Sol

Systems and their respective Efficiencies

16 hours ago, thelerner said:

I did 13 years of Aikido, I'd agree with Sol's comments.  Not the best for MMA, but as a business/family man under relatively high stress it was a life saver.  The movements, intensity, philosophy.. meditation, healing system within.. helped me immensely and I wasn't headed for profession fighting either.   At times being relaxed in the face of a challenge and having the instincts to walk away before a bad situation happened was all I needed.

Instead of a single system, its not so bad to stay with a system for a years or decades then move on to something fresh. 

Bowing.

I hope to meet you on the mat then someday...

Don't get me wrong. The elegance of this martial art cannot be matched. When done properly a dislocated shoulder, a fractured arm, or a full on concussion is in the future of a receiving entity. I've seen some weird shit happen on the mat as well. But it is not very common.

• Like 1

Tai Chi Chuan.

Okay. This is a near and dear system. I've spent the longest period of time practicing this style of traditional martial arts.

Started with Yang family, of course. Spent some time in Sun and Chen style as well. I have traditionally accepted and dished out challenges to various dojos in the region. I always set up a consistent dojo time to push hands with other instructors in whatever region I may move into. Its respectful and important to the longevity and spirit of the tradition.

Sadly, this system is dying. And the old families know it. There was a meeting a couple years back in Tennessee to figure out how best to sustain the systems in the modern age of short attention span. All the families attended, including my instructors.

I hate the online videos of MMA vs Tai Chi. Whoever was the representation for Tai Chi sucked ass. If he knew is spit, he would know to defend in a certain manner, and he did not. So for me, that one particular video is non conclusive and sticks to that particular instructor. I have sparred over the years with various systems, and classical Tai Chi can hold its own. Not the foo foo crap peddled in most health and spiritual circles. I have solid gong and I am not afraid to fa jin you off my elbow.

It DOES have inefficiencies though. And one of the biggest is nobody is really qualified to teach above the health level anymore. There are few MARTIAL instructors left in the world. Its sad really. For with good instruction, you can really use some of the tools in combat applications. Most law enforcement take downs are either simple judo or tai chi. They just don't know it.

Please, comment away. I have much more to say in this realm.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sol said:

Tai Chi Chuan.

Okay. This is a near and dear system. I've spent the longest period of time practicing this style of traditional martial arts.

Started with Yang family, of course. Spent some time in Sun and Chen style as well. I have traditionally accepted and dished out challenges to various dojos in the region. I always set up a consistent dojo time to push hands with other instructors in whatever region I may move into. Its respectful and important to the longevity and spirit of the tradition.

Sadly, this system is dying. And the old families know it. There was a meeting a couple years back in Tennessee to figure out how best to sustain the systems in the modern age of short attention span. All the families attended, including my instructors.

I hate the online videos of MMA vs Tai Chi. Whoever was the representation for Tai Chi sucked ass. If he knew is spit, he would know to defend in a certain manner, and he did not. So for me, that one particular video is non conclusive and sticks to that particular instructor. I have sparred over the years with various systems, and classical Tai Chi can hold its own. Not the foo foo crap peddled in most health and spiritual circles. I have solid gong and I am not afraid to fa jin you off my elbow.

It DOES have inefficiencies though. And one of the biggest is nobody is really qualified to teach above the health level anymore. There are few MARTIAL instructors left in the world. Its sad really. For with good instruction, you can really use some of the tools in combat applications. Most law enforcement take downs are either simple judo or tai chi. They just don't know it.

Please, comment away. I have much more to say in this realm.

... if you insist! 😀

The other downfall is that it takes a long time to be able to use TJQ in battle (effectively). 

Thats why its peddled as a meditation art or health art. If I need to learn how to fight, I’m going to find a Krav Maga gym, or something similar.

and I’ve trained in IMA for fighting... Xingyiquan and Baguazhang, as well as TJQ. But if a friend of mine asked me to teach them how to fight... believe me I’ll be showing them the Kenpo I’ve learned. It’s just a lot quicker and a lot easier. 

Edited by Fa Xin

14 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

... if you insist! 😀

The other downfall is that it takes a long time to be able to use TJQ in battle (effectively). 

Thats why its peddled as a meditation art or health art. If I need to learn how to fight, I’m going to find a Krav Maga gym, or something similar.

and I’ve trained in IMA for fighting... Xingyiquan and Baguazhang, as well as TJQ. But if a friend of mine asked me to teach them how to fight... believe me I’ll be showing them the Kenpo I’ve learned. It’s just a lot quicker and a lot easier. 

Totally.

Krav Maga is amazing and THE best self defense art out there currently. Most well rounded in terms of individual defense, defense against a couple attackers, blunt object defense, firearm applications and more. I love Krav. And I actually think there should be some type of short term mandatory military exposure in our country, like Israel and Switzerland. You don't have to go to theater, but you should at least learn to be an effective deterrent for violence.

What schools of Bagua and Xingyi? Do I know you? LOL

• Like 1

Just now, Sol said:

Totally.

Krav Maga is amazing and THE best self defense art out there currently. Most well rounded in terms of individual defense, defense against a couple attackers, blunt object defense, firearm applications and more. I love Krav. And I actually think there should be some type of short term mandatory military exposure in our country, like Israel and Switzerland. You don't have to go to theater, but you should at least learn to be an effective deterrent for violence.

What schools of Bagua and Xingyi? Do I know you? LOL

Agreed with Krav. 

I’ve studied Juilong Bagua w John Painter and a few of his students. That was my main training... also Yang taijiquan.  For Xingyiquan it was Hebei style I learned from a Chinese friend... it was informal yet intense. 

• Like 2

On 10/5/2018 at 1:09 PM, Fa Xin said:

Agreed with Krav.

One thing I highly respect about the Krav Maga school near me is how inbetween techniques they do pushups/situps/calisthenics.  This means they practice tired with a high heart beat.  Closer to the fight/flight reaction during actual fights plus gets you into better shape.  

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 12:47 PM, thelerner said:

One thing I highly respect about the Krav Maga school near me is how inbetween techniques they do pushups/situps/calisthenics.  This means they practice tired with a high heart beat.  Closer to the fight/flight reaction during actual fights plus gets you into better shape.  

Krav is about the most well rounded system in modern times.

If a system doesn't have level one being physical fitness and strength, then turn away.

If your practitioner looks like they ate one too many cheeseburgers and couldn't run more than 100 yards, look elsewhere.

Strength is the number one, first step, IN ANY REAL SYSTEM. Including internal martial arts.

If you can't resist gravity, you are worthless.

Qi Gong

There are so many schools, so many variations that it is a very difficult topic. My third book deals with qi gong, and it is under construction at the moment.

Basically I'm going to say it like this:

All schools have to follow this path.

1) Learn simple breathing techniques.

2)Learn simple movements.

3) Learn some mild control over autonomic processes.

4) Repeat until you have some good physical awareness of self and coordination between breath and limbs.

5) Repeat the above process until you have refreshed every single type of physical structure in your body. No weakness.

6) Then you can start talking about empty force, external wai qi, nervous system emissions, fa jing etc...

So whatever movement school you choose, you have to get strong. Not just relaxed. That's for health only qi gong. If you want all the goods from consistent practice, you have to get strong. Period.

After strength comes the weird stuff that everyone wants to talk about.

Earth qi will eventually effect Pre Heaven qi.

But you have to work for it.

Edited by Sol