Sign in to follow this  
Everything

Desire vs Yearning

Took this translation from https://ctext.org/dao-de-jing

The Dao that can be trodden is not the enduring and unchanging Dao. The name that can be named is not the enduring and unchanging name. (Conceived of as) having no name, it is the Originator of heaven and earth; (conceived of as) having a name, it is the Mother of all things.
Always without desire we must be found,
If its deep mystery we would sound;
But if desire always within us be,
Its outer fringe is all that we shall see.
Under these two aspects, it is really the same; but as development takes place, it receives the different names. Together we call them the Mystery. Where the Mystery is the deepest is the gate of all that is subtle and wonderful.

I wanted to point to the original meaning of Lao Tzu. The deep mystery that Lao Tzu is making the sound of, is in full harmony with his greatest desire in that moment of sounding it. What is trying to be said here is that we must always be found without yearning, but full allowance of the desire to come to its full realization and fullfillment, as all of desires is part and parcel of the same one desire to be one with this Source of all creation. For if yearning is within you, you can only see the outer fringes of reality and truth. For you are being in a state of mind of "I don't have what I want" and thus you focused on the lack of desire. Your perspective in yearning, is a distorted, lackful uncoherent, dissonant, discordant vibration, that can be felt as negative emotion, of not having what you want. So you thus in that perspective don't allow yourself to see it. Untill you let go of yearning, and simply enjoy the desire in its pure form. Which is in full harmony with the deep mystery of all creation is but a sound of the true Originator of heaven and earth.

And then when you don't understand something, that is really that mystery spoken of as the desire to understand it. Just like the white dot in the black. When you are focused on the outer fringes, you wanna understand it deeper, by letting go of the yearning and thus then allowing to come to a deeper realization of the true desire of all things in your every now moment of experience being in full harmony with all that is always all around you every now moment and again.

And then when you go deeper and deeper into all of that understanding, you learn of its ever expanding nature and infinite depth, and thus the deeper you go, the more expansive it becomes. For things can also expand in resolution. More subtle and wonderful is like going from 720p resolution to 1080p, to 4k to 8k to 16k to 24k, etc. More details, more subtle fine details, more wonderful, more realized, more acknowledged, deeper, more expansive, more full, more real, more vivid, more color, deeper contrast, etc.

Where is the deepest mystery? The inner eye of the mind. Is your window to all of infinite existance. How you wish to enter that experience, is up to you. You are infinitely free in the realm of infinity and eternity. And again, your heart always guides you, for it is your connection to the Source or Mother of all things. it will always guide you to a deeper acknowledgement, by allowing you to feel the discord of disharmonious dissonant vibrations as shadows or "lackful" perspective in every present now moment. You can never think or speak a lie, without instantly feeling the discord. So thus you realize, the greatest of truths, is that you are infinitely free. So free, you can choose bondage. You can choose to believe in a lie. And thus then, feel bad, in doing so. So powerful, that you cannot help but be powerful, even if you use all of your power to create an experience of being completely powerless.

You can say it's the advanced science of the ancients. But if you try to understand it, you enter a state of yearning, which again blocks your ability to understand it. So then, "always without desire we must be found." what is ment by that, is to enter a state of unconditional desire. The ability to acknowledge a desire, appart from the conditions around you. Because if you cannot see the truth outside of you, you have to go inside, into your unconditional nature, of mind, thought, feeling, emotion. To align with the desire. To allow the desire to come forth.

So if you look at this for example, you read all of this. "wtf is this dude talking about!" you are "yearning to understand me." So you "cannot understand me." That is ment here, the word yearning is more appropriate.

So then you realize the desire itself is its own realization! You just step out of the way of the desire, you allow to flow forth, by letting go of yearning. You can let go of yearning by meditation. For yearning is not of your natural nature, you can stop doing it and still be fully in your natural human physical body. Allowing the understanding of me to flow forth.

