Sign in to follow this  
rideforever

Dantien Controlling Limbs

Does anyone have a suggestion for a DVD or book that teaches how to enable the Dantien to control the body.   My understanding is that this is the result of Tai Chi practice, and I would like step by step inner exercises that result in this.
Thanks

16 hours ago, rideforever said:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a DVD or book that teaches how to enable the Dantien to control the body.   My understanding is that this is the result of Tai Chi practice, and I would like step by step inner exercises that result in this.
Thanks

You need a teacher for this. A book or DVD can’t help.

You need to develop all the correct qualities in your body - which are several steps before what you’re seeking.

A teacher would be able to see to what degree you have any of these qualities  and what you need to work on.

1 minute ago, freeform said:

You need a teacher for this. A book or DVD can’t help.

Well that's not going to happen there aren't any teacher around here and I don't have the time or money to travel around, but I do have time right here.

Yesterday I did about n hour of wuji and my dantien started doing things, making decisions, and so on ... so it's all happening right now, a little guidance would be good, it seems there are some DVDs for this actually.

7 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Well that's not going to happen there aren't any teacher around here and I don't have the time or money to travel around, but I do have time right here.

Yesterday I did about n hour of wuji and my dantien started doing things, making decisions, and so on ... so it's all happening right now, a little guidance would be good, it seems there are some DVDs for this actually.

Good luck and constantly guard against delusion if this is what you wish to do.

19 minutes ago, freeform said:

Good luck and constantly guard against delusion if this is what you wish to do.

Thanks !  Yeah thats one reason i dont like teachers

Yeah there are many terrible teachers. It’s a real shame.

But unfortunately, the nature of these arts require a teacher for any progress to be made. 

21 minutes ago, freeform said:

Actually - Is there a way for you to post a photo of you in your wuji posture? 

It's okay I have spent many years with serious teachers, indifferent traditions.
As for Wuji, it's only something I recently started and my energy body very distorted and damaged, so there is no Wuji posture as I am moving around a lot to make it work, doesn't work just to stand wuji, standing on left side right side, several postures from LKC and other books, but is working asymmetries dissolving, and chi actually flowing through both legs.
When standing simply wuji, right 1/3 of body is completely dead (invisible) and does not improve so cannot continue with that.

Today working with BKF, opening all joints front LDT down and then up, then spine enters energy canal of legs down to feet and so on.
Vibrations going, discharging, so looking good really.
Feel strong, powerful flow.
Been only 1 week doing regularly.
Not wasting time !

Edited by rideforever

laitaichi.com/pdf/Tai Chi Classics.pdf 

This link of the Tai Chi Classics has great information to study, apply and internalize the methods.

below are two  passages from the classics.

Although your abdomen is full and alive, there is no force being used. For the Qi to sink down to the Dan Tien slowly and naturally, the mind needs to be relaxed. By deeply relaxing while performing your Tai Chi movements, your Qi will move freely to every part of your body. This will benefit the body greatly. On the other hand, if you tense your mind and forcefully try to move your Qi, or use unnatural methods to circulate i, it is more than likely that blockages will occur which are harmful to your health.

Sung [Relax] the waist. The waist is the commander of the whole body. If you can sung the waist, then the two legs will have power and the lower part will be firm and stable. Substantial and insubstantial change, and this is based on the turning of the waist. It is said "the source of the postures lies in the waist. If you cannot get power, seek the defect in the legs and waist."

All movement is generated by a turn of the waist or a shift in weight. You could also say the waist is like a large gear which in turn spin the smaller fly wheels of the limbs.

• Like 1

In the Chen Tai Chi, they begin connecting fingers down to DanTien, and then later Dan Tien to fingers .... and then Dantien does all automatically that is the kind of thing I am talking about.
Yes an relax and sung waist ... 

Every tradition will have a fundamental ‘wuji’ posture that would build the correct principles into your body. If it doesn’t have one, it is not a ‘classical’ tradition - and more often than not is just a modern ‘re-interpretation’ of Qi gong. 

It’s perfectly normal to be shifting and making slight adjustments as you stand. A photo would highlight what you need to work on to a certain extent. Although I understand that not everyone would want their photo on an Internet forum!

In the first 3 to 10 years of training, there’s no need to focus on energetics. Get the shapes, alignments and principles right and the energetics will take care of themselves.

But it is very tricky to get these shapes and alignments right as they’re slightly different for each individual... and they need to change as the body changes... if you’re off by even a little bit, then the whole thing is compromised... it can be extremely subtle... hence the need for a good teacher.

• Like 1

Hmm, well that's not my plan of action.  I am not really interested in the endless over-correctiosn that teachers do.  Basically you are supposed to feel the energy otherwise what's the point.
If you don't want to feel the energy you aren't a real student.
Also let the Wuji lead you, that's also the point, that's why you do it the first place, because it knows better than you, it has higher intelligence.
You say 3 to 10 years.
Wow, I might be dead in 3 minutes.
It's a different expectation, that's why tradition only goes so far, and it's abused a lot.

