higher postures gradually to the lower deeper postures as the style requires. Proper alignment is essential which is why there needs to be hands on form correction from a good teacher. There are two typical problems that come up that need to be addressed. One is lower back issues which are mainly alignment issues having to do with too much forward leaning. The other has to do with the supporting arch that is created in the wider deeper postures. This supporting arch runs through the groin and involves the thighs, the hip flexor muscles and lower back. So, the right training approach has to do with stretching, strengthing and proper aligning all done progressively over a long period through the static postures and forms.

Of course, all of this presumes that you have no physical injury to contend with, just untrained body. If you have an injury involved seek appropriate medical advice as well. You don't want to aggravate an underlaying injury.

Hope this description helps.

Thanks, I have no injury that's for sure. The first thing I did was go to the docs and tell them that I was injured, but they told me otherwise haha.

Actually, it's a more narrow stance that we have compared to all other styles (I am doing Wu style) but she is very strict on alignment. You're right, with the knowledge I have at the moment about the root of the problem, it's worth asking her as well.

I think it is common to "over shoot" a stretch. I watched a video yesterday on a static-lunge-looking pose and was educated on how a lot of us (including me) lean too far forward. The key is to apparenty gently squeeze the glutes and abs and just gently fix in position as you go down. I'm always learning :)

Edited by Rara
I missed a whole sentence, which sorta helps the post along...

7 hours ago, LightShadowDao18 said:

Ive always found this one very helpful

Image result for hip flexor lunge side stretch

Thanks, does this happen to work the upper back in unison? I'm thinking because of the twist at the waist.

I assume thay you go down like a lunge, pause, then twist? I notice that the knee doesn't touch the floor, so it must take some building up to...

Subscribe to online yoga and do yoga at least 5 hours per week. I was in exactly your situation about 6 years ago. I'd sit a lot and was doing taiji and I thought I was covered. Taiji as taught in the West is not even remotely enough to counteract dangers of sitting jobs. Ironically, taiji encourages  a drop of the pelvis so that it appears as a pelvis tuck. When you sit, your pelvis is chronically tucked. That means the taiji actually exacerbates the problem if done without this idea in mind. Most modern westerners need pelvis stick out rather than tucked.

From what you wrote, you need all kinds of back bends that focus on stretching the front of the hips/kua area. Also you need to strengthen your back muscles in your lower back area and overall core. This is not 1-2 stretches you need, you need several hourly progressions done on a regular basis. This is how I have been dealing with my problems.

• Thanks 1

Pilates is extremely good for lower back problems.  My brother who carries heavy loads for a living (scuba) had taken some time off with several issues, but pilates saved his career.

Unless your problem is stress / tension type problems and you are in hot shape ??

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rara said:

Thanks, does this happen to work the upper back in unison? I'm thinking because of the twist at the waist.

I assume thay you go down like a lunge, pause, then twist? I notice that the knee doesn't touch the floor, so it must take some building up to...

Yea that is correct. I was told theres a muscle in there that could be stretched with that and regular lunge (psoas major I think). And is responsible for alot of lower body pain. It may help to be near a table or something the lowered hand can use as support. Just a lunge stretch can also be helpful.

I seen a art doctor (active release techniques) and he recommended that stretch, regular lunge and 2 other stretches I'll post images of. I did them for about a month along with tre exercises and my regular tai chi and qi gong. Helped me tremendously. This is just my experience. Take with a grain of salt. Everybody's different.

Seated-Piriformis-Stretch.jpgPigeon.jpg

Or

Screen-Shot-2012-06-04-at-3.57.55-PM.png

• Thanks 1

Some good advice here already, thought I'd just add some pointers.

Firstly, are you sure you actually have tight/shortened hip flexors? If not, you can stretch them till the cows come home with little effect. 

Do the simple Thomas test. You can do it on your own. Best to do it more than once, as results vary, but it'll give you a good indication whether the hip flexors are tight or not. 

images-1.jpg.fd7127fff0a155fc39d88cba7c1dbefe.jpg

If you do have tight hip flexors, you should stretch and strengthen them. If not, it is still a good idea to strengthen them as well as your glutes and core, as these are more often than not the culprit for a sore lower back. 

