Still_Waters

First Post - Introductory Post by Paul (Still_Waters)

This site was highly recommended to me by a newfound spiritual buddy so I decided to check this out. The site indicated that an introductory post is required, and I'm doing that now.

I'm generally a person of few words and few posts but, when inspired, the words flow quite freely and spontaneously. I've practiced meditation for many years. While working in corporate America, I was able to travel to over 45 countries in pursuit of spiritual masters before discovering that the keys to realization are actually "within" and that there was really no need for such extensive travel. Nonetheless, I met and practiced under sages from various traditions with a sincere, questioning "weigh-and-measure" attitude until, eventually, one gets to a point where all traditions point in the same direction. My primary spiritual mentor for over 30 years was a Hindu sage whom I accompanied to the Haridwar Khumba Mela in 1998 and for whom I wrote the introduction to the ashram's meditation book. The Khumba was particularly life-transforming since I met several extraordinary beings there and realized that virtually anything is possible. My focus is on direct experiences and practice as opposed to intellectual theorizing. Having said that, however, I was fortunate to have met and connected with wise ones from many traditions, including but not limited to Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, the Bahai faith, Sufism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Jainism, Native American, Shamanism, and so on. I am looking forward to participating in the forums here as they come highly recommended.

• Like 7

Hello, Still_Waters, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Hi Paul,

Welcome. I look forward to reading your posts. Cheers

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

22 hours ago, Jeff said:

Welcome :) 

Thank you. If you're who I think you are, it's great to see you here again. Even if you're not who I think you are, thanks for the welcome. :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Hi Paul.  Welcome.

Sounds like you may have some nice things to share with us.

My spiritual mentor shared freely, and I too share freely whatever is of interest to others.

By the way, I spent time once at a Taoist monastery in Chengdu, China, and it was an awesome, transforming experience. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Still_Waters said:

My spiritual mentor shared freely, and I too share freely whatever is of interest to others.

By the way, I spent time once at a Taoist monastery in Chengdu, China, and it was an awesome, transforming experience. :)

I'd love to hear more about this!  What were the memorable aspects of your stay? Any fun stories?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

I'd love to hear more about this!  What were the memorable aspects of your stay? Any fun stories?

When I went to the Taoist monastery in Chengdu, there was one particularly memorable aspect of my stay during that day visit. Since I don't speak Chinese, I went with a friend who spoke both Chinese and English. (My stay in Chengdu was brief since it was only a stopping point to and from Lhasa, Tibet.)

When we got to the monastery, we met with some of the monks and I had a lot of questions on Taoism. When the monks couldn't go deep enough, they introduced me to the senior monk. When he experienced some difficulty in addressing my questions, they brought me to the "Master" at the monastery but would not allow my interpreter to accompany me. I was a bit confused by that but they told me that it didn't matter that I couldn't speak Chinese and that the Master didn't speak English. That was perplexing ... initially.

When I emerged from the Master's room, my interpreter questioned me about what happened during the THREE HOURS or so that I had been alone with the Master. All I could say was that all of my questions had been answered .... without words. (This happened again to me years later at the Khumba Mela in Haridwar, India, and similar experiences .... but not as lengthy .... have happened at other times in my life.) Telepathy and silent communication are facts

Edited by Still_Waters
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Still_Waters said:

Telepathy and silent communication are facts

My cat has been trying to tell me this for years!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Seems you’ve visited all over the spiritual world of the East. What place had the most impact on you, if any one stands out? India, Tibet, China ?

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Still_Waters said:

Telepathy and silent communication are facts

10 hours ago, Nintendao said:

My cat has been trying to tell me this for years!

I've had cats for years and currently have three adorable street cats living with me. You may have a point there ! :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

Thanks for sharing. Seems you’ve visited all over the spiritual world of the East. What place had the most impact on you, if any one stands out? India, Tibet, China ?

I've been to almost 50 countries but, spiritually, Tibet and the Khumba Mela (Haridwar, India) had the most impact on me spiritually from a location perspective.

In the Tibet of the 1980s, the spiritual atmosphere in Lhasa was contagious. In the market place, when there were no customers, the vendors were constantly chanting "Om Mane Padme Hum". On the streets, they would walk with their japa beads and chant. Everywhere, there was chanting. It was part of their lifestyle. It was awesome.

At the Haridwar Kumba Mela in 1998, the impact was similar. From sunrise to sunset and even at other times, all one could hear in the city was various chants emanating from the ashrams there as well as from the tents on the Ganges. Storefronts had only spiritual pictures in their windows (other than their products obviously). Everything that one saw or heard related to the spiritual. After being immersed in that for the three weeks I was there, it was virtually impossible to have a non-spiritual thought in one's mind. Since I accompanied one of the sages of India to the event, I was able to participate in the Great Procession to the Ganges. Our order was the largest of the orders of Shankaracharya so we led the procession. Inside the acharya's palace, the chariots moved into formation. The banners were unfurled. The elephants were ready to move forth. At the sound of the conch, the gates of the palace opened and the procession moved forth as millions lined the procession route. (I was wearing orange and walked beside my teacher's chariot.) The event was unforgettable. In addition, since sages come out of their caves in the Himalayas for the event, I met many remarkable beings who outwardly appear very ordinary but are quite extraordinary if one recognizes them and establishes contact.

In Amman, Jordan, a moderate Islamic country, I was impressed by the modest apparel of the inhabitants. However, what impressed me most was the calls to prayer five times a day. Since it is a Muslim city, one awakens in the morning to the stereo-type calls to prayer echoing through all the mosques in the city. In the evening, one goes to sleep hearing the same echoes of prayers throughout the city. During the day, when it is time for the call to prayer, everything literally stops as people go to the mosques to pray or take out their prayer mats and pray where they are at that time. It's an incredible experience.

I could go on and on and on but those are the three incidents that come to mind first. There are obviously others. However, one of my most life-transforming longer-term connections that I will never forget was a remarkable nine-year spiritual journey with a "homeless" black man right here in New York City. He would mysteriously appear and vanish throughout those years and was one of the most spiritually advanced beings  I've ever met. On our last day together, when he announced that I would not longer be seeing him since his work with me was done and another master would take his place, I followed closely behind him to the street corner as he left me and I could not bear to let go.  I was only a couple of steps behind him when I turned the corner after him .... and no one was there. As he had indicated, I never saw him again but I have never forgotten him.

Edited by Still_Waters
  • Like 6