Sign in to follow this  
Nungali

You never know what may work

Brush Turkeys - they can be a BIG nuisance !  They dig and claw, gardens, veggies, etc .  Hard to repel.   many a story abounds .

Australian-Scrub-turkey-600x400_DxO.jpg

One classic one was at an Aussie Buddhist monastery, the turkeys were causing havoc in the veggie garden so the monks would chase them off, one day a monk threw an avocado  seed at one to chase to away but he got it in the head by mistake and killed it. Freaked out by the accident, they were remorseful but decided to not waste but 'honour' the bird by eating it for dinner .  That created a turkey rebellion, they went on an aggressive  campaign  against the monks like they had not seen before, it got out of hand and they had to get in someone to do a special ceremony of appeasement to calm things down.

I patiently trained my crew so their  behaviour was acceptable - mostly . But a  new little strumpet girl turkey turns up this spring and throws the whole system into chaos ... the boys have lost the plot !   That little titch   ( a turkey bitch )  has ruined  all that hard work !

Now,  my 7 year build up of rare  pansospernums have been dug up and they ate the bulbs, my new cycads were overturned and the  sprouted nuts eaten, weird as they are toxic, and now any new plant is dug up, soil all over the paths, garden beds ruined .

Right !  I was gonna set up a trap and send them down river !    But they are protected and big fines apply for messing with them .

But you cant get fined for  'scaring'   them  :) 

But a friend told me about this new turkey repellent   ....   so I went out and bought some and put them in the garden

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuPjyV21SH7A800tSt_NS

She says the turkeys immediately freaked out and ran away . 

I plan on playing hard core and modifying mine a bit 

5037801321_a98f47c160_b.jpg

... and the turkeys were   strangely absent yesterday ... and no garden damage this morning .

Yeah !    :) 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/soft-toys-are-last-defence-from-pesky-bush-turkeys/ar-BBFwtHF

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Congrats on the 10K.

According to some ....  it shows my lack of wisdom    ;)  

1 minute ago, Nungali said:

According to some ....  it shows my lack of wisdom    ;)  

Well, lets just not you and I compare post count based on that criteria, Okay?

But then, what the hell, why not?

The old  'Florida turtle'  eh   ?  

(Apalone ferox)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjdGZFfn-yR-sApmE8GbI

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this