So yearning would be like frustration or irritation, but it can be despair aswell, more painful things like that. But lets say in this case it's an irritation. "WTF is this dude talking about?" So then you let go of yearning or irritation in this case, what happens? "This dude is speaking." Understanding. What are you capable of understanding? So then you step into your understanding, that is in alignment with your eternal desire of infinite knowledge, ever expanding into greater and greater heights of all that that is. And all you would have to do, is to align with the desire. Focusing on it, and realizing it are the same. Realizing it within, and realizing without (outward) is the same thing!

For you think of understanding. And you focus on it, you begin to realize understanding, and it vibrates, draws thoughts like it, thoughts like absorbtion, expansion of thought, coming to greater connection of all things, greater knowledge, more freedom, etc. And this then is realized, just by a non-physical flowing of thought, as all things flow forth from this unconditional Source of All creation. And thus you realize you are yourself flowing forth from it. And then you stop blocking your own flow, by letting go of yearning. But in that you are not without desire. For you are in pure desire. A fulfilled desire is the same as a pure desire. For every desire exists only to be fulfilled evermore by itself. Ever expanding as its own unconditional eternal and infinite nature that it is, as all things are. The desire is to flow with it, more consciously, and co-create, with it, more consciously. To choose what we truely expand into, what greater depths we truely want to realize for ourselves. And we realize the most exciting thing for us, is also always the most deep thing, because we can constantly allow ourselves to go deeper into all that we truely love and desire, because we love it so! So there is zero effort whatsoever, zero yearning, in allowing the full blown realization of all the greatest depth of truely wonderful and infinitely subtle experiences we can have in all of our highest of desires. That then is coming to the full realization of your true nature as an infinitely and eternally valuable being. To simply exist, for the mere purpose of eternally and infinitely expanding into greater depths of all that we can possibly want for ourselves. By mere virtue of the realization of any pure desire, as its own ever expanding nature. And allowing the river of our desire to flow in that way. As the Source of All Creation flows All of Creation all of the time. So everything is part of that unconditional loving nature, that is infinitely wise and infinitely knowledgable. Including you as you flow forth from it. Would you then yearn to stop your desire from flowing forth? No, you just create a shadow of who you are that way, and then only the outer fringe is what you see. So you let go of yearning, and acknowledge that every desire contains within it the full truth of all of creation of all that matters to you of your eternal connection of your true original Source. Simply asking yourself why you want what you want, and you slowly come into the full realization of the true core vibrational essence of all of your desires. To want what you want, because you think you will feel better in the having of it.

Then if you feel good, you realize it within yourself, and it becomes outside of yourself. Not because it has not always been. But because you have now allowed yourself to come to the full realization of it. As you always do, more and more, come to the greater realization of all that you want, in every now moment and again.

For even if your experience sucks, it only sucks, in order to realize its own ability to spit. So you stop reality from sucking on you, and then you allow it spit it's infinite values that it can possibly hold for you. Cause you can do that. By virtue of a simple acknowledgement of the desire to be serviced by reality in this way. For that desire in and of itself, contains the purity within it of the purest form of all eternal desires of all of existance coming to know itself in all the infinite ways that it can. Then why woulden't you be allowed to look at the service of reality unto you, in all of its infinity of values that it is eternally serving unto you. Go deeper, then, into all that you love, and you will effortlessly create the greatest of resolutions of the most subtle and wonderful. And then every sound you make, is in harmony with the eternal mystery of the ever expanding unconditionally loving Source of All Creation.

Edited by Everything

18 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

It was a rhetorical question. There is no yearning. 

Can you tell me more about this yearning that does not exist?

Edited by Everything

6 minutes ago, Everything said:

Can you tell me more about this yearning that does not exist?

Not possible.

• Like 2

The only way to talk about something that doesn't exist is to make up attributes of an imagined existence.  All the words we make up would be lies.  Why even waste our time?

But desires exist.  Yes, they are a mental trip but they exist in our mind so they are real to us.

