Sign in to follow this  
sunshine

Practice & Alcohol

You girls and guys give me your view on energy practice & drinking alcohol

In Falun Gong alcohol is disadvised as little energy beings are meant to be born with practice that are driven away by the smell of alcohol.

In other traditions it is just said that it interferes with ones energy.

What do you think?

Harry

[in Falun Gong alcohol is disadvised as little energy beings are meant to be born with practice that are driven away by the smell of alcohol.

What do you think?

I like beer. Alot of my friends drink hard stuff and mized drinks but I prefer a pint of Guiness over Vodka any day.

I'll have a few beers at a bar or get a 6 pack like once a week though..it's not a daily indulgence.

Hi. My name is Sean. And I have an alcohol problem. :wacko:

Seriously though, alcohol messes up my practice big time. Mainly because I find it nearly physically impossible to just drink one or two beers. I have to push everything to the extreme, so I frequently go weeks without drinking at all but then suddenly lose a whole weekend partying it up. Which is Jing loss on a massive scale, because I believe Jing is not just lost through sperm and blood, but also through excess drinking, drug abuse, poor nutrition/sleep, and extremes of emotion.

I drink occasionally. Actually haven't had a drink in quite a long time (couple of months maybe), so maybe it's time, soon. I like making my own medicinal wines and beers... And mulled wine in the winter is to die for. I know that drinking in small amounts is stimulating to your circulation and appetite. I do try to keep it to one or two glasses of wine a week, and don't really feel it if I'm eating enough, etc.

When I go for the hard liquor, then i can feel it for sure. But I'm not sure it's any worse than all the other things I do when I'm self-destructive.

Also I use tinctures which of course have alcohol, but I think this is healthier than the triglycerites in glycerin-based tinctures...

I'll have a glass of wine or a beer most days for dinner. I tend to think 1 is healthy, 3 becomes a bit drug like where I get a mild euphoric buzz and lessening of thoughts. At that level there may be a level bodily abuse, toward liver and mind so I don't do that more then 1 or twice a month. I'll get pretty loaded once or twice a year and somewhat revel in the numb peace and altered state it provides.

I offered Michael Winn some wine at campfire at Tao Mountain. He declined saying he didn't like what it did for his Chi.

One drink doesn't seem to interfere w/ my meditational abilities. But everyone is different. And when you're dealing w/ mind altering drugs it is easy to fool yourself.

Peace

Michael

[in Falun Gong alcohol is disadvised as little energy beings are meant to be born with practice that are driven away by the smell of alcohol.

What do you think?

I like beer. Alot of my friends drink hard stuff and mized drinks but I prefer a pint of Guiness over Vodka any day.

I'll have a few beers at a bar or get a 6 pack like once a week though..it's not a daily indulgence.

3256[/snapback]

SHIEKKY WTF!!! WHEN DID YA GROW A BEARD???

I DRINK PILSNER BEER, SANGIOVESI WINE, N REMY MARTIN COGNAC.

I ALSO SMOKE GRAS.

BYE NOW

i think you can transform anything that comes into your body with enough cultivation. whatever you do, enjoy it. if you're supposed to stop doing it, that will come naturally with the work.

i had this discussion with micahael winn one time about smoking. i told him with all the qigong i do it wouldnt harm me. even my acupuncturist who cures cancer and other diseases modern medicine has trouble with, said he's observed no ill-effects from it, and that it indeed does not cause cancer. the causes are other elements.

now, michael did also say "but why work against yourself?" and that point is well taken. since dao is the effortless way, i let things work themselves out. i smoke hash a cupla times a year. i drink alcohol a cupla times amonth. i eat shit a few times a week. but i have noticed significant changes in al these habits since i took up "the way." i used to smoke everyday. i used to drink alot several times a week. i ued to eat way mnore shit thatn i do now.

so be comfortable and accept yourself as you are. the development proceedes from there. the minute you start trying to change a habit, something inside of you will resist it and make it difficult. let shen guide you.

haha... well *I* prefer hard liqour... i.e. whiskey.. becuase drinking beer makes it so I have to piss all the time.

....but anyways, about the question... ;) I remember a poem by ... what, the seven sages of the bamboo grove... (I think thats it...) one of whom was an alcholic, (or so he gave that impression).... he wrote about drinking wine all day, about drinking, ... and about how great wine was....

well, anyways... they called him a sage... maybe he was just a poet... but... this is what I thought of when I read your post... may it have no alchemical significance... :lol:

Dark beer, red wine, and cognac are my favorites. Every once in a while I have whisky or tequila. I mostly drink on weekends and during business dinners. I have about a cigar a week. I practice after drinking and have felt no ill effects.

i think you can transform anything that comes into your body with enough cultivation.  whatever you do, enjoy it.  if you're supposed to stop doing it, that will come naturally with the work.

i had this discussion with micahael winn one time about smoking.  i told him with all the qigong i do it wouldnt harm me.  even my acupuncturist who cures cancer and other diseases modern medicine has trouble with, said he's observed no ill-effects from it, and that it indeed does not cause cancer.  the causes are other elements.

now, michael did also say "but why work against yourself?"  and that point is well taken.  since dao is the effortless way, i let things work themselves out.  i smoke hash a cupla times a year.  i drink alcohol a cupla times amonth.  i eat shit a few times a week.  but i have noticed significant changes in al these habits since i took up "the way."  i used to smoke everyday.  i used to drink alot several times a week.  i ued to eat way mnore shit thatn i do now. 

so be comfortable and accept yourself as you are.  the development proceedes from there.  the minute you start trying to change a habit, something inside of you will resist it and make it difficult.  let shen guide you.

3274[/snapback]

I'm finding something similar emerging in my practice as well. I've always failed when it came to using willpower to stop my self-destructive habits. Something that stuck in my head that Dan Millman wrote in a book once, "Don't try to manage the addiction, clear the obstruction." For years and years, this quote never made any sense to me.

Once I got to a place where I could do emotional work practices which I avoided like the plague for years, like healing sounds, and eventually, fusion one, I found myself in a rather strange place. Instead of doing everything I could to resist inhaling my junk food and getting all bent about it later, I found myself desiring to eat less, and a desire to eat slower, and a desire to wait until I was hungry.

When I feel the desire to eat ravenously or have a drink, I actually feel okay to do it with gusto, and without guilt, and in a way, celebrate the desire. If I do that, the next few meals are easy to take lightly or flat out skip, until the belly asks for something else. If I catch myself doing it unconsciously, that's something to work on in fusion practice.

Gets me pondering the idea that maybe what we call 'bad habits' might not be bad at all. They may be one way our shen communicate with us. To bring deep issues up to the surface, to act out so they can be brought to completion in the physical world. If we can do it energetically without acting out and possibly damaging the body in the process (or not, if the acupuncturist is right), so much the better, but if not, the habit can still serve to draw our attention to it and drive us to make changes without our being totally conscious of the process.

Sign in to follow this