3bob

speed of light foray

Can two galaxies move away from each other faster than the speed of light? The short, and possibly surprising, answer to this question is yes.

The Hubble constant is the measure of how fast the Universe is expanding today and its value has been measured to be 70 km/s per Megaparsec (a parsec is just a unit of distance equal to about 3.26 light-years, and a Megaparsec is a million parsecs). This means that on average, for every Megaparsec two galaxies are separated by, they are moving away from each other by 70 km/s. Therefore, to be moving away from each other at the speed of light, two galaxies would need to be separated by a distance of about 4,300 million parsecs. This is smaller than the radius of the observable Universe, therefore not only are there galaxies in the Universe that are moving away from us faster than light, but we can still see them!

This raises two additional questions:

1. If another galaxy is moving away from us faster than light, how can we still see it?
  2. Isn't it a violation of the theory of relativity to have two things moving apart faster than the speed of light?

The answer to the first of these questions is that the light the distant galaxy is emitting today will never reach us, so we will never know what it looks like today. This is because today it is moving away from us faster than light, so the light it emits doesn't travel fast enough to ever reach us. However, the light that it emitted billions of years ago, when the Universe was smaller (remember it has been expanding all along) and when that galaxy wasn't receding from the Milky Way as fast, is what we are seeing today. In other words, we are seeing that galaxy as it was billions of years ago.

The second question is an interesting one that confuses many people. The theory of relativity does indeed state that nothing can travel faster than light, however this refers to motion in the traditional sense, meaning you can't launch a spaceship and travel through space faster than light. The two galaxies we've been discussing are not travelling through space, it is the space between them that is expanding. Or put in another way, they are stationary and all the space around them is being stretched out. This is why it doesn't violate the theory of relativity, because it is not motion in the traditional sense.

Note that this question is closely related to: Is the Universe expanding faster than the speed of light? 

from Ask An Astronomer,  This page was last updated on February 3, 2016.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

reasons why we really need to get the star gates up and working again,  Col. Carter where are you? 

Cartersamantha.jpg

SG-1's science expert and theoretical astrophysicist, Samantha Carter was responsible for deciphering the Stargateaddress system and designing the dialing computer, allowing Earth to use the Stargate without its companion D.H.D..  Brave, devoted and extremely intelligent, she is Earth's leading authority on the Stargate and wormhole theory, as well as a member of the Air Force.

Carter graduated at the top of her class from the U.S. Air Force Academy. As a pilot, she logged over 100 hours in enemy air space during the Persian Gulf War. She spent two years at the Pentagon trying to make the Stargate program a reality from about 1994 to 1996, before Dr. Daniel Jackson ever deciphered the Stargate and allowed the gate to be activated.

Edited by 3bob

1 hour ago, 3bob said:

Can two galaxies move away from each other faster than the speed of light? The short, and possibly surprising, answer to this question is yes.

which negates the whole relativity theory because it is based on a premise that nothing can be faster than the light speed,

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

which negates the whole relativity theory because it is based on a premise that nothing can be faster than the light speed,

did you read the whole thing?

22 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

My hands used to move faster than a woman's mind could anticipate.

no guy, they just fooled you or you fooled yourself...

btw. I'm surprised someone messed with moving this op faster than the speed of light to the black hole- oops I mean the rabbit hole since we have so many people here that often enjoy taking forays along the lines of op's subject matter.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 3bob said:

I'm surprised someone messed with moving this op faster than the speed of light to the black hole- oops I mean the rabbit hole

I moved it because general discussion is for practice or system based discussions. Galaxies moving at the speed of light and SG1character bios do not fit. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kar3n said:

I moved it because general discussion is for practice or system based discussions. Galaxies moving at the speed of light and SG1character bios do not fit. :)

no biggy,  good thing you don't have to move all the strings here (which are a great many) that quickly morph into astronomy or physics.

1 hour ago, Taoist Texts said:

yes. their " travel is not really travel" is nonsense

besides the earth is flat anyway...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Space itself expanding faster than the speed of light (and carrying along whatever is in it) is not a violation of SRT, as the latter only applies to objects moving in space.

Here, however, we are dealing with the same kind of phenomenon that makes a so-called warp drive possible (in principle, anyway).

This is rather Scotty's area of expertise than Major Cartwright's, though...

