AugustGreig

What is Mantak Chia?

So, like 54 days or so into my 100 days of twice daily, at least 20 minute meditation sessions, I can across a teaching of mantak chia's one night before bed, and the next day I tried it, believing it to be nei Dan. But half way through I stopped because it felt... Wrong somehow, maybe unearned? Just off....Anyway, in my best estimate, it was Kundalini I was doing under a different name, and I felt deceived in a way.

So who is he? I was looking up six healing sounds to actually hear them, not just read them in a book, an the majority and most comprehensive videos are his. Is he just like every other human, and I should use anything useful from him an leave the rest, or is he a charlatan to be avoided? Thank you.

• Like 1

This topic has been discussed here many, many times before. There is a search engine towards the upper right side of the home page where you can search for his name and read these discussions.

• Like 2

In my oppinion, Mantak Chia really understand what he's saying, and i too for the first 3 months is using his references (books) for cultivating. His books is good if you already have understanding about the topic (kinda like school textbook, which contains info, but you will still need teacher to point out the details, in fact its what is missing from his books: details), its just too fast to learn by myself (from my experience as well, i experienced qi deviation a while ago,  which i managed to get rid of with help from seniors here). For now, i find that Damo Mitchell's book: Daoist Nei Gong: The Philosophical Art of Change provide in depth teaching, with basics (background story), steps, what to expect, and so on (more noob friendly if i may say so).

To make myself more clear: its hard to read Mantak Chia's book and expect to learn from the book alone, you will need guidance from either him, or his certified teachers. Also he made way too many books, which makes things more complicated as in where to start. Again, this is my oppinion, being a newbie reading master Chia's book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I respect Chia for being among the very first to bring serious neidan materials onto the public internet back in the nineties.

There's a decent translation of the NeiJing Tu's accompanying text still up at https://www.universal-tao.com/tao/inner_alchemy.html 

The image links to the painting don't work anymore but there are lots of copies floating around today e.g. https://www.thedaobums.com/uploads/post-41-1163359964.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2018 at 5:55 AM, AugustGreig said:

So, like 54 days or so into my 100 days of twice daily, at least 20 minute meditation sessions, I can across a teaching of mantak chia's one night before bed, and the next day I tried it, believing it to be nei Dan. But half way through I stopped because it felt... Wrong somehow, maybe unearned? Just off....Anyway, in my best estimate, it was Kundalini I was doing under a different name, and I felt deceived in a way.

So who is he? I was looking up six healing sounds to actually hear them, not just read them in a book, an the majority and most comprehensive videos are his. Is he just like every other human, and I should use anything useful from him an leave the rest, or is he a charlatan to be avoided? Thank you.

I'm generally in the 'you should learn anything useful from him, leave the rest.  Except, if you get a bad feeling, from his work, then I'd say find another system.   I started with the Healing Tao, took a beginners weekend w/ Master Chia.  In my opinion he knows his stuff yet its material that's meant for live training.  Learning through a book is learning partially blind folded because mistakes creep in. 

Too much or too little training, wrong postures and focus..  things a live teacher would immediately see, but book learning leaves ignorant. 

That's what I got, and the usual advice of if things get too hot or strange- slow down, regain grounding, maybe take a break or find a respected live teacher. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, dawei said:

If you are into the Qigong level, this is the only thing I recommend from Chia, it is great stuff:

http://www.albanyqigong.com/images/Inner Smile and Six Healing Sounds Practice.pdf

The semen retention should be avoided like the plague as you nee a teach on call at all times.... and there is no need to retain anyways.

That pdf are 12 pages of good stuff well presented.  I'm in mild agreement with you on semen retention, thinking that at low and medium levels an intelligent discipline is good.  At higher levels if your system has transformation of jing to chi then retain.  Many chi gong have 100 day gong systems that ask for celibacy.. otherwise, a little discipline in the area, find balance for yourself.

• Like 1