dosa

Buddha has a hump on the top of his head

118532_55988_2948.jpg

%25EC%2598%25A4%25EB%25B0%25B1%25EB%2582

IMG_0552.jpg

Buddha has a hump on the top of his head
Why? It is because The energy enters the body from top to bottom.
The scalp was transformed into the hump

neidan training allows your skin to breathe.
It may deform the body from top to bottom(百會穴).

443e07205b26edce6cabbe975c12be33.jpg

The above information is very important in Taoist practice.
Teachers in Taoism around the world don't teach us anything like this. This is a very wrong practice.

This is a common phenomenon when you practice Taoism for a year or so, although experience varies from person to person.
It's a sign of an open on the top of head(百會穴).

But it would close soon. It's because bad energy comes into your body.
百會穴 is also called 天門穴(sky door).
The 天門穴(sky door) must be open to communicate in four-dimensions, and it depends on the success and failure of the Taoist.

20180620_083956.gif

百會穴 is linked directly to 湧泉穴. It's also linked to 勞宮穴 in both hands.
Most of the space energy enters the 百會穴 and exits each mother point(cell).
After decades of activity state, you may notice a distortion in the area of the crown[top] of the head.
It is particularly important when the crown[top] of the a deformed  head is included in the drawing

Edited by dosa
  • Like 1

Why the buddha didn't shave his head?

General answer is that he didn't need that discipline as much as his other monks, but according to this logic the Buddha doesn't do if he doesn't need to... and it supports the idea that the Buddha's regime of life is essential to enlightenment, even after enlightenment itself.

I think that there must be a positive reason for him not to shave his head.

13 minutes ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Why the buddha didn't shave his head?

The sundarikabhāradvāja-sutta, 孫咤利經 says “the buddha did shave his head.” :wub:

1 hour ago, dosa said:

The sundarikabhāradvāja-sutta, 孫咤利經 says “the buddha did shave his head.” :wub:

Does that mean that the Buddha had only 31 special signs? 

Are pictorial and iconographic sources less important that textual sources? Why? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Does that mean that the Buddha had only 31 special signs? 

Are pictorial and iconographic sources less important that textual sources? Why? 

The Diamond Sutra

"What do you think, Subhuti? Is it possible to grasp the Tathagata by means of bodily signs?" 
"No, World-Honored One. When the Tathagata speaks of bodily signs, there are no signs being talked about."  
The Buddha said to Subhuti: "In a place where there is something that can be distinguished by signs, in that place there is deception. If you can see the signless nature of signs, then you can see the Tathagata." 

I think bodily signs are a pack of nonsense. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dosa said:

I think bodily signs are a pack of nonsense. 

They are metaphores. 

Read the Lalitavistara Mahayana Sutra. 

If you have all those physical signs, you are probably an alien. 

• Like 2

neidan training allows your skin to breathe.
It may deform the body from top to bottom(百會穴).

Webbed feet? 

Longer arms? 

Canine teeth? 

That is why we never see a daoist immortal. 😁 

They would be hunted with pitchforks and torches by the local farmers. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mudfoot said:

Webbed feet? 

Longer arms? 

Canine teeth? 

That is why we never see a daoist immortal. 😁 

They would be hunted with pitchforks and torches by the local farmers. 

Laozi said we could gain it through “non-action.”
The taoist of many books is both inaccurate and exaggerated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mudfoot said:

They are metaphores. 

Read the Lalitavistara Mahayana Sutra. 

He is called the one who (has):

32. u nahisiso (p) His head is like a royal turban*1

31. Chōkeisō (j) Nikkeisō (j). Bump (protuberance) on top of head, representing wisdom*2

22. the uṣṇīṣa protuberance on the head *3

with the unseen diadem*4

, because he has long:

Bowed his head to the feet of his parents, to the feet of śramanas, brāhmins, and spiritual teachers, to all worthy of offerings. To the wandering monks he has spoken with just words, giving beggars colored powders, garlands, and head ornaments. *4

• Thanks 1

Or: 

I had the pleasure of supervising Dr. Oleg Bendz’s MA thesis, which was completed last year in the Dept. of East Asian Studies, on the 32 signs of the Buddha. The physical representation of the Buddha (Siddhārtha Gautama) is characterized by 32 uncommon attributes that are described in the Lalitavistara and other texts (including non-Buddhist texts) as the marks of a great man (mahāpuruṣalakṣaṇas). In various art forms depicting the Buddha, he is usually shown with some but not all of these attributes.

