Sign in to follow this  
Megantara

Releasing tensions from the limbs (need help or advice)

Hi, as title stated, any pointer on how to release tensions from our limb? i've managed to release physical tensions from my back and abdomen area, but i find it difficult to "access" tension on my limbs (beyond shoulder and buttocks), now that less tensions are felt on my body, tensions on my limbs felt more pronounced (not pain, but more as discomforts) such in triceps area. My difficulty relates to how i feel less qi around my limbs (maybe because there are tensions?), and they (limbs) barely move during meditaion. Moving meditation is not yet in my understanding, i got too focused on moving that i feel les qi as well.

Edit: i'm using sung breathing method, and starts doing ji ben qigong, which i think seems/feels similar to ba duan jin

thank you for any responses

Edited by Megantara

Try the wu ji position of zhan zhuang. Stay still for 20 minutes. Try it every day. You won't be able to maintain the position by being stiff. Your limbs will be rebalanced by the qi flow.

Just don't fix your attention anywhere. Watch tv or sth to keep you unfocused.

is it normal if zhan zhuang induces tension around buttock, and calf muscle? i think i did it correctly (like knee not more forward than toes, keep my back straight, and just let the pelvis rest/hang on air).

my experience with zhan zhuang: (wu ji and holding balloon position):

my mind is relaxed, my body (spine) is relaxed, my head sometimes got confused what to do/where its normal/natural place (sometime causing tension below jade pillow area), mostly attention goes to my breath which then follows energy flow like usual. Sometime later, my pelvis got confused too on whether it should tilt forward, backward, or just stay in place (moves in a way that can't be described as subtle), also i always feel tension around my butt sides, and calves, sometime upper body sways back and forth (balancing, not sure if its qi)

edit: i always thought zhan zhuang is for endurance, will it really work to release tensions? usually i maintain the position until trembles subside, then i walk around for a while as closing session

Edited by Megantara
adding note

In my experience, if you let the qi sink as suggested, in wu ji, then the arms will relax naturally. So will the rest of the body.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megantara said:

usually i maintain the position until trembles subside, then i walk around for a while as closing session

Do you 'wet dog' as you walk?

(Shake things out)

• Like 1

no, walking as normal, is it necessary to shake while walking? still feel  qi blanket around my arms and legs, or maybe its blood flowing, but the general feeling is qi-like

Edit:

But i massage my tensed muscles afterwards, i felt it deeply relaxing (the massage)

Edited by Megantara

I collect guided meditations and find a variety called Yoga Nidras to be very effective in relaxing the body.  They're an ancient type of yogic meditation, probably the easiest since you just lay down and listen.  A commonality of the many styles is they spend time slowly moving through the body, finger by finger, joint by joint relaxing them. 

Getting the listener into a hypnotic state of mind awake, body relaxed.  Here's a where you can find many free ones.  You can also find them on youtubes and podcasts.  The thread below has a couple of excellent guided meditations that can lead to very deep relaxation.   Sadly many great ones on the site are gone, but there's a fun sing song Gift Nidra that I hadn't heard before and is easily downloadable. http://www.yoganidranetwork.org/mp3/gift-nidra-nourish-every-dimension-being

note these differ widely, so try a couple in order to find the ones that connect best. 

On 1/15/2018 at 4:01 PM, thelerner said:

Some of the best guided meditations are from the Indian tradition called Yoga Nidra.  There are dozens if not hundreds of them available and they are wonderful for putting you into a deep state of openness and relaxation.  They tend to be less visual then most western scripts, so work well with people who don't visualize as well.  

Here is a link to a short simple 16 minute one- http://www.yoganidranetwork.org/mp3/bridget-reader-yn-1

Here's a nice one for sleep- http://www.yoganidranetwork.org/mp3/yoga-nidra-good-night-sleep

Here's a long one with nice tibetan bells  http://www.yoganidranetwork.org/mp3/colour-ling-mann

I encourage people to go to http://www.yoganidranetwork.org and try out a few, find one they like, download it and work with it.  Often there are bits we miss the first few listenings that have experiential teachings. 

For those with Amazon Alexa units, you can Open up the skill Yoga Nidra, then anytime you want to hear a nice one you simply say Play Yoga Nidra and it plays. 

I notice the Yoga Nidra network changes there selection.  One of favorite longer ones Beach and Stars is no longer available.  So if you like one, download and why not throw them the organization a pound or two for it.

Google or search youtube for Yoga nidra and you can find many other sources for them.

Saunas, wet, dry & liquid are good for relaxing the body and heck, a shot of liquor or two can also be soothing at the right time.  The pointy thorny yoga mat called a Spoonk is strangely relaxing.   Meditating after a long sweaty workout can be very relaxing. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Megantara said:

no, walking as normal, is it necessary to shake while walking? still feel  qi blanket around my arms and legs, or maybe its blood flowing, but the general feeling is qi-like

Edit:

But i massage my tensed muscles afterwards, i felt it deeply relaxing (the massage)

I wouldn't call it necessary.

It is something you can try. 

Just as you can try thelerner's suggestions. 

You'll find your own way, and what works for you. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, thelerner said:

I collect guided meditations and find a variety called Yoga Nidras to be very effective in relaxing the body.  They're an ancient type of yogic meditation, probably the easiest since you just lay down and listen.  A commonality of the many styles is they spend time slowly moving through the body, finger by finger, joint by joint relaxing them. 

i'm gonna try this as well, i've used basic yoga (yoga for complete beginner from yoga-vidya on youtube), which served me well during my initial work.

Edit: this yoga nidra thing, maybe the best practice for my wife... she always said that breathing training always cause her to feel sleepy, and so far no result because she slept so fast, lol

Edited by Megantara
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this