My favorite stretches - 

Beginner - Kneeling

images-2.jpg.31c72dd2182f7db22f4589ba7d076d3f.jpg

Work up to

images-3.jpg.8072ff4b3f0e685a2088674fd8aa7258.jpg

Pigeon is good 

images-4.jpg.36c021fcb1d778635ef6ac8fe1fc842a.jpg

And a simple groin stretch

seatedgroinstretch_annotations-5bdb5062c9e77c0.thumb.jpg.0ee99a09a677cc9dd5b6ea0ba4a68a1d.jpg

That's it. No need to complicate it. Run through all at least once. Hold for min 30sec. If you can, do twice a day. If not, no biggie. Mobility work is a marathon, not a sprint. 

Strengthening exercises 

Low lunge - knee off the floor, hold 30 - 60 sec 

lunge-for-hip-flexors.jpg.a15e5412eb1ae97ed108e4c5cb46f378.jpg

Sliding feet

images-5.jpg.bed82a2c7cf11957d398a859a81ab66f.jpg

Or with ball

images4.jpg.eb173420f3f0602bb2dda35822b72378.jpg

Glute bridge

images1.jpg.e69f926a7ca7f98bf952ea7da451a063.jpg

Reverse lunges are good 

images-6.jpg.d5969c431f7b3764a3c213686e60cac3.jpg

That's it. Also, if you have a foam roller, it loosens up the area nicely. 

images-7.jpg.0909b0a890d1b424a40f0c3e96276775.jpg

When you sit in the car for a long time, tighten and flex your glutes and abs, contract them as hard as you can for 10 sec every now and then. 

On 09/12/2018 at 9:54 AM, dawei said:

This seems potentially useful as it covers both sides of the argument: whether to stretch or strengthen.   Good luck and update us :)

If they're tight, I'd say both. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, idquest said:

Subscribe to online yoga and do yoga at least 5 hours per week. I was in exactly your situation about 6 years ago. I'd sit a lot and was doing taiji and I thought I was covered. Taiji as taught in the West is not even remotely enough to counteract dangers of sitting jobs. Ironically, taiji encourages  a drop of the pelvis so that it appears as a pelvis tuck. When you sit, your pelvis is chronically tucked. That means the taiji actually exacerbates the problem if done without this idea in mind. Most modern westerners need pelvis stick out rather than tucked.

From what you wrote, you need all kinds of back bends that focus on stretching the front of the hips/kua area. Also you need to strengthen your back muscles in your lower back area and overall core. This is not 1-2 stretches you need, you need several hourly progressions done on a regular basis. This is how I have been dealing with my problems.

Yes, it would seem that the tai chi may well help in theory (my teacher is Jin Ye from the Wu Yinghua family tree) so correct form is being taught. I'm not sure if you were comparing to other tai chi taught in the west or whether my position is still relevant? Although, I think you mean that doing a lot of horse stance etc. is hardly helping?

I think you're right in what you say though - there is an imbalance of me being sat vs having enough time stretching the back out.

Here is a little detail of a typical working day:

7am wake up, potter about

8am Drive for 45 mins - 2 hours

10am 8 hour working day, usually active. At least standing work, sitting on breaks of up to 45 mins.

6pm Drive back home, 45m-2hr.

7:30/8pm Tai Chi and other exercises

9pm Sitting with dinner

9:30pm relax time. Granted, I currently live in a place with no living room, so I do notice myself "sitting up" on my bed as I either watch something on TV or on my phone. This means I am never sat on my backside at all in the eves, my back is arched against the headboard with pillow. I'll shift to lying down eventually, but my head will the be raised a bit so I can still watch something. Probably terrible for the neck, right? The neck is a secondary stiffness  but bearable.

You see, I don't think I am doing too much different from someone of my age (31) and in fact, I know people that sit or drive much more than I do during the day that don't have back pain. I do spend at least 7 hours a day on my feet afterall and should have a pretty strong core from years of martial arts/planks etc.

