3bob

Yutang Lin

it's been awhile since this quote has popped up,  and since many of us have been going around and around in ways related to it I thought I'd add it to the mix...so we can see what else pops out.

By Yutang Lin:  "Teaching of "Non-form" indicates non-attachment to form. Misinterpreted, it is adopted as holding to absence of form. Abiding in no forms at all, one falls into the abyss of void. Only in no grasping to form or non-form lies true liberation"

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

which btw I think could be adapted to help on the recent topic of, can we know Truth.

or trouble that neo-this or thats might get into, or.....

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

Yep.  If we remove the ground we stand on we would surely fall into the abyss.

There is a big difference between denial of form and non-attachment to form.  But even non-attachment to form is only a mental exercise.  While there is a physical body there will always be the need for physical support.

• Like 2

...and what of a transition zone (so to speak) from formless to form or back again?

and what of pure light/energy without specific form yet it to is of form in the sense that it is woven into specific shapes in time and space. (along with such times and spaces going beyond only 3d constructs, something that is  hard to wrap your head around even after two or three cups of coffee or ginseng tea)

btw, what is it that can really fall into a really hairy void,  (hell I'd rather fall into a "ground-hog day" movie type scenario than that - which would give me time to learn playing the piano and to understand women better!)

Edited by 3bob

27 minutes ago, 3bob said:

to understand women better!)

That's a joke, Right?  Anything like that is not going to happen.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, 3bob said:

and what of pure light

That's why I don't talk about light.  It is a manifestation of universal energy just like all other manifestations are.

Pure energy is the root of all manifestations.

And no, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

That's a joke, Right?  Anything like that is not going to happen.

what do I know...(except that one does not want to cross Kali-ma)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

That's why I don't talk about light.  It is a manifestation of universal energy just like all other manifestations are.

Pure energy is the root of all manifestations.

And no, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole.

isn't that a white hole you are talking about?

3 minutes ago, 3bob said:

isn't that a white hole you are talking about?

No, you go in a Black Hole and come out of a White Hole.  One-way traffic only.

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

No, you go in a Black Hole and come out of a White Hole.  One-way traffic only.

no, I think it has to be a two way street along or in the transition zone...

...per the paraphrase, "the Tao goes far and also returns", if one will that sounds like a two way street...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 3bob said:

no, I think it has to be a two way street along or in the transition zone...

What I am hearing from science recently is that it is a one way street.  Same with time travel.  You can go forward but you can't go back.

6 hours ago, Marblehead said:

What I am hearing from science recently is that it is a one way street.  Same with time travel.  You can go forward but you can't go back.

then again if one considers the "One" as containing everything including time and space, and also if one is free within the One, then one could go to anytime in time or anywhere in space per that total freedom.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 3bob said:

then again if one considers the "One" as containing everything including time and space, and also if one is free within the One, then one could go to anytime in time or anywhere in space per that total freedom.

Perhaps.  But I have never been allowed in the lady's dressing room.

30 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Perhaps.  But I have never been allowed in the lady's dressing room.

they say it is not impossible for a soul with mostly male incarnations to reincarnate as a woman,  and then gaining entry into such a dressing room would be kosher.

7 minutes ago, 3bob said:

they say it is not impossible for a soul with mostly male incarnations to reincarnate as a woman,  and then gaining entry into such a dressing room would be kosher.

Well, if I were a woman I would be wanting in the men's dressing room.

But yeah, I suppose reincarnation allows for many possibilities.  

Have you read the Lin Yutang translation of the Inner chapters of the Chuang Tzu?

4 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Well, if I were a woman I would be wanting in the men's dressing room.

But yeah, I suppose reincarnation allows for many possibilities.  

Have you read the Lin Yutang translation of the Inner chapters of the Chuang Tzu?

haven't read that translation...is it also commentary?

btw, after working on and through some karmic results I have no desire to enter the wrong dressing rm...

and don't you know by now, "that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"  or her scorn?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 3bob said:

haven't read that translation...is it also commentary?

What I have has no commentary but a long time ago I checked it out from some library and if I recall it had only a little commentary.

13 minutes ago, 3bob said:

btw, after working on and through some karmic results I have no desire to enter the wrong dressing rm...

and don't you know by now, "that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"  or her scorn?

Yeah, I know all about that.  I guess that is one of the reasons there is no woman in my life right now and I don't expect to change during the remainder of this life.

And yes, I know about scorn.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

I guess that is one of the reasons there is no woman in my life right now 

Cats are nice. 

Affectionate, soft to the touch. 😁 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mudfoot said:

Cats are nice. 

There are cats.  Feral. Just like some of the women I have known.

By Yutang Lin:  "Teaching of "Non-form" indicates non-attachment to form. Misinterpreted, it is adopted as holding to absence of form. Abiding in no forms at all, one falls into the abyss of void. Only in no grasping to form or non-form lies true liberation"

I think the  Isa upanishad has similarities to this saying along important lines;  there is also a warning in this that some  renunciates might benefit from.  There is also a saying by Nagarjuna about the wisdom of non-attachment, anyway just doing some correlating which I think has some pros if we do not assume to much and cons if we do.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Mudfoot said:

Cats are nice. 

+1, cats make for great companions.

Easy to understand, they communicate clearly and are honest about their needs and wants. They also do not make a huge deal about being coherent or free from contraddictions, which is a pretty huge achievement compared to humans.

• Like 2