Sign in to follow this  
sustainablefarm86

Deep meditation

I don't know.  For me in deeper states my breathing gets very slow, maybe 40 to 50 second breath cycles.  Similarly deep equals not visualizing or thinking anything, not seeing.  I've forgotten about my breath, but if I focus its long, slow and deep.  Before I 'let go' there are some visualizations and techniques I go through, but after that.. I just let it be. 

Not sure I'm a role mode.  As far as brain damage I do long breath holds, ala Wim Hof method.  Past a minute and a half my oxygen (& pulse) level drop a percentage every second or two, from 99 to 60's.  Hasn't given me brain damage yet, as far as I can tell, though maybe I couldn't.

*techniques- I bob when I meditate, little natural back and forth motion. keep my hands together and pressed against dan tien area.  a little vispassana pre-amble often before I start..

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2018-11-06 at 5:26 PM, thelerner said:

Not sure I'm a role mode.  As far as brain damage I do long breath holds, ala Wim Hof method.  Past a minute and a half my oxygen (& pulse) level drop a percentage every second or two, from 99 to 60's.  Hasn't given me brain damage yet, as far as I can tell, though maybe I couldn't.

*techniques

This works with the diving reflex, and activates autonomic reactions that are good for the brain and cardioprotective. 

It is thoracic breathing with too much ventilation that is bad for the brain. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 11:26 AM, thelerner said:

I don't know.  For me in deeper states my breathing gets very slow, maybe 40 to 50 second breath cycles.  Similarly deep equals not visualizing or thinking anything, not seeing.  I've forgotten about my breath, but if I focus its long, slow and deep.  Before I 'let go' there are some visualizations and techniques I go through, but after that.. I just let it be. 

*techniques- I bob when I meditate, little natural back and forth motion. keep my hands together and pressed against dan tien area.  a little vispassana pre-amble often before I start..

As one stills the mind, one's breath slows down quite naturally and effortlessly. I no longer practice breath control but have shifted attention to observing the mind. Mindfulness of the breath, however, is a "natural sedative" which relaxes beginners and makes them more conducive to meditation. Mindfulness of breath therefore does have obvious value.

Let me share a story with you regarding the breath. Many years ago, I was in the steam room at the gym wearing only my bathing suit. When the steam became extremely hot and everyone left the room, I decided for some reason to meditate on the heat and went into meditation. I cannot say how long this lasted but I can say that I was completely oblivious to the intense heat.

When I came out of it, the heat had subsided and there was a large number of people surrounding me, including my friend Chip. He said that, when they re-entered the steam room and saw me, I was sitting motionless like a statue. They could feel no breath coming out of my nostrils. My stomach was not showing any signs of expansion and contraction normally associated with breathing. Chip mentioned that he waved his hand in front of my face but there was absolutely no reaction whatsoever. He indicated that people were afraid to touch me for fear that I might go into shock since my state was completely alien to anything they had seen before. Just when they decided to contact the front desk to determine how to proceed and to assess whether medical attention was needed, I came completely out of it totally normal and refreshed.

It is said that, by watching the breath, it slows down and the mind slows down with it. However, Ramana Maharshi once said that pranayama exercises merely "torture the nose". I've noticed that if one focuses on the mind and the mind alone, the breath patterns reflect the activity of the mind and "stop" (at least to outward appearances) quite naturally.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2018 at 2:49 PM, King Jade said:

let go of breathing

From where does this technique come and how is it done ?
Normally a person is not aware of breathing, so do you become aware and then unaware yourself ?

On 11/6/2018 at 7:49 AM, King Jade said:

During this I can't visualize anything

what are you "trying" to visualize?  for me, watching breath, is just that, just watching,  I watch it come and go, and very important in my meditation, is to also watch it when it is changing from in/out, to out/in, that moment of change.  what moves, moves,  If i try to make it move, it doesn't move.

As far as being able to "not breath",  I have also done this,  where i can just kind of open my lungs, not taking air in, not letting it out, and it seems to get stable.  don't do it any more, as at this point it does not matter to me.  but maybe others get something from this.  don't know.

4 hours ago, rideforever said:

From where does this technique come and how is it done ?
Normally a person is not aware of breathing, so do you become aware and then unaware yourself ?

I think it's just watching the breath? Abdominal breathing until it is well ingrained and then happens by itself without input

Edited by King Jade

13 minutes ago, King Jade said:

I think it's just watching the breath? Abdominal breathing until it is well ingrained and then happens by itself without input

From whom did you learn ?

Sign in to follow this