Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

Not Mistranslating the Bible

http://aramaicnt.org/articles/problems-with-peshitta-primacy/

I stumbled upon this Aramaic scholar's blog, and he does a great analysis of why the original New Testament wasn't the Peshitta (Aramaic) version as many claim. Even the comments section beneath the article has some interesting tidbits.

This thread can be for the overarching purpose of understanding the Bible in its proper context.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2018 at 12:35 PM, Aetherous said:

http://aramaicnt.org/articles/problems-with-peshitta-primacy/

I stumbled upon this Aramaic scholar's blog, and he does a great analysis of why the original New Testament wasn't the Peshitta (Aramaic) version as many claim. Even the comments section beneath the article has some interesting tidbits.

This thread can be for the overarching purpose of understanding the Bible in its proper context.

Many original references to “hell” were actually references to a city dump outside of Jerusalem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spotless said:

Many original references to “hell” were actually references to a city dump outside of Jerusalem.

It was the Jeenna where they use tu burn trash... and it was also a place useful for getting rid of corpses in the mafia style. 

Jesus message was " if you don't practice metanoia (changing your mentality and join us), you'll end up in Geenna" 

• Like 2

Interesting. I found this decent article about that, but agree with one thing that the author said toward the end, that gehenna was used as a metaphor for what I'd call an "undesirable afterlife". Here are two sections I quickly found which reveal that: Matthew 10:28, and Luke 16:19–31. I also think that perhaps sometimes "gehenna" was used, but other times another term was used for this "undesirable place after life"...I don't have a good Greek interlinear Bible just yet to see.

23 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

undesirable place after life".

Don't think it implies an after life as in the concept of reincarnation. Consider that the Bible speaks of several deaths and several births in one lifetime.

Edited by oak
spelling
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, oak said:

Don't think it implies an after life as in the concept of reincarnation. Consider that the Bible speaks of several deaths and several births in one lifetime.

See the verses above.

Where is the several deaths and births in one lifetime talked about?

18 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

See the verses above.

Where is the several deaths and births in one lifetime talked about?

The Bible as to be read as a whole, that is if you want to understand the message in the gospels in depth.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this