Anyway, I can only conclude that I need to do more time on the stretches as whatever it is, my lifestyle isn't doing it any favours, whatever it is that's causing it...

15 hours ago, rideforever said:

Pilates is extremely good for lower back problems.  My brother who carries heavy loads for a living (scuba) had taken some time off with several issues, but pilates saved his career.

Unless your problem is stress / tension type problems and you are in hot shape ??

Well...

Maybe it is! I've always known myself as a stressed guy, which is why I first took up martial arts in the first place. 10 years down the line, although I don't feel stress nearly as much, my back has gotten worse.

My masseur certainly feels tightness, which sucks as I am working daily to "let things go" most of the time I'm awake.

Edited by Rara

12 hours ago, LightShadowDao18 said:

Yea that is correct. I was told theres a muscle in there that could be stretched with that and regular lunge (psoas major I think). And is responsible for alot of lower body pain. It may help to be near a table or something the lowered hand can use as support. Just a lunge stretch can also be helpful.

I seen a art doctor (active release techniques) and he recommended that stretch, regular lunge and 2 other stretches I'll post images of. I did them for about a month along with tre exercises and my regular tai chi and qi gong. Helped me tremendously. This is just my experience. Take with a grain of salt. Everybody's different.

Seated-Piriformis-Stretch.jpgPigeon.jpg

Or

Screen-Shot-2012-06-04-at-3.57.55-PM.png

Can you feel lunges in your knees? I don't know if what I've been feeling over the past two days is healthy. Unless I'm holding the pose too long? (5-10 secs)

8 hours ago, Swede said:

Some good advice here already, thought I'd just add some pointers.

Firstly, are you sure you actually have tight/shortened hip flexors? If not, you can stretch them till the cows come home with little effect. 

Do the simple Thomas test. You can do it on your own. Best to do it more than once, as results vary, but it'll give you a good indication whether the hip flexors are tight or not. 

images-1.jpg.fd7127fff0a155fc39d88cba7c1dbefe.jpg

If you do have tight hip flexors, you should stretch and strengthen them. If not, it is still a good idea to strengthen them as well as your glutes and core, as these are more often than not the culprit for a sore lower back. 

My favorite stretches - 

Beginner - Kneeling

images-2.jpg.31c72dd2182f7db22f4589ba7d076d3f.jpg

Work up to

images-3.jpg.8072ff4b3f0e685a2088674fd8aa7258.jpg

Pigeon is good 

images-4.jpg.36c021fcb1d778635ef6ac8fe1fc842a.jpg

And a simple groin stretch

seatedgroinstretch_annotations-5bdb5062c9e77c0.thumb.jpg.0ee99a09a677cc9dd5b6ea0ba4a68a1d.jpg

That's it. No need to complicate it. Run through all at least once. Hold for min 30sec. If you can, do twice a day. If not, no biggie. Mobility work is a marathon, not a sprint. 

Strengthening exercises 

Low lunge - knee off the floor, hold 30 - 60 sec 

lunge-for-hip-flexors.jpg.a15e5412eb1ae97ed108e4c5cb46f378.jpg

Sliding feet

images-5.jpg.bed82a2c7cf11957d398a859a81ab66f.jpg

Or with ball

images4.jpg.eb173420f3f0602bb2dda35822b72378.jpg

Glute bridge

images1.jpg.e69f926a7ca7f98bf952ea7da451a063.jpg

Reverse lunges are good 

images-6.jpg.d5969c431f7b3764a3c213686e60cac3.jpg

That's it. Also, if you have a foam roller, it loosens up the area nicely. 

images-7.jpg.0909b0a890d1b424a40f0c3e96276775.jpg

When you sit in the car for a long time, tighten and flex your glutes and abs, contract them as hard as you can for 10 sec every now and then. 

If they're tight, I'd say both. 

They're a little tight. My masseur noticed my left leg/hip moreso than the right. So he advised the stretching but yes, also strengthening the core. He is a firm (no pun intended) believer in having strong glutes to support the back.

