Sign in to follow this  
moraldilemma

Let's try this again

Hey guys. I've made an intro thread already but I haven't been here in forever. Finished rehab for alcohol use disorder a week and a half ago. So I'm not only returning to Dao Bums but also sobriety. It's going pretty well so far although I've been sick. Having a contagious virus also gives me time to read and reflect on spirituality (and play too much playstation).

I've decided if I'm going to keep from going over the edge again I'm gonna have to make meditation a big priority. I do Zazen and I'm getting into other forms of mindfulness. I'm going to outpatient recovery groups and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with my shrink. Just started reading about Hermetics and it feels like a path I want to travel. I'm going to start regular yoga classes when I'm not sick. I would take qigong but there aren't any local teachers and I can't do the online thing (I've wasted too much money trying).

So there you go. It's pretty cool that this site is still here and kicking. I've looked for other esoteric boards and all the ones I found were super dead. Oh yeah, does anybody know how to view full profiles on mobile? Thanks for reading.

il_340x270.1106387282_qe09.jpg

Edited by moraldilemma
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, moraldilemma said:

Oh yeah, does anybody know how to view full profiles on mobile?

Click the member name and scroll down to the drop down menu (Activity).

Welcome back :)

• Thanks 1

Yes but I wrote a quote in my "about me" and I can't see it anywhere. I'm assuming most people wrote things in that field but I can't see anyone else's  either when I click on their profiles. Am I missing something?

27 minutes ago, moraldilemma said:

Yes but I wrote a quote in my "about me" and I can't see it anywhere. I'm assuming most people wrote things in that field but I can't see anyone else's  either when I click on their profiles. Am I missing something?

This is a screenshot of your profile. If you scroll down to Activity and click it a menu will drop. Make your selection from there.

20181110_190700.thumb.jpg.2bb65a6c40585f7f029123887c7d9c02.jpg

I suppose some write about themselves. I can't say for sure, because I really haven't looked.

If a person has not written in the about me field when setting up their profile it will not be visible in the drop down menu. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I was able to see mine. I tried looking at a bunch of other people's but didn't see any. I guess nobody else bothered. I think the best part of making an online profile is putting snazzy quotes in the about me part. Oh well.

While we're at it, the rules page wasn't loading for me for some reason. Are we allowed to cuss here?

1526880308757.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, moraldilemma said:

Are we allowed to cuss here?

Yeah, some do, I have on occasion. We try not to censor unless it is overly vulgar, pronographic or a personal attack against another member. Just be civil with other memebers, don't post any nudes and you're in the clear. ;)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, moraldilemma said:

Right on. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the help.

But don't fuckin' cuss too much.  People might think this site is based in Australia.

Oh!  Damn!  I forgot to congratulate you on your advancement.  Sounds like you have been doing some serious work at getting yourself on a functional path.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Welcome back. I have found spirituality and meditation to be my "anti-drug" if you will, a very positive outlet and one that you can dive into endlessly... your supply will never run out! 

Onto the more important stuff, what video games are you into? :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Congratulations on your decision to stay away from demon alcohol. I have always assumed (?!) I was some sort of alcoholic on a daily maintenance plan. Mediation and QiGong have helped a lot along with some medicinal marijuana

• Like 2

Just finished Prey Mooncrash. God that was insane. Now I'm playing the first Dishonored dlc. Doing a high chaos run on elite then a no kill run on master assassin. It's definitely a test of patience.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Robert said:

Mediation and QiGong have helped a lot along with some medicinal marijuana

I live in a medical state but I would still have to pay for a prescription that my insurance won't cover. It would be nice to get some indica to help me relax but it's not a big deal.

• Like 1

Here's a question: what do you all think about practicing multiple spiritual systems at once?

I'm doing Zazen and yoga every day. I'm not a true Buddhist but I try to apply Zen principles to my life. Several monks have told me that Zen is compatible with any other religion and I've even met a Catholic who practices it. One teacher said you can take the precepts and it doesn't even matter if you're not a Buddhist.

I practice yoga mostly for the health aspects. I can't even to begin to fathom the spiritual concepts of yoga philosophy, nor are there any teachers around here that go into it I'm aware of. But I know that yoga makes me feel good and it has a lot of long term benefits. I would take qigong classes but there are no teachers near me.

I think I want to study Hermetics. In my limited knowledge of it there seem to be similarities to Dao and Zen. (Everything is connected. If you change your mind, you can change yourself and the world.) The first step in Initiation Into Hermetics is the same as zazen as far as I can tell. This is probably oversimplifying it but it feels right.

What do you think? Am I getting ahead of myself? In the past I've gotten really caught up in reading about a lot of different systems, not being able to wrap my head around all of it, and getting burned out. But these three paths appear to be compatible in practice.

*To clarify, mindfulness (Zazen daily and at the local temple and clinical with my therapist and groups) is my main focus, baseline. Yoga classes and basic qigong from books are my mind-body work. Hermetics will be a metaphysical project because I want to see what this magick stuff is all about.

1492558707052.jpg

Edited by moraldilemma
  • Like 1

Glad to have you onboard.  For Hermetics I like Rawn Clark's works.  He's heavily influenced by Franz Bardon and has many free online multi-level courses based on Bardon's work, yet don't require the commitment.  From elemental stacking systems like the Archaeous to chant as canticle like the YHVH system.  His work is at abardoncompanion.com  .  I also like the writings of William Mistelle. 

• Like 2

On 11/12/2018 at 12:12 PM, moraldilemma said:

Here's a question: what do you all think about practicing multiple spiritual systems at once?

I'm doing Zazen and yoga every day. I'm not a true Buddhist but I try to apply Zen principles to my life. Several monks have told me that Zen is compatible with any other religion and I've even met a Catholic who practices it. One teacher said you can take the precepts and it doesn't even matter if you're not a Buddhist.

I practice yoga mostly for the health aspects. I can't even to begin to fathom the spiritual concepts of yoga philosophy, nor are there any teachers around here that go into it I'm aware of. But I know that yoga makes me feel good and it has a lot of long term benefits. I would take qigong classes but there are no teachers near me.

I think I want to study Hermetics. In my limited knowledge of it there seem to be similarities to Dao and Zen. (Everything is connected. If you change your mind, you can change yourself and the world.) The first step in Initiation Into Hermetics is the same as zazen as far as I can tell. This is probably oversimplifying it but it feels right.

What do you think? Am I getting ahead of myself? In the past I've gotten really caught up in reading about a lot of different systems, not being able to wrap my head around all of it, and getting burned out. But these three paths appear to be compatible in practice.

*To clarify, mindfulness (Zazen daily and at the local temple and clinical with my therapist and groups) is my main focus, baseline. Yoga classes and basic qigong from books are my mind-body work. Hermetics will be a metaphysical project because I want to see what this magick stuff is all about.

1492558707052.jpg

I find that deep breathing meditations, Yoga Kriyas and tai chi seems to hit the spot.  So, yes, mixing and matching can be useful. We are after all individuals with individual needs.  Having said that, there should be a foundation laid at the very beginning, to establish discipline, develop certain habits, pick up basic skills and ideas, etc.

• Like 5

On 11/10/2018 at 8:06 PM, moraldilemma said:

Right on. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the help.

"Oh!  Damn!  I forgot to congratulate you on your advancement.  Sounds like you have been doing some serious work at getting yourself on a functional path."  ---- Marblehead

I second that. You are kicking serious ass.  Congratulations, well-deserved.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this