Sign in to follow this  
Luxin

Luxin stripped posts from thread.

I always found Judge not, lest you be judged to be wonderfully Daoist. 

In that the admonition to not be so judging is wise, ie keeping a quiet mind, not weighing everything as good or bad, how much a thing helps, hurts or flatters you, is lightening. 

It is what it is.. let it be.   You don't need high philosophy to tell you to get out of the way of a charging bull, or need to consider it bad or evil, just frickin move.

am i sacred, idk, i was taught sacred is what you make sacred.. thus.. idk.  maybe when i sneeze.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Luxin said:

Christ's admonition,
'Judge not lest ye be judged' (Matthew 7:1)
I paraphrase and articulate as
Judge ye not vengefully lest ye be judged by thine own

Conscience or The Laws of Nature/God first,
and perhaps the laws of men second.

The original could be truthfully worded as
'Judge not vengefully lest thou judge thyself so',
but most people would not understand
what 'judging thyself' means.

I have elaborated upon the asserted original
with the truthful concept that
the Conscience is one's judge,
plus the Laws of God and laws of men.

However, 'Judge not lest ye be judged'
doesn't make perfect sense,
as 'to judge' means to form an opinion,
and the admonition implies that
the questionable judgment must be at least
harsh in thought if not vengeful.

Perhaps something was lost in many translations,
or the church altered the wording.
Anyway, because the wording has
never made sense to me,
and one other thinker noticed this also,
I know the addition of the word "vengefully"
is justified, at least in the mind of a thinker
unconcerned with the church's approval.

Some context might clear up your confusion about what Jesus meant when speaking about judging others. He mentions it agian in the Gospel of Luke in same context that you quoted above.

Matthew 7

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Luke 6

37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

39 And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?

40 The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.

41 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

42 Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.

You will notice that Jesus is urging that we not judge without first taking a long hard look at ourselves. In Matthew 7 Jesus is closing out what is referred to as The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5, 6 &7) to a multitude near the sea of Galilee. It includes The Beatitudes, The Lord's Prayer and spells out characteristics and duties of Christian. Judgement without self-examination falls into those categories, specifically when Christians begin to call out their peers without having "clean hands" themselves.

Luke 6, often called The Sermon on the Plain, takes place after Jesus spent some time praying in the mountains and parallels The Sermon on the Mount, but provides a little more detail about what lead up to it. Jesus and some of His followers had been judged by the Pharisees for eating and performing miracles on the Sabbath. Jesus pointed out that priests eat on the Sabbath, but no one else should and questioned evil being done on the Sabbath and how a good work of healing was not permissible.

The take away from the judge not portions of these teachings for me is to not be a hypocrite because you're not going to like it when it is pointed out that you have the same flaw(s).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2018 at 6:48 PM, Luxin said:

November 8, 2018

[ This piece is only for secular free thinkers. ]

Nature traps those who think that men are not gods.

However, all beings are sacred.
Therefore She provided plenty of "earth"
with which to "bury ourselves".
This is The Law of Justice operating self-service style.

How does nature trap people who don't think they're gods? What do you mean by "only for secular free thinkers"? This isn't making sense to me. Where is this coming from? What is your point?

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 5:48 PM, Luxin said:

Therefore, when others try
to "shovel dirt on our graves",
they are actually
"shoveling dirt on their own graves" unawares.

In the film 'All for Liberty,' Henry Felder describes a scene he witnessed about a native American being 'ritualistcally' buried by his English foes. I do not remember it word for word, yet I remember that he described the English shoving dirt into his mouth, and taunting with a phrase like, "Here is your precious land."

On 11/11/2018 at 3:01 PM, moraldilemma said:

How does nature trap people who don't think they're gods? What do you mean by "only for secular free thinkers"? This isn't making sense to me. Where is this coming from? What is your point?

a thread about men being gods for secular thinkers only .....   :huh:

our inner most Spirits are sacred, and have never been touched by sin, while our minds and humanity have been all over map when it comes to sin or "missing the mark" as our Buddhist brothers and sisters like to minimize per said connotation and or equate sin to...

Edited by 3bob

There's a lot of word salad happening up in this thread. Maybe I'm thinking too logically or something.

1535502209790.png

On 11/11/2018 at 3:01 PM, moraldilemma said:

Judging in my opinion comes with a sentence.  I have reconciled this with the idea that I am indeed meant to evaluate, but not condemn, for if I withhold my assessment, I learn nothing, and can contribute no Wisdom of opinion.  Now, when it comes to administering opinion, I have found that lest someone call for it, to keep it hidden- but not to forget it, for life is learning, and we learn not only from experience, but observation.  I think it is crucial to asses, and to turn that upon ourselves as well, for it is how we learn.  There is much ignorance to be found from all sides- not only from our own "enlightened" point of view, but from the mind of someone we call "ignorant".  I believe that all people are enlightened based upon their own interpretation and experience, though I struggle with the concept that there is higher Truth- for the higher Truth involves what is right, and what is right?  It is based upon a safe and healthy journey for all, working together for all, and happiness for all.  If this be the measure, then yes, we are meant to assess, and to judge- and to condemn.  If not, then truly, judge not lest ye be judged.

Sign in to follow this