Nungali

Throwing stick

Its probably one of our earliest weapons ;

deserthardwoodseries2.jpg

Then they discovered if its weighted on one end, that can be an advantage

anro-001910-wa201403A44-1920x1080_web-cr

The there was the innovation of making it so it comes back to you ;

290px-Boomerang.jpg

The 'Indian boomerang' , the valari started to develop a blade shape on the end ;

1b4197e4b1ee9236357c7725184d603b.jpg

MP+Valari.png

Until, eventually ;

Yikes ! 

• Like 2

Indeed !  Note how he catches it AFTER it passes him .     Tricky ! 

You certainly would not want to catch it like a football .  

• Like 1

I dont see what is so deadly about these. It looks ridiculous like warning someone with a coat hanger. Maybe it can injure a small bird. 

Mate has a huge scar across his knee ;  one took his kneecap half off, he spent a bit of time in hospital  and learning to walk again.

He stood up, as a youth, when a visiting elder was having a sit down talk with the men.  He got bored and got up to leave ; the guy casually leant over, grabbed his throwing stick and from a sitting position hurled it just above the grass.  Just before him, its path curved upward and hit him under the kneecap , instantly collapsing him back into a sitting position .

A few old skeleton finds have been made with huge 'war boomerang' holes and creases in the skull .

Your comments are fine,  for here  ... but  ... ummmmmm  .... if you come over here and say that to the wrong person  ........ 

Injury04.jpg

A "pay back" boomerang injury.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Mate has a huge scar across his knee ;  one took his kneecap half off, he spent a bit of time in hospital  and learning to walk again.

He stood up, as a youth, when a visiting elder was having a sit down talk with the men.  He got bored and got up to leave ; the guy casually leant over, grabbed his throwing stick and from a sitting position hurled it just above the grass.  Just before him, its path curved upward and hit him under the kneecap , instantly collapsing him back into a sitting position .

A few old skeleton finds have been made with huge 'war boomerang' holes and creases in the skull .

Your comments are fine,  for here  ... but  ... ummmmmm  .... if you come over here and say that to the wrong person  ........ 

Injury04.jpg

A "pay back" boomerang injury.

I dont buy it as a functional weapon. A geisha fan is more potentially effective. A curved trajectory makes for an entertaining toy, but these sticks with no extended reach  edge or weight look silly and youd be better off with a pointed stick That you dont throw away.

Weapons arent maximized if they threaten the user as much as the target or if they offer no advantage vs a random obkect like a cooking pot or a number two pencil.M

I could smack someone with a beer bottle , but its still not a real weapon despite the hyperbole.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

I had a few boomerangs as a child, some were quite heavy! I would imagine it would make a great bird hunting weapon. The bent angle and the rotation are a deadly combination.

Edited by Lost in Translation
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Nungali said:

' threaten the user ' ?   :huh:

Are you sure you know what you are talking about  ? 

Yes, you showed us a variety of coat hangers.

While they arent really weapons, thrown in ones face , they can poke an eye.. and these sticks are supposed to come back at the thrower. So if they were really all that dangerous , the thrower would be aiming at himself with the deadly weapon. 

For the thing to be used as it was designed, the warrior has to miss, then stand where he is waiting for his weapon to come back. Meanwhile , his enemy runs over and clobbers him with a properly designed club , which indexes in hand, offers mechanical advantage , or has a real point on it.

17 hours ago, Stosh said:

While they arent really weapons, thrown in ones face , they can poke an eye.. and these sticks are supposed to come back at the thrower. So if they were really all that dangerous , the thrower would be aiming at himself with the deadly weapon. 

For the thing to be used as it was designed, the warrior has to miss, then stand where he is waiting for his weapon to come back.

Just as I thought!    You dont know what you are talking about . I suggest you learn  about boomerangs from OTHER then roadrunner and coyote cartoons   :)  

The 'sticks that are supposed to come back to the thrower' are just one type and are used for a particular purpose.   The thrower does not 'aim at himself'  .    Nor does he 'have to miss'  nor 'stand there waiting' .  You have made assumptions about what is going on without understanding ... aside from pop representations .   'War ' or 'fighting boomerangs' are not for throwing or are  'coming back'.

How do you think the guy got the back of his head split open in the pic above ? Did you think he threw a boomerang and it came back and hit the thrower ?  

I see you have no idea how the weapon is used in a fight or war  , it is very effective when used properly ;

17 hours ago, Stosh said:

Meanwhile , his enemy runs over and clobbers him with a properly designed club , which indexes in hand, offers mechanical advantage , or has a real point on it.

Meanwhile , his enemy runs over and clobbers him with a properly designed  club  boomerang , which indexes in hand, offers mechanical advantage , or has a real point on it.

It can be used like a club that breaks bones or skull, it has an edge that can do things like in the above picture, and its bent angle can be used like a hook,  to capture, lever and manipulate the limbs, ina tussle  .... like the 'kama' .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moraldilemma said:

Your sensei is so dumb he sits on the TV and watches the couch.

Thats only because he appreciates quality programming. 

7 hours ago, Stosh said:

I gotta see this, or its like threatening me with a chocolate chip cookie.

chocolate-chunk-cookies_0.jpg?itok=WZBWV

Take that !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSG9DUYwG_IHA_yOM8AXp

and that  !

....   and     THIS   ;

landscape-1520627984-delish-giant-slow-c

4 hours ago, Stosh said:

Thats only because he appreciates quality programming. 

Oh I forgot to show the proof  .....   your   " appreciates quality programming"  reminded me ;

... what was that I was saying before about  'politically incorrect '     :D 

• Like 1

Indeed !  receently I went to see someone that moved to new place , neighbours large and suspicious of me dog approached, started to growl   ... me :  'What's up with you ? Did you loose your ball ? "   ... nothing ...  "or was it a STICK !  Where is your stick ? "    wag wag .... runs off and gets one ... playing stick a moment later .

Ahhhh ..... if only 'world leaders'    where like dogs !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nungali said:

Ahhhh ..... if only 'world leaders'    where like dogs !

I hope you don't expect me to respond to that.

Sign in to follow this