Sign in to follow this  
rene

Seeking D-cell battery charging advice

I have a portable radio that uses 4 D-cell batteries. It only pulls 8 watts.

What I want/need is a way to charge (re-charge) the batteries using solar only. I'd put one set in the radio and a second set on the charger in the sun. And maybe a third charged up set ready to go, lol, for winter cloudy days backup.

Any and all ideas and product recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

There are a couple of such chargers out there, but beware.  Most of the affordable ones <$100 are slow, like two days to charge slow and may be troublesome.

A cheaper solution might be buying a bunch of cheap rechargeable batteries, charging and bringing enough with you so that you can recharge them at home days or weeks later.

caveat emptor  

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=362117843080&category=48618&pm=1&ds=0&t=1522451700000&ver=0

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Battery-Charger-Charges-Supply/dp/B001ALF2CY

On the third hand, there are portable radios that run by crank.  Often having lights in them too.  I had one, it wasn't very loud, but it worked.  That might not be a bad way to go.  This kinda thing, https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Portable-Flashlight-Household-Survival/dp/B0774RRYZP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1542511941&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=crank+radio&psc=1

or this one for $19 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFCFKG5/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01MFCFKG5&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=OIa18&pf_rd_r=A338NNJNY5Z4JZ98292V&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=TzIgo&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=96fd2114-eae2-11e8-a0b8-b3ecfb8dcc27

note both get better reviews and are rated higher then solar battery chargers.

Edited by thelerner
  • Thanks 1

There are a few 6 VDC solar panels available, some under $10.

You would have to make your own charging rack.  Maybe a PVC tube with one spring cap to insure good connection between batteries.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thelerner said:

There are a couple of such chargers out there, but beware....

Thanks for the ideas & links (-:

The idea of hand cranked intrigued me so searching reviews & then specs on the top rated one said 15-20 min of listening for 5 min of cranking. Hmmm...lol. A quantity of rechargeables might be the way to go. Thanks again (-:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marblehead said:

There are a few 6 VDC solar panels available, some under $10.

You would have to make your own charging rack.  Maybe a PVC tube with one spring cap to insure good connection between batteries.

I like the idea of making my own charger! Can you tell me more about this set-up & components? Or where I might find more info? Thanks!

3 hours ago, rene said:

I like the idea of making my own charger! Can you tell me more about this set-up & components? Or where I might find more info? Thanks!

Well, a solar panel or panel assembly can be found by doing a search for  -  -  6 VDC Solar Panel.

Amazon has a number of them but I'm sure others are available from other sources.  I would opt for just the panel so to keep it as simple as possible.

The batteries could be mounted in a PVC tube just large enough for the batteries to be mounted in.  This would reduce the number of electrical connections.  The tube, bottom capped with a coil spring inside like in flashlight with a wire running through the bottom cap for connecting Negative on tube to negative from solar panel.

Top of tube would be top cap with battery contact plate on the inside with a wire going to the outside for connecting the positive of battery tube to positive wire of solar panel.

Of course, a four-battery flash light could be modified and be used as the batteries mount.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rene said:

Thanks for the ideas & links (-:

The idea of hand cranked intrigued me so searching reviews & then specs on the top rated one said 15-20 min of listening for 5 min of cranking. Hmmm...lol. A quantity of rechargeables might be the way to go. Thanks again (-:

some radios need no electricity or batteries ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_radio

photo.JPG

36 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Well, a solar panel or panel assembly can be found by doing a search for  -  -  6 VDC Solar Panel.

Amazon has a number of them but I'm sure others are available from other sources.  I would opt for just the panel so to keep it as simple as possible.

The batteries could be mounted in a PVC tube just large enough for the batteries to be mounted in.  This would reduce the number of electrical connections.  The tube, bottom capped with a coil spring inside like in flashlight with a wire running through the bottom cap for connecting Negative on tube to negative from solar panel.

Top of tube would be top cap with battery contact plate on the inside with a wire going to the outside for connecting the positive of battery tube to positive wire of solar panel.

Of course, a four-battery flash light could be modified and be used as the batteries mount.

Right, good ideas, thanks (-:

Hmm - wont a 6v panel fry a 1.5v D-cell directly wired to it? Maybe there's a charge controller that could be put between them?

Good idea using a 4-battery flashlight for housing..wonder if I should use a plastic cased one lol

shutterstock_57484036.jpg

1 hour ago, rene said:

Hmm - wont a 6v panel fry a 1.5v D-cell directly wired to it? Maybe there's a charge controller that could be put between them?

