wandelaar

I Ching and the dynamics of complex systems

The I ching is a book about the nature of the universe that we live in. The book explains how these energies interplay and are related. It is not a fabricated by the mind thing it is the observation of how things are.

Kid level is the i ching game of throwing coins or sticks. 

The ‘Changes’, namely are the Tai Ji diagram, the Yin Yang concept and the eight trigrams.

By looking at the ancient Chinese pictographs, we can derive some of their original meaning. The character for ‘Yi’ is made up of a ‘日’ at the top, which represents ‘Supreme Yang’, or the sun. Below is made up of ‘月’, which represents the moon. The sun is yang, the moon is yin, and therefore ‘Yi’ is Yin and Yang forming one integral and holistic entity. Yi is exactly the concept of Yin and Yang:

‘Yi’s’ greatest distinguishing feature is its transformations. Like with the sun and the moon, in the daytime the sun shines, and in the evening, the moon rises. Yang changes into Yin, Yin changes into Yang. The ‘Yi’ also follows this pattern with the Tai Ji diagram’s Yang unbroken lines “—” and Yin broken lines “–” , that is, Tai Ji gives birth to the two polarities of Yin and Yang. The two polarities give birth to the four divisions, the four divisions give birth to the eight trigrams, going one step further after the arrangement and composing of the eight trigrams the 64 hexagrams are generated.

The ‘Tai Ji Diagram is precisely the ‘Boundless Infinite Diagram’. 
The ‘Boundless Infinite’ is exactly Yin embracing Yang, 
Yang embracing Yin, 
Yin and Yang not yet being separated, 
the time of heaven and earth not yet having taken shape.”

‘Still, quiet and unmoving, perceiving, thereupon communing’

Only if one lets go of all original cognition, knowledge and attachments, will one truly be able to naturally communicate and unify with Heaven and Earth, as well as the ten thousand things and the higher dimensions. Only then will one be able to open one’s wisdom and perceive the true meanings of the universe and the ten thousand things. For instance sitting meditation and the cultivation of stillness will enable one to open the three eyes, enlighten one to the truth that common people are not aware of.

(2)
‘Sages do not fortune-tell.’

The word ‘Sages’ refers to realised people, awakened to the true essences of the universe and the ten thousand things. They are in no need to take advantage and exploit the divinatory casting methods, foretelling fortune and misfortune, gain and loss.

Edited by Wu Ming Jen
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

The I Ching is inherently subjective. It takes a person to frame the session by asking a question, calculating a response and interpreting the response. Of course the subject plays a role in this - and a large role at that. This makes objectivity difficult at best.

And that's why it is not my kind of thing. But it will doubtlessly help some people in exploring their own thoughts and feelings and the situations they are in.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

By looking at the ancient Chinese pictographs, we can derive some of their original meaning. The character for ‘Yi’ is made up of a ‘日’ at the top, which represents ‘Supreme Yang’, or the sun. Below is made up of ‘月’, which represents the moon.

I beg to differ: http://www.itcn.nl/serendipity/archives/111-Working-with-Yi-a-change-for-the-better.html

It says the same thing in your link almost word for word see below . So how do we differ?

the character yi: the top part is the sun 日, and the lower part is the moon 月, written in its old form as 勿.

3 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

It says the same thing in your link almost word for word see below . So how do we differ?

the character yi: the top part is the sun 日, and the lower part is the moon 月, written in its old form as 勿.

Read the rest of the article.

7 hours ago, Harmen said:

Read the rest of the article.

I  read the article. I have been taught by a taoist preist and we have to apply the principles so it is not mental chatter and ineffective. 

The article seems speculative and grasping at straws for alternative meaning. Maybe this will help with the author of the links confusion.

Since the ‘Yi’ reflects the changes of the sun and the moon, the transformations of the universe, and the shifts in the human world, its transformations are limitless and infinite.