• Like 1

"to go far" and "return" and  also "standing still" - are basic and core tenets of Taoism, to toss any of them out means one is not recognizing the basic and core meanings and tenets of Taoism.

as for desire,  all desires are but various (10,000) echos of the one true desire which is directly alluded to in Taoism in Chap 21:

IT lies in the nature of Grand Virtue
To follow the Tao and the Tao alone.
Now what is the Tao?
It is Something elusive and evasive.
Evasive and elusive!
And yet It contains within Itself a Form.
Elusive and evasive!
And yet It contains within Itself a Substance.
Shadowy and dim!
And yet It contains within Itself a Core of Vitality.
The Core of Vitality is very real,
It contains within Itself an unfailing Sincerity.
Throughout the ages Its Name has been preserved
In order to recall the Beginning of all things.
How do I know the ways of all things at the Beginning?
By what is within me.

Ok then lets say, I let go of all desire, and I also have no desire for clarity. So I speak gibberish.

sdaksklnfls;vn fjvnkjafvnalkjalfgrd

So you could say that that is the deep mystery you wish to sound. But you don't have a desire for it. So you didn't even make the sound to begin with.

Infact, you ceased to exist. Your life force stopped flowing. So there is no oxigen going to your brain or anywhere.

Or, you could be without yearning, and align with the greater clarity of more oxigen, that causes a higher resolution perception that causes one to comprehend existance in a more REAL and deep way. And you speak mysteries, meaning it may be a far stretch for most people, but it is a very close reality and possibility that causes one to call it a mystery in their curiosity to begin with.

Edited by Everything

You do realize that to yearn is to desire strongly or with intensity don't you? They are synonyms.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

You do realize that to yearn is to desire strongly or with intensity don't you? They are synonyms.

And why do you call it strong. Because someone who is yearning is flexing their muscles? Does that mean they have less ability to do what they need to do when they need to do it, or more?

And what does intensity have to do with it? When does someone call a desire intense? Does someone look at a desire they feel is impossible to achieve, and then say "This is intense"

Or does someone look at a big desire, that is very easy to achieve and say "This is intense..." Or would they rather be saying "This is wonderful, and so easy and so much fun and so rewarding and I feel so blessed."

Edited by Everything

I used to desire a lot until I read about Buddhism and learned that desire leads to suffering.  Now I only yearn.  Occasionally, I`ll covet.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

I used to desire a lot until I read about Buddhism and learned that desire leads to suffering.  Now I only yearn.  Occasionally, I`ll covet.

And what has caused you to desire to be without desire?

Edited by Everything

Desire v Yearn

de·sire
/dəˈzī(ə)r/
noun
  1. 1.
    a strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen.
    "a desire to work in the dirt with your bare hands"
    synonyms: wish, want, aspiration, fancy, inclination, impulse; 
    yearning,longing, craving,hankering, hunger;
    eagerness,enthusiasm,determination;
    informalyen, itch,jones

yearn
    /yərn/
    verb
    verb: yearn; 3rd person present: yearns; past tense: yearned; past participle: yearned; gerund or present participle: yearning
    1. have an intense feeling of longing for something, typically something that one has lost or been separated from.
      "she yearned for a glimpse of him"
      synonyms: long for, pine for, crave, desire, want, wish for, hanker for, covet, lust after/for, pant for, hunger for, burn for, thirst for, ache for, eat one's heart out for, have one's heart set on; More
      informalhave a yen for, itch for
      "he yearned for a second chance"

OK, I`ll take a stab at desire vs yearning.  

To me, yearning has a purity that is missing from garden-variety desire.  Right now I`m desiring asada tacos from the taqueria next door but my wanting doesn`t rise to the level of yearning.  When we yearn, we put all of ourselves into the wanting and that total commitment gives the yearning a burning, poetic quality that is missing from mere desire.  Buddhists talk about desire leading to suffering because desire is of the ego.  But when desire reaches a fever pitch, as in yearning, I believe that it can actually burn away the ego.  Our yearning is so great that the ego is obliterated in the intensity of the emotion.  

Yearn for more.
...don't linger in any spiritual benefit
you have gained,
but yearn for more,
like one suffering from illness
whose thirst for water is never quenched...
Rumi

Duality is like a drug that gets one to babble about duality... TDB is now a Webster's Dictionary ?   :D

The problem with Duality is Singularity is confusing... like the children don't understand the parent :huh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marblehead said:

I yearn for the days when I had more desires.