Admittedly, squeezing the glutes and abs as I write this sat down is taking some of the ache away. I'll bear this in mind to do throughout the day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rara said:

Can you feel lunges in your knees? I don't know if what I've been feeling over the past two days is healthy. Unless I'm holding the pose too long? (5-10 secs)

Certainly can feel discomfort from lunges in the knees but you dont wana feel pain. A lot of great stretches were mentioned. Perhaps best to do what works for you and that may help with stretches that are more difficult down the road.

I would definitely recommend checking out tre exercises too. Basically you do a few leg exercises to exhasust leg muscles and then hold acouple positions that induce tremors to release tension. These will start in your legs and within time work all the up to shoulders. Unfortunately there is no longer a full video available on youtube. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Three drills seem to help and are preparatory in terms of taijiquan (jibengong) --

Look at this playlist and do the hip, waist, kua rotation drills  (from the playlist below). Integrate your breathing with them and you will find that soon your hips will open up nicely. 

Edited by dwai
  • Thanks 2

Don't know if this helps hip flexors specifically, but its simple and stretches a whole lotta systems.  Sitting in a deep squat.  Relaxing and letting yourself go down as far as possible, technically butt on floor (which I can't do) and staying there for 20 to 40 seconds.  Its simple and seems to stretch all the big muscles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thelerner said:

Don't know if this helps hip flexors specifically, but its simple and stretches a whole lotta systems.  Sitting in a deep squat.  Relaxing and letting yourself go down as far as possible, technically butt on floor (which I can't do) and staying there for 20 to 40 seconds.  Its simple and seems to stretch all the big muscles.

The one I do is doing a full squat (like squatting to go potty eastern style) with my elbows pushing my knees outward - inhale and push apart, exhale and relax the kua. I find it helps my hip flexors too. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 1:11 AM, Swede said:

Hey, just a quick question about this. Do you have specific exercises? My thoughts are lunges, maybe squats and planks...

2 hours ago, Rara said:

Hey, just a quick question about this. Do you have specific exercises? My thoughts are lunges, maybe squats and planks...

There are heaps and it kinda depends what you're into and how much time you're willing to give it. 

These are some of my favorites that I do and I feel they work. 

Quads

Back squat - bb, kb, db, bw...

Front squat

Lunges - with kettlebell

Hill sprints! 

Leg press

Leg extensions

Jump flow

Hamstring 

Deadlift - conventional, sumo, snatch grip (love that one), trap bar (awesome if sore/tender lower back), kettlebell, one legged...

Back squat

Romanian deadlift

Power clean - only if somewhat familiar with o/l

Glute-ham-raise

Lying leg curls

Kettlebell swings

Glutes

Squats (see a trend..?)

Glute bridge

Hip thrusts 

Single legged Bulgarian squats

Core

Planks - all types

Ab wheel

L-sit - tucked or straight

V-ups

Kb side bends 

Heaps there, but for simplicity pick one or two from each and hit it twice a week. Or one a day.... so many variations. :)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Swede said:

There are heaps and it kinda depends what you're into and how much time you're willing to give it. 

These are some of my favorites that I do and I feel they work. 

Quads

Back squat - bb, kb, db, bw...

Front squat

Lunges - with kettlebell

Hill sprints! 

Leg press

Leg extensions

Jump flow

Hamstring 

Deadlift - conventional, sumo, snatch grip (love that one), trap bar (awesome if sore/tender lower back), kettlebell, one legged...

Back squat

Romanian deadlift

Power clean - only if somewhat familiar with o/l

Glute-ham-raise

Lying leg curls

Kettlebell swings

Glutes

Squats (see a trend..?)

Glute bridge

Hip thrusts 

Single legged Bulgarian squats

Core

Planks - all types

Ab wheel

L-sit - tucked or straight

V-ups

Kb side bends 

Heaps there, but for simplicity pick one or two from each and hit it twice a week. Or one a day.... so many variations. :)

Perfect.

I was a serial squatter back in the day, including the 5x5 program for some years. But I'm now little old me, spending more time on the martial arts etc. I'll have a go again on some of thesd exercises as my back hasn't ever been this bad. It just seems counter-productive to do weights when I have tight back muscles but maybe I'm thinking from the complete wrong angle?