Although the transformations of the ten thousand things in the universe are without limits and infinite, the universe only possesses the two Yin and Yang talismans, out of which everything is formed and composed.
This incorporates the notion that the more complicated a system seems, the more simple are the rules it is based upon. If issues arise, one must search out for the laws that govern the system. Fu Xi found out these rules and regulations. The rules and regulations are ‘Yin’ and ‘Yang

Although all matters and substances of this natural world undergo infinite transformations, they all obey to laws. Once humans recognize these kinds of rules and laws, they consequently will be able to adapt and assimilate. They will be able to transform and determine the changes of matters and affairs.

However there are some nature governed transformations that seem to be everlasting and permanent, that cannot be altered or modified by human will. People must follow the natural order, and they must not violate the natural rules.

‘Some things necessitate action, others require non-action.’

‘Still, quiet and unmoving, perceiving, thereupon communing’

Only if one lets go of all original cognition, knowledge and attachments, will one truly be able to naturally communicate and unify with Heaven and Earth, as well as the ten thousand things and the higher dimensions. Only then will one be able to open one’s wisdom and perceive the true meanings of the universe and the ten thousand things. For instance sitting meditation and the cultivation of stillness will enable one to open the three eyes, enlighten one to the truth that common people are not aware of.

(

2 minutes ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

I  read the article. I have been taught by a taoist preist and we have to apply the principles so it is not mental chatter and ineffective. 

The article seems speculative and grasping at straws for alternative meaning. Maybe this will help with the author of the links confusion.

Since the ‘Yi’ reflects the changes of the sun and the moon, the transformations of the universe, and the shifts in the human world, its transformations are limitless and infinite. etc.

You can get all philosophical here but you can't ignore the fact that the character 易 (after all that is what you were talking about) was never made of 日 and 月. I give sources that substantiate that. There is nothing 'speculative' about that. See the examples in the 古文字诂林, Vol. 8. p 435-443 if you don't believe me. See attachment.

易 in Guwenzi Gulin.pdf

The character represent yin and yang together. One Unified whole.

we can call them by a different pair but sun and moon is relevant to all living things it changes nothing unless you have a thought on it I would be interested to hear.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:34 PM, Harmen said:

Good research but misses the mark. In  its most ancient bronze form YI comes from moon character only (no sun part)

beams.gif this part is not a stand-alone character, but rather a part of the moon character. The latter was borrowed to signify change because moon's shape is changeable (as opposed to sun's).

This is moon:

http://hanziyuan.net/#月

image.png.9fcebf467f143dafdb047e5f9a1851e1.png

This is change - yi

image.png.bc3115a1bc45965e11c9b8dbe3f955b3.png

See how they are the same image?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

beams.gif this part is not a stand-alone character, but rather a part of the moon character.

Ah, but beams.gif is (also) a stand-alone character, as can be seen on the oracle bones. 

18 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

The latter was borrowed to signify change because moon's shape is changeable (as opposed to sun's).

So you are saying that 月 together with 彡 is used to signify 'change'? I can live with that. I believe that is also what I am saying in my article: "  yi-ob-small.gif refers to an offering to the moon, or at least in the dark, to get the sun back. Yi 易 could have been a sacrifice to the ancestors or spirits (indicated by beams.gif) during the evening or in the night (indicated by moonwithoutdot.gif) to make sure that the sun is returning, that it is 'given' by the ancestors or spirits."

Edited by Harmen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Harmen said:

Ah, but beams.gif is (also) a stand-alone character, as can be seen on the oracle bones. 

I have not researched it so I will take yr word for it. Does it have a phonetic? Can it be found here?

http://kjc-sv016.kjc.uni-heidelberg.de:8080/exist/apps/jiaguwen/search.html

2 hours ago, Harmen said:

So you are saying that 月 together with 彡 is used to signify 'change'?  

Yes. Almost. I say its just 月.

image.png.9fcebf467f143dafdb047e5f9a1851e1.png

the 3 strokes being an integral part of 月, not an extra add-on.