Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Albert Camus Quotes

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend.

• Like 6

“I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgment, it takes place every day.”

“The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.”

“But in the end one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.”

Real generosity towards the future lies in giving all to the present.” 

“Thinking of the future, establishing aims for oneself, having preferences—all this presupposes a belief in freedom, even if one occasionally ascertains that one doesn’t feel it.” 

“In the past, the poverty they shared had a certain sweetness about it. When the end of the day came and they would eat their dinner in silence with the oil lamp between them, there was a secret joy in such simplicity, such retrenchment.” 

• Like 2

I have a fondness for existentialism and have usually associated him with it...  so:  

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/camus/

Although he forcefully separated himself from existentialism, Camus posed one of the twentieth century’s best-known existentialist questions, which launches The Myth of Sisyphus: “There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide”

• Like 2

But Sisyphus must be considered happy.

May I suggest that Camus was an Anarchist?  (The Rebel.)

(And maybe an Apatheist?)

(And after all thoughts have been had, life is still worth living.)

• Like 1

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.

• Like 3

that reminded me of hearing Christmas music at the mall just a few days ago......

of course to stimulate sales and get the anxiety ramped up for shopping. it was the very day after halloween

I don't even remember the song but I felt like I am in a terrible trap- a moment of nostalgia but then I just wanted to leave and I did too.

sorry my apology this has nothing to do with what you are pointing too....

and the very fact that the ladies room smells like a kd lang concert yet another reason to high tail it OUT.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sagebrush said:

that reminded me of hearing Christmas music at the mall just a few days ago......

of course to stimulate sales and get the anxiety ramped up for shopping. it was the very day after halloween

I don't even remember the song but I felt like I am in a terrible trap- a moment of nostalgia but then I just wanted to leave and I did too.

sorry my apology this has nothing to do with what you are pointing too....

and the very fact that the ladies room smells like a kd lang concert yet another reason to high tail it OUT.

I've always thought you are a guy.  What were you doing in the lady's room?

But yes, your response does relate to the quote.

In the mall you felt the death of winter instead of the life of summer.  So you ran away before it touched you too deeply.

reading about summer when it is fall

being at the mall hearing Christmas music and it is only the day after halloween

Edited by sagebrush
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, a month ago I went to Wal-Mart and they were putting up the Christmas stuff.

It's all about money.  Put it out so people can buy it.

Jus checking about the lady's room.

26 minutes ago, zerostao said:

“Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is.”

comments?

This crazy truth is the very thing which raises man above the ape, beyond the dictatorship of corporeal existance , into the realm of the heavens.

• Like 2

who won what?

I had read the passage of the invincible summer----only relating that to a damn kd lang cd-

not remembering that she was quoting albert camus.

until I scrolled through albert camus quotes and read the winter.....invincible summer.

quote. I don't think I want to understand or undergo anyones experience of some invincible summer.

I am happy in endless sad.

thank you--

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I am happy in endless sad.

Well, that doesn't sound very inspiring.  How about endless Spring?

its very late for me to be on computer. I need directions to Indianapolis. packing for a trip. the Nationals for band comps.

Colts stadium-Bands of America!!!!

The Knights just won the State Band Marching Invitational and State Honor Band title for 7th year in a row.

this is truly inspiring

be back soon~

• Like 1

I have this two part audio cassette where three of Camus's works are lectured on... I've listened to it more than once only because I can't recall all the richness of the lectures !  

It has been remarked that Camus would certainly reject the title of an existentialist... well... and Jesus a christian... so let's forget about whether labels truly fit or not :P

41B7jRj0TqL._SY332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In Camus's the Stranger:  "The benign indifferent of the universe"...  is he talking about existentalism or Dao  :D

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dawei said:

In Camus's the Stranger:  "The benign indifferent of the universe"...  is he talking about existentalism or Dao  :D

What a question.

I can't suggest that it is Daoism as from my readings of him I was never inspired to think that he ever knew anything about Daoist Philosophy.

He may still have been in his existentalistic mentality at the time of writing that.  I think it is fair to suggest that he was headed toward that path.  But something broke him out of that path.  I like to think that it was his becoming more influenced by Nietzsche.

Human life is absurd but still worth living.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this