Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Free Wim Hof Mini course available

Cool, how's it going, how do you like it?

Most Taoist practices go along with nature and tend not to be forceful, so I don't think you'll find similar things in most Taoist playbooks.   Tibetan and Yogic practices probably have breathing patterns that use retention and fast 'fire' breathing. 

It's not very close but has a couple similar concepts, Tibetan 9 Step Bottled breathing has the same elements - https://www.meditationexpert.com/meditation-techniques/m_9_step_bottled_wind_pranayama_practice.html

Some compare Wim Hof to Tumo, which is not really accurate in my book, though they arrive at similar ends.  The Tumo practices I've been exposed to used 3 equal part breathing, 7in 7hold 7exhale or 10 10 10, and specific visualizations.. some had specific chants and deep poses too.  Even thats beginners level, the practice gets pretty deep. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

I have been doing the Wim Hof method. and yes, it is close to a lot of different breathing techniques, but in my experience, being in my 60's I was able to hold my breath after a couple of weeks of daily practice for 3 min's 6 seconds,  and that was with my lungs mostly empty.  (that is the way he has you hold your breath, with empty lungs, not a full breath, which is serious freaky the first time you do it).  I am also doing the cold water immersion,  and I found it amazing the difference when one does the breathing/ meditation before getting in the cold water. (this is also common in many martial arts).   It's not that the water is not cold, but it does not seem to be as unpleasant as one would think, especially if you can stay in a focused relaxed state.  all kinds of very good health things going on doing the cold water bath, and the breathing. I actually researched it, and found that this guy was spot on.  After getting out of the ice water, one feels like a million bucks. Hof recommends staying in the ice water for only about 2 min's.  it is not about being macho,  but resetting the body.  I also do a 3 day water fast every other month, which also re-boots the body, and immunity system.  We pay so much for pharmaceutical drugs to treat chronic conditions, when the body can heal itself for many things, and most of it is completely free.  good luck on your journey.   

• Like 2

I see the long breath holds as gaining vitamins A's- Alkaline & Adrenaline

and showers and baths provide Vitamin C- Cold which is anti-inflammatory

Sign in to follow this