Yearning always seemed to carry a note of melancholy to it, while desire seemed fiery and hot.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

OK, I`ll take a stab at desire vs yearning.  

To me, yearning has a purity that is missing from garden-variety desire.  Right now I`m desiring asada tacos from the taqueria next door but my wanting doesn`t rise to the level of yearning.  When we yearn, we put all of ourselves into the wanting and that total commitment gives the yearning a burning, poetic quality that is missing from mere desire.  Buddhists talk about desire leading to suffering because desire is of the ego.  But when desire reaches a fever pitch, as in yearning, I believe that it can actually burn away the ego.  Our yearning is so great that the ego is obliterated in the intensity of the emotion.  

Yearn for more.
...don't linger in any spiritual benefit
you have gained,
but yearn for more,
like one suffering from illness
whose thirst for water is never quenched...
Rumi

You're talking about pain. The desire is to live without pain. I understand that.

5 hours ago, Kar3n said:

Desire v Yearn

de·sire
/dəˈzī(ə)r/
noun
  1. 1.
    a strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen.
    "a desire to work in the dirt with your bare hands"
    synonyms: wish, want, aspiration, fancy, inclination, impulse; 
    yearning,longing, craving,hankering, hunger;
    eagerness,enthusiasm,determination;
    informalyen, itch,jones

yearn
    /yərn/
    verb
    verb: yearn; 3rd person present: yearns; past tense: yearned; past participle: yearned; gerund or present participle: yearning
    1. have an intense feeling of longing for something, typically something that one has lost or been separated from.
      "she yearned for a glimpse of him"
      synonyms: long for, pine for, crave, desire, want, wish for, hanker for, covet, lust after/for, pant for, hunger for, burn for, thirst for, ache for, eat one's heart out for, have one's heart set on; More
      informalhave a yen for, itch for
      "he yearned for a second chance"

Yeah, both sound like yearning to me.

Synonyms in this dictionary of yours are craving yearning longing for something that you don't have, something that doesn't exist,  hankering, hunger.

Where as a desire might be, to eat food when you're feeling hungry. A desire might be, to feel better, when you're having pain. A desire might be to feel relief from that pain. Those desires are not intense.

Like all electricity, it wants to flow, like life force. If it's constricted, like oxigen, your face turns blue and become pain. Then you yearn for air. The desire is not the yearning. The desire is to allow oxigen to flow freely.

Edited by Everything

3 hours ago, ilumairen said:

Yearning always seemed to carry a note of melancholy to it, while desire seemed fiery and hot.

It's funny you say fiery and hot, because again, when you have allot of desire, the desire is not the source of the fire and hotness. It is the resistance through which the current of your life force or desire flows that causes you to experience that resistance as hot and fiery. That doesn't mean desire is hot and fiery.

It's like I am going to slap my own face. And then I'm going to show you my hand. "Ilumairen, this hand of mine... Is pain..." 

:lol:

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I yearn for the days when I had more desires.

So are you saying you never had desires?

Edited by Everything

4 hours ago, dawei said:

Duality is like a drug that gets one to babble about duality... TDB is now a Webster's Dictionary ?   :D

The problem with Duality is Singularity is confusing... like the children don't understand the parent :huh:

Wait, so you think duality is two things and singularity is one thing?

What if I said there are infinite things. Do you know how long it takes to count infinity? Eternity. Do you know how long eternity is? Forever.

Edited by Everything

16 minutes ago, Everything said:

It's funny you say fiery and hot, because again, when you have allot of desire, the desire is not the source of the fire and hotness. It is the resistance through which the current of your life force or desire flows that causes you to experience that resistance as hot and fiery. That doesn't mean desire is hot and fiery.

It's like I am going to slap my own face. And then I'm going to show you my hand. "Ilumairen, this hand of mine... Is pain..." 

:lol:

There is a natural inner heat.. And this heat can be stirred up. 

Life itself, on one level, is heat.

But mostly I was just feeling chatty (for me), and playing around with what the words are generally used to evoke in a literary sense. 

Your analogy is just silly imo. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this