Sign in to follow this  
gj551

cure smoking addiction with qigong :3

what if one was to translate the damage smoking causes into qigong terms? i suffer from severe smoking addiction.. what (kind of) qigong exercies are best to cure/repair the specific damage smoking causes? :) the lungs are associated with the element of metal (and the color white, and the direction "west").. so... 

1342535409802s.jpg

Edited by gj551

Medical qigong and certain movements do target the lungs... Pi Quan from Xingyiquan is related to the lungs.

Though the effects from smoking are systemic, so it affects the heart and other parts as well. The only thing is to drastically reduce or quit your habit, so that the body can heal on it's own, with the aid of qigong. 

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Best wishes with that one.  I still smoke.  And I know I will die from a living related disease.

I'd rather you didn't smoke here. 

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dosa said:

I'd rather you didn't smoke here. 

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

Yeah, when my car was at the dealership they arranged a rental for me from a rental company and there were no smoking sings inside.  lucky for them all I used it for was to get home and then go back and get my car.  Any significant time in it and I am sure I would have smoked in their car.

I had a visitor once who, when I was about to light up, said they would rather I didn't smoke.  I said they could leave any time they were ready.  I also had someone who begged a ride from me and when I started to light up they said they would rather I didn't smoke.  I said I will be smoking.  Either they put up with that or they could ride in the back of the pickup.  Believe it or not they selected the back of the pickup.  I'm sure she had a nice ride home.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, gj551 said:

what if one was to translate the damage smoking causes into qigong terms? i suffer from severe smoking addiction.. what (kind of) qigong exercies are best to cure/repair the specific damage smoking causes? :) the lungs are associated with the element of metal (and the color white, and the direction "west").. so... 

Interesting question and I hope you get a good answer.  There have been a couple of high level masters who've been known to smoke.

The only two things I got are you may want to try the 10 Week Wim Hof method.  It gives the lungs a good work out with its rapid breathing, it teaches you how to completely fill your lungs.  It also develops will power as you work with long breath holds and have to face cold showers each day.  It builds the will.  If you can step into an icy cold shower and stay there for 10 minutes, you can go a few hours without lighting up. 

Another angle for practitioners is to turn your addiction from dirty habit into something sacred.  Start buying the more expensive 'Indian' brands or roll your own.  Keep them in a special meaningful container.  Then create a special setting, have a mini ceremony for each smoke.  Return smoking to the sacred and perhaps you can gain control over the addiction.

• Like 2

Yeah - you just need to stop gradually. 

I like thelerner’s Suggestion of making it more of a ceremony - so you do it less often. Combine it with something else. For example going outside and taking 9 deep breaths before smoking. Over time do more of the 9 breaths part than the smoking part and it’ll be easier to quit. The 9 breaths will have as much of a relaxing effect anyway.

in regards to healing from the effects of smoking. This can only really happen once you stop. All Qi gong done properly will help with that.

there are masters who smoke. There are masters who drink. There are ones who eat junk. Health and skill in Qi is not inextricably linked. You can be very unhealthy and die young, but still have good Gong.

theres an obvious cause and effect relationship between smoking and bad health. If you don’t mind being unhealthy and the consequences of that, then you should be able to smoke as much as you wish - don’t be pressured into stopping - there’s nothing ‘morally’ wrong with it.

• Like 1

I'd been a smoker since '96, to varying degrees. Earlier this year my dad passed away too young, from cancer. Seemed like an appropriate time for me to kick the habit for good. At first it took a bit of nicotine gum, cannabis, and cheap scotch, but here i am three months later and not dare going back.

I recently found out i can walk three miles without a break, and count to 1,042 out loud.

Edited by Nintendao

Oh! @gj551, one more thing that i found really helpful to combat the related inflammation is Turmeric extract dissolved into tea or soup. Also amla and moringa if you can get it. Vitamin C.

Sign in to follow this