wandelaar

What is wrong about being judgemental?

49 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

I think there are many meanings of judgement. I do not think we are all using the same meaning, thus confusion.

One can objectively judge a thing for suitability to a given purpose, for example when judging a handsaw for cutting wood.

One can subjectively judge a thing for aesthetic pleasure, for example when judging a handsaw for the color of the stained wood.

In both cases one is judging the same handsaw but with different criteria. The person concerned solely with function won't understand the person concerned with aesthetics and the person concerned with aesthetics won't understand the person who ignores aesthetics, and thus it begins.

In my view judgement is an essential skill that one must develop and exercise often, but when doing so one must understand the distinction between aesthetics and function. I withhold judge of others for their aesthetic choices. I similarly withhold judgement of others for their functional choices in areas that are not my concern. But in areas that are my concern, I unapologetically embrace my judgements for to do otherwise leads to confusion and suffering.

Yes, I have written 20(22)(26) characters so far. Now I will press the . Button.   . 

That moment when I said now had already passed. But I pressed the  .  Button anyway. 

Now I am cleaning my... Scrap that. I just a few seconds ago, was cleaning my front teeth with my tongue. 

I did not see my teeth or tongue. But I did feel it. 

I am in a room, and there is a yellow light illuminating the wall. It is night outside, and the sound of rain drops are falling on the window. 

What I ment was, that the raindrops are falling on the window, or against the window at an angle. Nevertheless, they are making a sound, allot of them, making a sound. Each in their own way. 

I am now thinking of a chicken. Scrap that, I was thinking of a chicken. Then I emmediatly was thinking of a kid who pointed at many white geese. Saying "Lukedaal dows shickens!" 

I am breathing at 30 breaths per minute. 

My feet is amusing me. A while ago they seemed to be dancing from side to side, and now it seems to enter into a vibratory state of shaking well above 140 hertz, I'm sure. 

Also, I'm wearing a black sock. 

My feet looks amazing in front of yellow lit wall in the background. Like a sillouhette of perfection. 

I almost broke my back trying to smell them. But they smell good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Everything said:

Yes, I have written 20(22)(26) characters so far. Now I will press the . Button.   . 

That moment when I said now had already passed. But I pressed the  .  Button anyway. 

Now I am cleaning my... Scrap that. I just a few seconds ago, was cleaning my front teeth with my tongue. 

I did not see my teeth or tongue. But I did feel it. 

I am in a room, and there is a yellow light illuminating the wall. It is night outside, and the sound of rain drops are falling on the window. 

What I ment was, that the raindrops are falling on the window, or against the window at an angle. Nevertheless, they are making a sound, allot of them, making a sound. Each in their own way. 

I am now thinking of a chicken. Scrap that, I was thinking of a chicken. Then I emmediatly was thinking of a kid who pointed at many white geese. Saying "Lukedaal dows shickens!" 

I am breathing at 30 breaths per minute. 

My feet is amusing me. A while ago they seemed to be dancing from side to side, and now it seems to enter into a vibratory state of shaking well above 140 hertz, I'm sure. 

Also, I'm wearing a black sock. 

My feet looks amazing in front of yellow lit wall in the background. Like a sillouhette of perfection. 

I almost broke my back trying to smell them. But they smell good. 

I understand every word of the above post except for "Lukedaal dows shickens!" yet have no idea what you are saying. You have lost me with your subtle humor.

Just now, Lost in Translation said:

I, too, am drinking coffee! Mm, coffee...

I was drinking coffee poored over warm milk and stirred with a litthol bit shooga. Mmmmm :)

Now I am massaging my forehead. It feels like... Stretching my whole body... Aaahhh. Like all tension left my whole body. Mmmm :)

2 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

I understand every word of the above post except for "Lukedaal dows shickens!" yet have no idea what you are saying. You have lost me with your subtle humor.

Ah I lose many things in life. Don't worry. I'll find them eventually. Otherwise, I'll just have to buy a new one. That is fun aswell. :)

Just now, Everything said:

Ah I lose many things in life. Don't worry. I'll find them eventually. Otherwise, I'll just have to buy a new one. That is fun aswell. :)

2 minutes ago, Everything said:

I was drinking coffee poored over warm milk and stirred with a litthol bit shooga. Mmmmm :)

Now I am massaging my forehead. It feels like... Stretching my whole body... Aaahhh. Like all tension left my whole body. Mmmm :)

Ah... I understand. Everyone needs their "me time." ;)

1 minute ago, Lost in Translation said:

Ah... I understand. Everyone needs their "me time." ;)

That is interesting, you know even more about me than my self. :)

Thanks for enlightening me. :wub:

• Haha 1

I think "Lukedaal dows shickens!" is going to be my mantra for the rest of the day 😂

(a la kid pointing at the flock of white geese and shout "look at all those chickens")

If a person buys into the idea that we're all one, what's the purpose of judging?  We're merely pointing the finger at ourselves. To not judge is a Practice, for the rest of our physical lives.  It's as though we're all tentacles of an octopus, not realizing we're connected at the top.  We only see fault in others because we have the same to some degree.  