• Like 2

ok, Seems Scotty and Carter should have met up at some point with all the warp and worm-hole jumps...hopefully they don't run into Khan somewhere...

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

Well, anyhow, yes, science is telling us that the universe is expanding faster than the sped of light.  Dark Energy in action.  And if this continues the universe will experience a cold, dark death.

But Dark Matter is laying in wait for its time to start bringing the universe back together again into a Big Crunch.

• Like 1

I wonder sometimes when I spill a bit of water while drinking.  I picture one drop of the water in slow motion, and imagine the myriad of life within the tiny globe and what their experience is when the drop hits the ground... or when it flows over a waterfall down the river to the ocean... or down the driveway along the gutter and into the sewer... or down my esophagus to my belly.

worlds within worlds... perhaps on some scale, our entire universe is but a drip... a tiny life infused plop, rushing along the stream of...

As above, so below.  As within, without.  Those words when I first heard them as a young man were like a clarion bell ringing in my mind.  The ramifications of it have resonated with me my entire adult life and flavored much of my perception.  The implications of it are staggering to me.

Fibonacci smiles... fractally.

Edited by silent thunder
added link
  • Like 2

"as above so below" has always sounded interesting and profound except in the context of:

"Privates, I'm knee deep in your ass right now because the 1st Sgt was knee-deep in my ass this morning, and shit rolls down hill!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

anyway back to the scientific stuff like how do Sages walk through walls, or traverse the entire universe in the blink of an eye?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 3bob said:

anyway back to the scientific stuff like how do Sages walk through walls, or traverse the entire universe in the blink of an eye?

According to quantum mechanics, particles do those things naturally. And I imagine those sages do them the same way - on the macroscopic level!

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

"How long would it take spacecraft to reach the nearest star at 98% of the speed of light?

LM
Apr 12, 2018

Answer:

4329 years, 216 days

Explanation:

our nearest star, Proxima Centauri, 4,243 light years away.

this means that at the speed of light (3108m/s) it would take 4,243 years to get there.

travelling at 98% the speed of light, it would take 4,24310.98 years.

42430.98=4329.591836..., or 43292949

2949 years is 2949365.25 days, or 216 days (to the nearest day)

this means that it would take the spacecraft 4329 years and 216 days to reach Proxima Centauri, travelling at 98% the speed of light."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That being the case why so much study of distant stars, systems and other galaxies when we have lots of things to deal with in our own solar system (like on mars and various moons of the planets) if we are going to spread out establishing new places there to live, since we  sure don't have 4K+ years to make it to another star and whatever system it may have!  ...more like 50-100 years here if we are fortunate and drastically turn things around from the way they are presently headed. (which would buy us some time as a species)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 3bob said:

our nearest star, Proxima Centauri, 4,243 light years away.

That star actually is about 4.24 ly away!  http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/12lys.html

That's a 5 year trip at near light speeds, not 5000 years. Our fastest space probe today will top around 0.06% of light speed, so the point is still valid: Humans are not likely to travel to another star system under conventional paradigms. Supposedly the math has already been solved for how to create a "warp bubble" that would effect faster than light traveling. The amount of energy required to power such a device is said to be greater than the amount of energy in the known universe, so that's another facepalm. Fringe physics (such as Nassim Haramein) is saying that the answer waits not in the matter/energy we can see directly, but in the potential present within every point of empty space. When we can learn the holographic harmonics of coaxing an entire universe out of a single proton, possibilities really start opening up.

• Thanks 1

The occupants of a spaceship travelling at nearly the speed of light will experience the distance that is to be travelled as contracted according to the Lorentz contraction. So for that kind of speeds one has to use the special theory of relativity to get an idea of what is happening.

• Like 1

so who knows how long it would take to accelerate to, and de-accelerate from near light speeds to enable landing on a dime somewhere in a "galaxy far, far away"?  I know that only so many G's can be withstood for so long by a person in tip top shape wearing the best suit for it... but wait-  that is why the internal space dampeners were invented so we could to go from 0 mph to warp 9 in 8.7 seconds if the Romulans were around.

On 13/11/2018 at 6:05 PM, 3bob said:

The theory of relativity does indeed state that nothing can travel faster than light

My understanding is that it states that you cannot travel at the speed of light but nothing prohibits you travelling faster.   Also note that many "constants" are not necessarily constant.