Ultimately it's not hiding, if you want it, take it.

But, yeah I have spent years in certain traditions and it was good for a time.

26 minutes ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Although your abdomen is full and alive, there is no force being used.

This is the result of correct training. ‘Full’ and ‘alive’ are pointing to very specific milestones.

“Waist” in the quote above is either faulty translation or faulty understanding.

11 minutes ago, freeform said:

What is your plan of action?

Gather experience of standing, for understanding, and initialy to cause chi to flow through the numb areas so that I can stand more easily.

Dantien is coming alive and seems to wish to control the healing, often I feel like I am a thread suspended between top and bottom and twisting and turning until free, even when I sit after dantien still causing vibrations in the body.

BKF's open joints progressively seems to have improved things.

Then embryonic breathing and merging downwards from the LDT.

And sitting meditation but with almost same effect as wuji.

Plus some silk reeling, with same sung maintained, perhaps that will take me where I am talking about with limbs ?  I don't know the Chen training schedule.
Book soon arriving Wuji and Immortality.
Might add Santi in a few weeks.

11 minutes ago, freeform said:

Ok - but what is all this for? Just exploration? Or is there some goal you want to achieve?

Well I wish to grow and heal myself and complete as much as possible, and I am drawn to this manner of work, seems like it heals the body also and leads to union with the Source.   And it's a counterbalance for the meditations in Consciousness I have been doing for many years.

18 hours ago, rideforever said:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a DVD or book that teaches how to enable the Dantien to control the body.

your best bet would be this and other vids by CXW

this is closest anyone who is a real deal comes to explaining DT rotation. But unless someone really knowledgeable explains it to you personally, you would never get it. Not from books, not from vids, not from teachers.

The reasons are explained here

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

But unless someone really knowledgeable explains it to you personally, you would never get it. Not from books, not from vids, not from teachers.

Do you think that this ‘someone really knowledgeable’ couldn’t be a teacher because it threatens her livelihood?

I agree that there are many ‘secrets’ in the arts - most of the processes are completely counterintuitive and simply couldn’t be arrived at ‘accidentally’.

However, I don’t agree that all teachers hold back techniques for the sake of money. Possibly the case with lower level teachers, but a true master has developed so far that it would take a lifetime (or more) for a student to get to the same level - even with all the secrets freely available. So for them it is a joy to see the arts alive and well in their students. These things are dying out!

The nature of of these arts is that it takes many years of correct practice to begin to show any skill in them. It’s like any other skilled endeavour - practice, practice, practice. In reality 99% of students of the arts simply don’t want to make the kind of sacrifices necessary. 

Most just chase after experiences... Or just think these arts are ‘cool’ and like to feel part of the culture... Or they’re looking for some stress relief and health improvement. Or they just rather casually play around with stuff from books and videos without committing the time, energy, expense and discomfort that it takes to develop.

That’s the reason there are so many ‘empty’, ‘outer door’ schools - it gives ‘casual’ students some of the above, without requiring true commitment.

But the true masters that I have met are very keen to find students of real commitment who’ve done the necessary fundamental work to be able to begin to benefit from work at the later levels. Some even actively seek out students actually capable of receiving instruction at the intermediate levels. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, freeform said:

Do you think that this ‘someone really knowledgeable’ couldn’t be a teacher because it threatens her livelihood?

yes

1 hour ago, freeform said:

But the true masters that I have met are very keen to find students

Ah, so young, so young...

1 hour ago, freeform said:

It’s like any other skilled endeavour - practice, practice, practice.

No, its precisely unlike any other. Any other is not secret. Internal martial arts are secret. Without knowing the secret even a lifelong practice will be just a lifelong delusion.

3 hours ago, freeform said:

This is the result of correct training. ‘Full’ and ‘alive’ are pointing to very specific milestones.

“Waist” in the quote above is either faulty translation or faulty understanding.

The waist power of Tai Chi Chuan is world famous. Could you comment about any fault as you see it? 

58 minutes ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

The waist power of Tai Chi Chuan is world famous

It is famous yes. But waist is a codeword for DT rotation.

1 hour ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

The waist power of Tai Chi Chuan is world famous. Could you comment about any fault as you see it? 

Exactly as Taoist Texts says - it’s talking about the Dantien.

1 hour ago, Taoist Texts said:

No, its precisely unlike any other. Any other is not secret. Internal martial arts are secret. Without knowing the secret even a lifelong practice will be just a lifelong delusion.

I did say ‘correct practice’. Obviously if you don’t do it correctly you’re not going anywhere.

Actually there are plenty of ‘secrets’ in all kinds of practice. Everything from cooking to stone masonry.

Not sure what you’re trying to say with this

2 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

Ah, so young, so young...

:)

18 minutes ago, freeform said:

Actually there are plenty of ‘secrets’ in all kinds of practice. Everything from cooking to stone masonry.

Not sure what you’re trying to say with this

i am saying that whoever equates DT rotation with cooking, well, he undoubtedly knows cooking

;)

Sign in to follow this