Patrick Brown

Is Liberalism Dead?

So is liberalism dead and if so who killed it? I suspect that unscrupulous politicians hijacked the ideals of liberalism as a kind of Trojan horse to infiltrate government and tinker with the workings of society! So the chaos that many modern countries are going though is the result of greedy individuals with inflated egos building their own little empires under the pretence of liberalism. Of course it's all gone too far and nobody's at the helm and icebergs are ahead! 

Most of us used to like liberalism, some secretly perhaps, but it has gone too far and everybody wants to use it to promote their view as being aloud if not absolutely correct! So a relaxed attitude, which should have served as a voice to many, has become the screams and shouts of those that are insistent that their oppression is caused by an erroneous societal structure and therefore want to pull it down! Of course each disparate group has their own idea as to what should be put in place of the current social structures and of course they're all different. To be honest it's all very childish.     

So how do we get back to a balanced functioning society? I don't have any problem with Trump as all he's doing is trying to regain control and balance America as he, like many, can see what's coming. For people that can't see the unstable nature of many modern countries my words are lost but for those that can we realise that boundaries need to be reset in many, if not all, aspects of government. This won't entail any enslavement of the masses but just a respect for laws which have existed for hundreds of years but have been eroded away by politicians who've had their fingers in too many pies! So it's ironic that Trump isn't a politician yet paradoxically he is a businessman! So whatever people think of Trump he's certainly no liberal and he's definitely not a politician so it'll be interesting to see how it all turns out. It'll be really ironic if a businessman saves America but then again it's what America has always been about i.e. "In God We Trust" the almighty dollar. 

Britain's similar just a slightly different flavour. 

Edited by Patrick Brown
  • Thanks 1

I think it has taken a few turns...

as Larry King said, an ex-CNN host said, "CNN stopped doing news a long time ago, they do Trump"

King criticized CNN for carrying Trump “more than Fox News”

Maybe it is like a snake that slithers to where it can go and find something to eat... 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2018 at 7:43 PM, Marblehead said:

Oh!, it's alive and well.  One day it will take us all down the road to chaos.

Yeah liberalism doesn't exist to lead it's more like a pressure group that brings an awareness of minorities that are genuinely oppressed. The problems started when the left and the right both started taking on-board minority views just to bump the voting in their favour. Labour in the UK has become almost completely liberal and has pretty much screwed itself as the work class have given up on them, excepting the hardcore who are normally not particularly bright or even interested. It was Tony Blair that thought he could be all things to all people and has single handedly destroyed politics in the UK! 

So the UK is like America where the rules need to be reset if normal service is to continue. Unfortunately for us we're more knackered than the States. 

On 10/11/2018 at 10:23 AM, Marblehead said:

Liberalism isn't the problem.  It's the welfare state that is the problem.

Yes and no, as the original idea of the welfare state was to provide a safety net for those in difficult situations and the problems started back in the seventies, here in the UK, when basically the government got too soft. Now it's at the point where anybody from the EU can walk in get a house, modern medical care, money and the sit around doing fock all! Oh sorry they don't all do fock all as some get bored and deal drugs, work illegally or set up[ a brothel. I jest not! Within the last 20 years the UK has become a shit hole. And it's not all to do with immigration although that's a big part of it. It has a lot to do with the liberal softly-softly approach which is now expected!!!   

I'm off to lay down! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patrick Brown said:

I'm off to lay down! 

Yeah, you should lay down after that rant.  Let the blood flow normally again.

• Like 1

It's Brexit, it stressing everybody out here in the UK! Politics is going to be very interesting for many countries over the next two years. Funny as I'm not really into politics but it's impossible to ignore how important some of the decisions are going to be for generations to come. 

• Like 1

Yes, this is a very important period of time for many countries.  Decisions that are being made now and will be made the next couple years are going to dramatically effect most of the people of those countries.

The bad moves by the politicians will take many years to correct.

Too bad we don't have a small island of a couple thousand people we can practice on before making changes that effect hundreds of  millions of people.

• Haha 1