Good idea using a 4-battery flashlight for housing..wonder if I should use a plastic cased one lol

The batteries will be in series.  That means that 1.5 VDC times 4 batteries equals 6VDC.

If you consider the flashlight thing all you will need is a cheap plastic one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

The batteries will be in series.  That means that 1.5 VDC times 4 batteries equals 6VDC.

Oh excellent!

Dont most normal chargers have an auto shutoff, either timed or metered? How will I know when they're ready to go? Will a continued charge hurt them if I dont get them off in time? Are you sorry yet you started to help me? :lol:

I truly appreciate your time on this, MH, thank you. I really need to find a workable way...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rene said:

Oh excellent!

Dont most normal chargers have an auto shutoff, either timed or metered? How will I know when they're ready to go? Will a continued charge hurt them if I dont get them off in time? Are you sorry yet you started to help me? :lol:

Yes, most chargers we buy today have a peak voltage shut-off.  Most any solar panel you buy will have a peak voltage output of 7.2 VDC.  Charging to that voltage won't harm the batteries.

You could buy a cheap volt meter (less than $20) to put in line with the panel/batteries and you would know what the voltage of the batteries are if you read the meter at night time when the panel isn't putting out a charge. 

No, not sorry.  It was a challenge for me when I first started with my solar system for the fish ponds.  There was no one I could find who knew much about solar electric panels.  I was around electricity for the twenty years I was in the Army so most of what I had to do was already first hand knowledge.

16 minutes ago, rene said:

I truly appreciate your time on this, MH, thank you. I really need to find a workable way...

Yeah, I can understand you wanting to be off-grid as much as possible and still have the ability to do things

This little project will get you some first hand knowledge with solar electric systems.  Might even cause you to invest more so that you have more capabilities.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yes, most chargers we buy today have a peak voltage shut-off.  Most any solar panel you buy will have a peak voltage output of 7.2 VDC.  Charging to that voltage won't harm the batteries.

You could buy a cheap volt meter (less than $20) to put in line with the panel/batteries and you would know what the voltage of the batteries are if you read the meter at night time when the panel isn't putting out a charge. 

No, not sorry.  It was a challenge for me when I first started with my solar system for the fish ponds.  There was no one I could find who knew much about solar electric panels.  I was around electricity for the twenty years I was in the Army so most of what I had to do was already first hand knowledge.

Yeah, I can understand you wanting to be off-grid as much as possible and still have the ability to do things

This little project will get you some first hand knowledge with solar electric systems.  Might even cause you to invest more so that you have more capabilities.

Here's the really sad part. We're already totally off-grid & powered only by solar. Had the massive system installed in 2016; it's big enough that other than wood for heat - everything is electric. Fridge, HW, AC in the summer, TV, lights, crockpots, even battery chargers.

So why am I trying to do this for my 4 D-cells?

Because all this electric hum in the cabin is tossing what's left of my noggin. The only thing that doesn't bother me much is a portable radio...and soft music is nice. That's why I'm building the wire-free chalet (see Viking thread), it will be a place I can get away from even the off-grid fully modern constantly buzzing cabin. I used to know how it all worked, but dont now..and the last thing I want in the chalet is a humming inverter & fans running...

So. There's a sunny spot about 50' away from where the chalet will be built, and all I want is to run my radio. Your idea seems simple enough for me to do. (-: You know the rest.

Thanks again!

Edited by rene
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, rene said:

Here's the really sad part. We're already totally off-grid & powered only by solar. Had the massive system installed in 2016; it's big enough that other than wood for heat - everything is electric. Fridge, HW, AC in the summer, TV, lights, crockpots, even battery chargers.

I thought I knew that this is your situation.  But my suggestion is without any alternate source.

Yes, you could just buy a 4-D cell battery charger and plug it into your existing system.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I thought I knew that this is your situation.  But my suggestion is without any alternate source.

Yes, you could just buy a 4-D cell battery charger and plug it into your existing system.

Yes, thats what I do now, but that will soon change...just tryin to stay alive here lol. I'm going to build your idea & pick up a volt meter with the parts & will let you know how it works.

Thanks again! 🌲🦋❤ :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rene said:

Yes, thats what I do now, but that will soon change...just tryin to stay alive here lol. I'm going to build your idea & pick up a volt meter with the parts & will let you know how it works.

Thanks again! 🌲🦋❤ :)

Sounds good.  And yes, the solar system would be better for use in your quiet place.  No noise at all.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this