Sign in to follow this  
wenwu

Pain

The first minute of this

Hiw do you deal with pain in your life?

Does living in the moment help?

Through my Martial studies both external and internal i always felt pain physical mental and spirtual.

In some ways it was the pain that kept and keeps me going.

3 hours ago, wenwu said:

How do you deal with pain in your life?

Depend on my activities for the day.  If I am going to be working outside I will take pain pills so I'm not discouraged from working because of the pain.

If nothing really physical is planned I just grin and bear it.

• Like 1

Make it my friend like dancelord said, it was a really good minute there!

Pain is relevant information and i try to listen close, its a peculiar language full of nuance. LOTS of small talk, whining and status reports. Its importante to breathe deep and let it speak its piece imo.

Sometimes theres a new word which makes me very attentive, sometimes its some form of discomforted hypothesizing, other times its a very exact description of a certain movement gon wrong or specific damage that is delivered at incredibly high speed. I’ve come to notice my threshold is higher than most people i know, but thats pretty subjective i think.

A few times i’ve felt sustained amounts of screaming pain, the kind that makes me wanna quit being conscious, like when i broke my foot. But getting tattoed all day long was exhausting and stinging but not so much ”OW OW” as i thought it would be.

Emotional pain is the most stubborn kind, but in the end its really easy to deal with it one a direct level: come apart and cry my eyes out until i’m ready to get back to business. Sure, some stuff comes back and haunts and makes seven kinds of fuss to be heard but a good old crying marathon is the best medicine.

Living in the moment can help and it can sabotage when it comes to pain imo. If you live in the moment with accumulated knowledge of your body and understand the information pain delivers then dealing with it is easy as pie, even when you’re caught unawares.

But if pain surprises AND scares you instead of delivering the info properly it’ll easily become something demoralizing or interrupting, a proper demon even.

The one thing that keeps bugging me is compression pain, like you get your finger caught in a drawer or something, that can go on throbbing in a dull way for days, hate that.

I even like a little pain depending on the kind, i dont mind a little rough handling without malice or truly cruel intentions, that doesnt hurt as much as gets me excited... aherm. But when someone inflicts pain through injury its a fully different story, i seem to register the intent with it, dont know if anybody else does.

If someone bites or pinches me in an intimate situation or say a punch lands particularly bad during practice or somebody inadvertently inflicts pain i can let it go very quickly. But the few times i’ve been hit by unfriendly people it felt a lot different even if it didnt hurt at all, idk if that makes sense to anyone else but thats what it feels like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is ‘process pain’ (the pain of change) and there is ‘damage pain’ (pain that is signalling damage being done).

Treat ‘process pain’ as irrelevant. It’s just one sensation of many. It’s part and parcel of any process of change.

Treat ‘damage pain’ with attention and avoid it.

Now gaining discernment between the two can be hard. The mind is a tricky little bugger. :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this