Vajra Fist

Why do so few qigong masters radiate vitality?

An old master (50yrs +) who looks young (20/30 years old) could prove the efficacy of his methods by his mere presence. 

Maybe in 10 years or so, we will have one... but for now, there's no such a thing as qigong for longevity, IMHO. 

As for vitality, it's a matter of good diet and normal physical exercise ( jogging, etc).  You can't find exceptional vitality in qigong masters. 

Edited by Cheshire Cat
  • Like 1

There are so many types of energy and endless growth.

One can radiate at times and at the very same time be going through massive changes - for many years. 

Some learn invisibility and others are more on the surface while some are charismatic.

Traditional yoga is primarily meditation - western “yoga” is primarily a work out regime.

For some Qi Gong masters it is like walking in a volcano in private - for others it is a Well  to draw from - for some it is like walking in  a sun and for some it is all of these.

For many- it is like Western”Yoga” - a work out of sorts to ward off aging and stagnant Qi.  For some it is a tidy business with good money to be made in seminars.

For some it is their way and the students are simply practicing with them.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Spotless said:

There are so many types of energy and endless growth.

One can radiate at times and at the very same time be going through massive changes - for many years. 

Some learn invisibility and others are more on the surface while some are charismatic.

Traditional yoga is primarily meditation - western “yoga” is primarily a work out regime.

For some Qi Gong masters it is like walking in a volcano in private - for others it is a Well  to draw from - for some it is like walking in  a sun and for some it is all of these.

For many- it is like Western”Yoga” - a work out of sorts to ward off aging and stagnant Qi.  For some it is a tidy business with good money to be made in seminars.

For some it is their way and the students are simply practicing with them.

There's a post I like, laugh and thank...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Cheshire Cat said:

An old master (50yrs +) who looks young (20/30 years old) could prove the efficacy of his methods by his mere presence. 

Maybe in 10 years or so, we will have one... but for now, there's no such a thing as qigong for longevity, IMHO. 

This exists now.

And yes - there is Chang Ming Shu and many other longevity techniques.

And yes - these produce people looking maybe half their age, and resolving sicknesses, etc..

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 3

I find that my health always allows for itself. I find that if I have any uncomfortable condition, it always heals itself. So maybe, we all deserve to be healthy. My feet never falls appart on its own. My hands have always stuck together. It seems that I have been healthy most of my life. I guess our natural state of being is a healthy one.

Infact, one particular area in my body has the ability to grow in vitality from time to time. For example, when I look at yoga videos.

I know our hair follicles can grow in vitality.

Some people can grow vitality in their nipples.

Some people can grow vitality in their muscles.

Some can grow vitality in their bones.

Some people in their mind.

Some in their heart.

Some in their belly.

Where does all this vitality come from? It keeps flowing from its Source. And I simply enjoy it. I find it more easy to allow this flow to flow more fully, in some situations, than others. But that doesn't mean, I cannot learn, to allow my vitality to flow more fully through me in all situations. It simply takes some getting used to it. Our bodies are very addaptible. Flexible. Very vibrant. Very exuberant. By its nature.

Edited by Everything
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

This exists now.

...aaand it doesn't work. :lol:

17 hours ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

And yes - these produce people looking maybe half their age, and resolving sicknesses, etc..

No, they don't. You don't really need to do anything to appear considerably young until 40. The real feat would be to appear in your 20/30, when you're over 50.

Before delving into miracles, why not cure myopia and baldness with qigong? Because it doesn't work.

7 hours ago, Cheshire Cat said:

No, they don't. You don't really need to do anything to appear considerably young until 40. The real feat would be to appear in your 20/30, when you're over 50.

Before delving into miracles, why not cure myopia and baldness with qigong? Because it doesn't work.

Myopia and baldness are easy to reverse.

So are diabetes and cancer.

And it IS people over 50 that I am referring to.

This kind of Qigong and the various techniques associated with it in terms of food and health does exist right now.

But in the modern world, with people wanting Qigong due to seeing martial arts and movies - this is attracting nobody.

Nobody is selling this right now.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Thanks 1

On 22/11/2018 at 7:12 PM, Vajra Fist said:

For all the promises of qigong and tai chi...

They are products of our pop culture.

Attend a Vipassana retreat in SE Asia and you'll see with your own eyes what vitality, radiance, love and compassion are. Why? Because they practice non-stop for 3 weeks!! :)

The more the merrier. ;)

I would consider Grandmaster Lu Zijian a master with great "vitality". Theres several clips on youtube of him performing his practices at 118 years old!

Theres also a video of him smoking cigarettes over 100 and with his girlfriend that was half his age. He attributed his longevity and health to practicing internal arts and qigong. 

Or perhaps he'd hit the gene pool lottery. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to say thanks all for the replies. I came with strong views, but I've listened to some compelling counter arguments, and tried some promising new exercises (thanks those who posted ping shaui gong vids). My views on the issue are now more ambivalent, and not as black and white. 

Grateful to this forum and you all. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

So are diabetes and cancer.

[...]

Yes, there's qigong for cancer... but it's secret and none knows about it :lol:

1*5F6HFOgwIkjA5sRBkc_VvQ.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Yes, there's qigong for cancer... but it's secret and none knows about it :lol:

Pretty much, that is the truth. 

Not "secret", but not "mainstream" either.

People find mostly just what it is they have been told to find.

Nobody is packaging and selling this right now.

-VonKrankenhaus

On 11/22/2018 at 3:40 PM, vonkrankenhaus said:

If you think that is "vitality", then OK.

I think we would need to define what "vitality" could be.

