wandelaar

Taoist psychotherapy?

Did some more searching on the internet, but can't find anything more about the books or the author. No reviews or comments, and no previews.

The books could be interesting, but without more information it's hard to tell...

Taoism is the supreme ultimate psychology as Cary Jung discovered and he applied this to his own practice. True psychotherapy is the act of practicing every day with no ambition to attain anything or reward.

It just happens that mentally we become very clear and physically we become very strong without even trying. Not good for professional psychologist, puts them out of business.

15 minutes ago, freeform said:

Why are you interested in this?

I am looking for ways to apply Taoism in daily life and to understand why and how it works.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Taoism is the supreme ultimate psychology as Cary Jung discovered and he applied this to his own practice. True psychotherapy is the act of practicing every day with no ambition to attain anything or reward.

It just happens that mentally we become very clear and physically we become very strong without even trying. Not good for professional psychologist, puts them out of business.

About the author:

Ray Vespe received his B.A. Psychology degree from Cornell University (1958), M.S. Clinical Psychology degree from Case Western Reserve University (1959) and Ph.D. Counseling Psychology degree from the California Institute of Integral Studies (1986). He has educated, trained, supervised, counseled and mentored graduate students in the Integral Counseling Psychology program at CIIS (1972-1990), the Transpersonal Psychology program at the California Institute of Transpersonal Psychology (1977¿1979) and the Transpersonal Counseling Psychology program at John F. Kennedy University (1978-1990). Ray has worked in a wide variety of inpatient, outpatient, agency and group treatment settings and was Clinical Director of the Integral Counseling Center (1975-1978/1982-1990), San Leandro Community Counseling (1990-1992) and Marin Treatment Center (1992-2004). He has been a student and practitioner of Tao and numerous Spiritual traditions and disciplines for sixty-three years, has engaged in psychotherapy work for fifty-eight years and has maintained a licensed private counseling practice for forty-five of those years. Ray is currently retired and living in Sonoma County, California.

1 hour ago, wandelaar said:

I am looking for ways to apply Taoism in daily life and to understand why and how it works.

I see. Do you feel that seeing it from a psychotherapist’s point of view, you’d get a more familiar perspective?

4 minutes ago, freeform said:

I see. Do you feel that seeing it from a psychotherapist’s point of view, you’d get a more familiar perspective?

I hope so. ;)

Do you happen to read German?

There was a wonderful book on the Daoist approach to psychotherapy published in that language some 30 years ago. I can't remember its title right now, but I may be able to find out, if you (or somebody else reading this) really wants to know.

4 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

I can read German only with great difficulty. Maybe there is a summery, review or article about that book in English?

I'm not sure, but I will see what I can do... :mellow:

• Thanks 1

I was able to retrieve the book. Lo and behold, it was written in English originally! :D

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/Grace-Unfolding-Psychotherapy-Spirit-Tao-te/dp/0517881306/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541280934&sr=8-1&keywords=grace+unfolding+psychotherapy+in+the+spirit+of+tao-te+ching&dpID=41i3BoL4fWL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Highly recommended. If you decide to read it, would you mind giving me some feedback on how you like it?

Thank you! I have looked at the previews on Amazon and Google, but I read nothing surprising. I don't know what to think about it.

I have to be very selective on buying new books as I am running out of space in my apartment as well as in my own head. So I have to think about whether I will buy it...

This very weird video refers to a book by Ray Vespe (see the accompanying text on YouTube):

I couldn't make head or tail of it, and so I watched only the beginning. Don't know what to think about that...

Edited by wandelaar