Mig

Chinese Taoist Cognitive Psychotherapy: A Culturally Appropriate Form of Therapy

I found this reference in FB and I was wondering about The eight core Taoist principles in which the last 4 seems to be from different sources but not Daoist texts. Does anyone know if those last four are related to Daoists practice:

5) 知和處下 (Know harmony and be humble);
6) 以柔制剛 (Hold softness to defeat hardness);
7) 返樸歸真 (
to purity and innocence) and
8) 順其自然 (Follow the rule of nature).

https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/appsych/opus/issues/2013/fall/tsang?fbclid=IwAR1NB_DiFMkYHjTlzfA_bggdxcm5h9aYpGU9f2pVl6nj7TwXKIGkrx2Bf2A

Thanks

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mig said:

I found this reference in FB and I was wondering about The eight core Taoist principles in which the last 4 seems to be from different sources but not Daoist texts.

the article says that all of them are from DDJ

The eight core Taoist principles of CTCP are comprised of 32 Chinese characters from Tao Te Ching and used in clinical application: 1) 利而不害 (literal meaning: Benefit without harm to yourself and others); 2) 為而不爭 (literal meaning: Do your best without competition with others); 3) 少私寡慾 (literal meaning: Limit selfishness and moderate desire); 4) 知足知止 (literal meaning: Know when to stop and learn how to be satisfied); 5) 知和處下 (literal meaning: Know harmony and be humble); 6) 以柔制剛 (literal meaning: Hold softness to defeat hardness); 7) 返樸歸真 (literal meaning: Return to purity and innocence) and 8) 順其自然 (literal meaning: Follow the rule of nature)

9 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

the article says that all of them are from DDJ

I see that 7) 返樸歸真 (to purity and innocence) is from  战国策齐策四 

處下 appears in the DDJ  so if I understand correctly, for the last 4 principles it derives from terms used in the DDJ, is that correct?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mig said:

I see that 7) 返樸歸真 (to purity and innocence) is from  战国策齐策四 

處下 appears in the DDJ  so if I understand correctly, for the last 4 principles it derives from terms used in the DDJ, is that correct?

返樸 is from heshangong DDJ

https://ctext.org/pre-qin-and-han/ens?searchu=返朴

and so on, not exactly from DDJ but kind of...the author mixed and matched and paraphrased as he saw fit, and then claimed all of it is from DDJ, happens all the time in the new-age market.