Not only does the judger have a limited idea of the judged from that point on, he has a limited view of himself.  A prison of sorts for both.

A Practice, indeed, replaced by compassion rather than judgment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, manitou said:

A Practice, indeed, replaced by compassion rather than judgment.

Well said.

There is a time to judge and a time not to judge. Discerning between the two is itself a form of judgement. I have been working on letting go of my judgments since most of the time they serve only to bring me pain. It's not easy. But I still believe that judgments are fundamentally necessary to cultivate wisdom. The Tao may flow like water and that may be our ultimate ideal, but we are not water and to pretend otherwise is (at this time) foolish.

Edited by Lost in Translation
  • Like 2

But surely we use our facilities of judgement all the time ?   'Being judgemental' is using those facilities.  What  others seem to be protesting about  is when a comparative judgment is made with another person to 'look down upon' them  ?

If you see someone continually borrowing money and not paying it back, do you make a loan to them and write your money off because 'we are all one' , or do you make a judgement call and consider them untrustworthy or unreliable and not make the loan .

I know a guy, been a bad junkie for years, a couple of times he has slipped up, forgetting who he is talking to ( me, that is ) and mumbled some feeble excuse to try and get some money. I laugh at him and say 'Its me your talking to.' and he gets an embarrassed sort of laugh and diverts away from that .  Doesn't mean I bitch about him, are not friendly to him or help him in other ways .

But if you asked me about him ... about if you should loan him money, I would say ' Well, he is a junkie and you probably will not get the money back, he owes heaps of people money.

Perhaps people are meaning  'do not condemn others '   ( despise , look down upon ,   or even judge them as a lesser person )when they say 'dont be judgemental ' ?

Might be time to quote Liber Librae again   :) 

" Be not hasty to condemn others; how knowest thou that in their place, thou couldst have resisted the temptation? And even were it so, why shouldst thou despise one who is weaker than thyself?

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nungali said:

" Be not hasty to condemn others; how knowest thou that in their place, thou couldst have resisted the temptation? And even were it so, why shouldst thou despise one who is weaker than thyself?

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

Gandalf speaking to Frodo in The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

7 minutes ago, Nungali said:

What  others seem to be protesting about  is when a comparative judgment is made with another person to 'look down upon' them  ?

Bingo!

What we're really saying is "don't be an a$$#*!3." That's a far cry from "don't be judgemental."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

Gandalf speaking to Frodo in The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

Bingo!

What we're really saying is "don't be an a$$#*!3." That's a far cry from "don't be judgemental."

As yet , No rationale has been provided why one should not be either judgmental or, more broadly ,speaking, a jerk,  to others ,,( if there are others to be a jerk to). 

• Like 1

Maybe a lot of this is from a 'programme' ?    .... that one where we all get 'judged'  ... at  'the end '

The world has a loooong history of imagining such things ;

Sūrat al-Qiyāmah 

1000w

440px-Stefan_Lochner_-_Last_Judgement_-_

2l-VcjHooQ2TUWj4.jpg

St.-Peter-at-the-Pearly-Gates_thumb%2525

:) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stosh said:

As yet , No rationale has been provided why one should not be either judgmental or, more broadly ,speaking, a jerk,  to others ,,( if there are others to be a jerk to). 

I have no absolute reason why one should not be an ass other than because one chooses not to.

• Like 2

I can be both an arsehole and a jerk to others without any need to judge them at all , as lesser greater or equal to me .

I am totally non prejudice and non judgmental about who I am an arsehole to .    All are equal  in my arseholeness.

.... some of youmay have noticed this    :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nungali said:

I can be both an arsehole and a jerk to others without any need to judge them at all , as lesser greater or equal to me .

Does judgement necessarily involve comparisons to oneself? I can judge a car as good or bad with not relation to me. Are we implying that one cannot judge a person as good or bad without bringing oneself into the mix? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Does judgement necessarily involve comparisons to oneself? I can judge a car as good or bad with not relation to me. Are we implying that one cannot judge a person as good or bad without bringing oneself into the mix? 

Is there a case where one person can judge another person without bringing themselves into the equation...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost in Translation said:

I think not , the goodness status is relative to your opinions- about the virtue or lack thereof - of the car.

For ex, if you have to take a bus , for lack of any car , even a piece of carp is a step up. ( Did that, been there, and it sucks)

Though , One can from a 'sort of ' objective view make conclusions about which virtues make for a 'good' car. ( a societally approved general standard , (which is just kicking the can back a step ,,to the subjective opinions of a bunch of individuals , rather than a single one ,, which begs the question , who was it that finalized the definition where it is ? Merriam -Webster?) 

However , I think its done in the correct vein, to consider usages and applications of that which is  judgmental, coming from context in the text , rather than assume that the word usage is identical to that which we would use now, to decide how the word used was meant when it was used. Connotations change. 

In fact , I think it was expressly intended , that we observe the usages in relation to the texts more broadly- which we might be speaking in relation to- , so as not to be confused . Words like heaven , wu wei , virtue, and so forth. 

Edited by Stosh