I have found that when I am tense I curl my fingers into a kind of fist. Likewise I have found when I straighten my fingers it relaxes me.

The mind drives the body, but the body also leads the mind.

So, make it a point to SMILE! It really will cheer you up.

• Like 5

My problem especially when driving is my jaw tenses up. I tell myself the same thing to smile and relax. Every couple of miles I have to smile again!  Isn't a little curl in the fingers natural though?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robert said:

Isn't a little curl in the fingers natural though?

Yes, but I'm talking about a "U" shape with the fingers, not a "(" shape.

I've also found that I cross my legs when nervous, so intentionally uncrossing them similarly relaxes me.

There is actually an entire science of body language that discusses unconscious "tells" that let a skilled interviewer/interrogator understand and manipulate a person. It's a fascinating body of knowledge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost in Translation said:

Yes, but I'm talking about a "U" shape with the fingers, not a "(" shape.

Turn that 'finger frown' upside down

1443524942598-1_shutterstock_168557018sm

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Smile like a flower not only with my lips but with my whole being.

Rumi

This is an entirely different kind of smile. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That reminds me I am having a filling done at the dentist tomorrow.
Drill baby drill.
Smile !!!
Actually been doing some outer dissolving on the teeth recently.

• Like 1

I gave up on that .

I am going to see a smiley Thai dancer ... in person .    Sit on the beach

1468417151_thaibeach.jpg.jpg?1468417151

and then ......

replacing-all-teeth-with-dental-implants

one of these .

• Like 1

(apparently it will also 'improve my appearance' - my lawyer said I 'Look like someone that would stab someone'   :o

Then a few from my club went to visit another  club (martial arts ) , and their instructor says to me  " You dont need to train with weapons, you just shoot people and then bury them in the backyard. "   WTF ! ?   :blink:

Gotta work on my smile !  

A few weeks in Thailand might do it ! 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBy2l8AmdRBmqQfimBC66

.... whoa!  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTU2c_IL17QTWTbKu5gqb

ummmmmm  ...... 

1357047341.jpg

:huh:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

- my lawyer said I 'Look like someone that would stab someone'   :o

Guffaw.

Then a few from my club went to visit another  club (martial arts ) , and their instructor says to me  " You dont need to train with weapons, you just shoot people and then bury them in the backyard. "   WTF ! ?   :blink:

Gasp!

I am going to see a smiley Thai dancer ... in person .    Sit on the beach

Aw... Good idea.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Toni said:

smile with all the cells of your body!

And smile at everyone with whom you make eye contact. You can feel the connection and love when they smile back! 

• Like 2

I have been practicing smiling because I want to make myself lighter. I want my interactions with others to be more pleasant and feel that by starting the (non verbal) conversation with a smile I set a better tone for the interactions that follow.

Also it makes me feel better.

• Like 1

Deliberately starting to smile admittedly is somewhat forced, but hopefully others will appreciate your good intention behind it. When they show their appreciation of your good intention by smiling back at you, than that will give you reason for a real smile. And so no matter how contrived it started, some real joy may very well result.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wandelaar said:

Deliberately starting to smile admittedly is somewhat forced, but hopefully others will appreciate your good intention behind it. When they show their appreciation of your good intention by smiling back at you, than that will give you reason for a real smile. And so no matter how contrived it started, some real joy may very well result.

image.png.abdb626509e8f539fe89c1c784a1c4cd.png

10 minutes ago, Nungali said:

image.png.abdb626509e8f539fe89c1c784a1c4cd.png

Don't know where that picture is from, but it perfectly illustrates my point: it's the perceived intention behind the smile that's relevant. When the perceived intention is malignant (as in the above case) than the smile will not lead to joy. 

On 11/30/2018 at 2:09 PM, wandelaar said:

Don't know where that picture is from, but it perfectly illustrates my point: it's the perceived intention behind the smile that's relevant. When the perceived intention is malignant (as in the above case) than the smile will not lead to joy. 

It’s Ryunosuke Tsukue, played by Tatsuya Nakadai, from the film Sword of Doom. Great samurai flick by Kihachi Okimoto. It’s based on a famous and popular Japanese serial from the early 20th century titled Daibosatsu Toge. Great story about an itinerant and unbeatable ronin. Okimoto planned a trilogy of films but died after the first so the ending is a bit unsatisfying for many.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:34 AM, steve said:

And smile at everyone with whom you make eye contact. You can feel the connection and love when they smile back! 

I think when you look into the black pupils of another you're looking into the Void.  The thing that we all possess and makes us One.  We all have the pupils, it seems to be the only physicality common to all of us.

Just guessing.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2018 at 12:45 PM, steve said:

It’s Ryunosuke Tsukue, played by Tatsuya Nakadai, from the film Sword of Doom. Great samurai flick by Kihachi Okimoto. It’s based on a famous and popular Japanese serial from the early 20th century titled Daibosatsu Toge. Great story about an itinerant and unbeatable ronin. Okimoto planned a trilogy of films but died after the first so the ending is a bit unsatisfying for many.

Unbeatable ?   Only if you will NOT fight someone that CAN   beat you 

from 2:30 .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nungali said:

Unbeatable ?   Only if you will NOT fight someone that CAN   beat you 

from 2:30 .

Another fan!?

Well met!

Are you a fan of Nagisa Oshima? Gohatto?

Edited by steve