By old standards, this would mean "self-sufficient", in the sense of not requiring any assistance to live - no hospitals or professional care-takers. Able to freely GIVE assistance to others.

So anyone with sickness or cancer, mental problems, etc - no.

Curing these in others - yes.

And ability to do what one wants to without experiencing "obstacles".

That means never reason to complain.

Just "gratitude" for all - even "bad", even "good" - they have transcended this.

That means no "enemies".

These are something like the qualities of healthy and vital developed people in old times.

We could list many more.

But we cannot find these easily today in people we see, even "teachers".

Because that part is missing from most people's studies, how to achieve this.

-VonKrankenhaus

not a stringent list of qualifications imo, i know several who qualify under this list for the past ten years.

check back in another 20 years and see if i still make this claim

but then none of us 'qualifiers' are teachers either, so---

we do qigong

and even the basic qigongs have layers and layers to work through

one can go Deep with basic qigongs

play with it enough and you get the feel for it

• Like 1

I think the question posed by the OP is actually a very good question. I started my whole journey with qigong but while I still find it interesting tend to do a lot more Buddhism and yoga for reasons that have already been listed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zerostao said:

not a stringent list of qualifications imo, i know several who qualify under this list for the past ten years.

check back in another 20 years and see if i still make this claim

but then none of us 'qualifiers' are teachers either, so---

we do qigong

and even the basic qigongs have layers and layers to work through

one can go Deep with basic qigongs

play with it enough and you get the feel for it

I'm trying to understand what you wrote there.

I wrote basically that the health and longevity practices and medicine associated with Qigong are absent from almost all Qigong taught today.

Instead, overblown health claims are made about what are very basic Qigong exercises.

The claims are empty, and so are the result for the most part.

Those exercises are not by themselves health or longevity techniques. 

Wouldn't matter how many times or how long you do them, they will not change into health or longevity techniques.

Even current teaching in Chinese medicine is missing those parts, and further, is missing there being any modern application of them.

I only say this because I have been studying this situation for half a century.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 5

3 hours ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

I wrote basically that the health and longevity practices and medicine associated with Qigong are absent from almost all Qigong taught today.

Instead, overblown health claims are made about what are very basic Qigong exercises.

Wouldn't matter how many times or how long you do them, they will not change into health or longevity techniques.

Even current teaching in Chinese medicine is missing those parts, and further, is missing there being any modern application of them.

-VonKrankenhaus

my chosen qigong, baguazhang, fits into the above  op description  qigong/tai chi

baguazhang contains every element of Taoist Alchemy & higher energetics---

of course i do other practices and cannot claim that qigong alone has increased my health longevity on its own

but it sure as heck has played a major role.

your studies have led you to your opinion

and mine have led me to mine.

i say this because at the moment i am likely 30 years younger than i was 10 years ago

soon after i began qigong i started doing shen gong but that was the natural progression

it leads to meditative moments that get one somewhere

and it can be done in basic qigong

or wu chi

whatever suits

and i already said let's look at the situation 20 years from now

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

Okay then how do we find what you talk about? Will you tell anything?:lol:

Can it be found in the internet or we have to get our fat asses out to the mountains?

Hou Shuying?

Edited by King Jade
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 11:19 AM, rideforever said:
On 11/25/2018 at 4:02 PM, Nintendao said:

Do you have experience of these people ?  Are they any good ?

Hi Ridefor. I've only taken their correspondence courses, but was not disappointed. They both have genuinely walked the walk of warrior becomes healer becomes priest. 

Woody "Wu Dhi" Schwartz is contagiously exuberant. I would say that he radiates vitality, and then some. He still runs a clinic in south FL where he'll treat everything from indigestion to exorcism. Even used to teach Flying Crane Qigong for free on the beach to anyone that showed up. His unique brand of Recharging Qigong is a special designed blend of lots of different traditions, including yoga and good old calisthenics, so i guess he's got an advantage as far as this thread discussion, LOL. Anyway, he's put a lot of video on youtube worth checking out https://www.youtube.com/user/drwudhi/videos

The Damo-Qigong is more esoteric, but absolutely potent. Their exercises are different than most things you see these days because it's all done sitting half lotus and each main posture is held still for a really long time. I remember being drawn to it because the website (which btw 8 years ago looked a lot different) was so inconspicuous yet contained some seriously deep articles. The attitude was not targeting at all to people who just wanted to "do" qigong, but to those that had some serious condition that they wanted to use the "internal medicine" for. Most the articles are still in there if you get through the annoying stock menu. The study materials are made by Hu Xuezhi at Mt. Wudang. Getting back to vitality, i'd say he looks pretty healthy, too. https://youtu.be/Zim9daMzwpQ

Edited by Nintendao
updated hyperlink
  • Like 1

Why do so many yoga people not have any martial skill? 

Tranquility + exercise = yoga and internal arts. There are countless benefits to these methods of exercise.

Being lazy and judging others abilities = To scared to do the work for oneself and then complain that someone else can not do the work for them.

Oh they all look like shit and and are ruining everything for me, One teacher had a white hair and he is only 68 years old and he had glasses, how can ever learn, I cant learn, I do not want to learn that crap, it is all just garbage and a waste of time...... But this hot chick born beautiful with no need to exercise doing some yoga poses, that totally works for me. I am going to join her class so I can be beautiful like her. She must have amazing skills to look like that wouldn't you say? She is 17 but looks like she could be 21.

I went to India and met this amazing Yoga guru he radiated vitality. You are all just wasting your time with that other crap, you do not know what you are missing. Then I learned he was human what a waste of time. 

Edited by Wu Ming Jen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3