wenwu

How can i change the world, if i can't even change myself

The title of this is something I have lived by for years

However

Should we try to affect the world or just concentrate on "bettering" ourselves. Through making our vibrarionn higher do we affect others or do we have to/ should we try to help those around us directly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Few answers can match the eloquence of Kar3n's picture.   For me, work on myself, slowly, with patience.  Little steps.  For the world, similarly, do little acts of kindnesses where there's opportunity.   Perhaps pick one or two charities and be lifelong supporter. 

We can't change the world, its too big, we're too small but good acts spread, bring a little light. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think aphorisms are sometimes given for specific people in their unique situations, and shouldn't always be applied to everyone. "Change yourself first" would be something taught to someone who is too focused on others' issues, and is trying to change the world too much while ignoring their own inner issues almost entirely. They need that advice, so that they won't cause problems in the world, and would benefit themselves.

Someone else, with a duty and destiny to affect the greater world, shouldn't be hearing it. It would stifle them, and wouldn't benefit anyone else.

Lots of people change the world without having become perfect internally first...so it is possible to do. I think it takes being in the right place at the right time...and I think it's true that it takes a lot of work to make any sort of dent in history.

Is it good to change the external world? It depends on the change taking place.

Some have good intentions, and good change takes place. We should aim for this.
Some have good intentions, and bad change takes place. Regrettably, this happens sometimes...due to our lack of wisdom.
Some have bad intentions, and good change takes place. We'd be lucky to achieve this.
Some have bad intentions, and bad change takes place. We should avoid this.

Perhaps there comes a time when someone has done so much internal work, and they radiate so much benefit, yet the external world is hurting so bad, that it becomes necessary to put more weight on the side of changing the world. They've gone too far with this aphorism, and need to attend to reality. With their beneficial energies, they're able to be more effective in their efforts at changing things.

For the relatively balanced person, it's their duty to do both at once. To better themselves, and to better everyone and everything else. Religious teachings don't neglect good deeds in favor of spiritual attainment...they teach to help others around us in real ways. It wouldn't be correct to see something wrong taking place, and ignore it just because you're focused on fixing yourself. Do both at once, if you're able to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wenwu said:

However

Yeah, I know.  The harder I try to change the world the more screwed up it becomes.  Lao Tzu told me that would happen.  I didn't believe him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, wenwu said:

The title of this is something I have lived by for years

However

Should we try to affect the world or just concentrate on "bettering" ourselves. Through making our vibrarionn higher do we affect others or do we have to/ should we try to help those around us directly?

When you change yourself, you do change the world.

And while there are certainly gracious acts to done, the world doesn’t need you to change it. 

So, unconscious action is perpetuation.

True resolve arises in essence.

Resolved essence allows for harmony, creates Unity, and is peace.

When you change yourself, you change Existence.

When you resolve yourself, you return to the Tao.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Often our actions in attempting to help others are compromised by our own pain, projection, and ignorance.

One of the most valuable things we can offer others is simply our presence and space for them to live their lives.

If we are open enough to listen and hear what others need without our own confusion getting in the way, then we are able to truly help.

More often we offer (or impose on them) what we think they need and it may be misguided and counterproductive.

Even if it seems obvious to us that we are "doing good" it is easy to be mistaken.

In the long run, I think we can do far more good for others, and the world, if we clear our own confusion first and cultivate the ability to listen and hear others without our personal bias and ignorance getting in the way.

• Like 3

The world changes all the time and so do we, imho.

Add a little here, temper a little there, detract a little over yonder and soften almost everything. Change is permanent, i think it follows that nothing is permanent. Softening gives you the chance to follow with less friction, giving you far better openings for percieving and using serendipitous circumstances to allow things to keep moving without affecting their nature and energy too much.

So, how can you not change yourself? Is it perhaps that you see yourself as having certain characteristics and wish to have other, maybe ”better” ones instead? That could be seen as going from one percieved solid state to another, neither of which are necessarily honest or forgiving to who you really are. Idk if this is helpful though.

I recommend reading up on Al Khidr, especially the tale of when Moses tried to be his disciple and failed miserably. Moses wanted to be a better servant of Allah, understand his wish and creation better. Al Khidr was at his idealized level but it turned out Moses had it all backwards, he was too focused on what his senses cluld percieve as correct and reasonable based on what he knew to be correct and reasonable in the eyes of God. His ability to change the world and better himself was limited by his self-imposed narrow scope of vision.

TLDR: domt worry so much and go easy on yourself. Google Al Khidr, the moral of the story is along the lines of what Aetherous was mentioning, worth a read.

• Like 2

I don't know the answer,  my words are Aetherous'.

Here's a far out idea: Do you want to try to help people? create a fake enlightened guru twitter, facebook, become a coach, write books, even if you didn't learn anything, lie your teeth off to inspire other people. Just never charge anything because that's going over the line, don't put anything that might create danger 

Is it ethical, you decide ^_^ but it might help a good number of people and even change the world if the character gets big enough

- Enlightened Master King Jade,  holder of the WuXing, WuDang  and WuJi lineages  

Edit: perhaps that's one answer, become a writer, people don't care about a writer's personal life

Edited by King Jade
  • Like 3

Our mind has a way of twisting ‘good deeds’ into self-creation. As in creating more layers of ‘self’ - the acquired mind.

if you want to do good deeds while cultivating spiritually, you need to tread carefully. It’s a strange thing - but ‘bad deeds’ without attachment cause less harm than good deeds with attachment.

so do good things anonymously - in a way that doesn’t generate gratitude from others. Be anonymous and accept nothing in return. No thanks, no money, no attention. 

oh and some common sense - as in if you see an elderly man struggling with his shopping help him out - whether you get gratitude or not. Just coz. Don’t tell others about it afterwards though ^_^

• Like 1