Dr. Bendz’s research notes that most of these 32 characteristics correspond to actual physical observations of congenital abnormalities, such as connective tissue disorders (Ehlers-Danlos and Marfan’s syndrome), which explain skeletal features (long arms, long digits and legs, pedal deformity), and acquired physical changes, i.e. endocrinopathies, as one might see with acromegaly (large tongue and jaw) and Cushing’s syndrome (interscapular hump, soft skin, hair growth quality). As Dr. Bendz pointed out to me, if the real Buddha had had more than two of these clinical features, he could hardly have lived beyond his teens, which is contrary to all texts, which categorically confirm that the Buddha was physically well-endowed and healthy, and lived well into his 80s.

Nevertheless, almost all the 32 main characteristics and the 80 sub-characteristics can be explained as real medical disorders, whether congenital or acquired (the only exception being the 40 white, well-set teeth), which can still be found, as Dr. Bendz’s photos convincingly illustrate. We usually do not see people afflicted by such disorders, since they are rarely seen in public. The exception may be people with Marfan’s syndrome, which could perhaps explain the extraordinarily long fingers seen in some pianists (not to speak of the usefulness of long arms for archers, such as Rāma, to whom the mahāpuruṣalakṣaṇas are also ascribed).

So what could be the explanation for these extraordinary signs of a great man? If we make a hypothesis in line with Foucault’s reasoning in his Histoire de la folie, it is possible that such congenital physical disorders – several of them recorded in medical literature such as the Carakasaṃhitā and the Suśrutasaṃhitā  – were considered a blessing, not a curse, just as Foucault’s medieval mental patients were declared blessed by God and not at all mad.

http://religion.utoronto.ca/the-32-signs-of-the-buddha-medical-considerations/ 

For those of you that does not believe in bodily based metaphores.

• Thanks 1

long earlobes too.  

still, better to concentrate on his words, then his appearance or dress.  i like my buddhas regular folk, not gods. 

• Thanks 1

Interestingly, those who have undergone phowa in Tibetan Buddhism are said to have an indent on the top of their skull. From my memory it is said to facilitate the transfer of consciousness at the time of death to rebirth in a pure land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vajra Fist said:

Interestingly, those who have undergone phowa in Tibetan Buddhism are said to have an indent on the top of their skull. From my memory it is said to facilitate the transfer of consciousness at the time of death to rebirth in a pure land.

Good text~!!

Thanks

5 hours ago, thelerner said:

long earlobes too.  

still, better to concentrate on his words, then his appearance or dress.  i like my buddhas regular folk, not gods. 

Good ~ 

Thanks ^^

14 hours ago, Mudfoot said:

For those of you that does not believe in bodily based metaphores.

OK, I respect your opinion

I think there are a couple of practices that talk about cranial bone shifts and a its not uncommon for monks and some long time cultivators to take on a androgynous appearance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dosa said:

OK, I respect your opinion

Nah, you don't. 😁 

But here on TDB you don't have to. Here everybody is entitled to an opinion, and you just have to be marginally polite when you trash it. 

Welcome to the bums! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 24/09/2018 at 3:21 PM, thelerner said:

I think there are a couple of practices that talk about cranial bone shifts and a its not uncommon for monks and some long time cultivators to take on a androgynous appearance. 

Firstly the bump on the head thing.

Well many will say this has something to do with the crown chakra and others may further point out a Tibetan practice which draws seamen to the brain where it accumulates at the top of the head, the formation is said to be like a large cyst.

As for the shaved head of Buddhists I always assumed it simply helped them keep a cool head, literally. I mean if monks are celibate then, as we are all aware, they will retain a massive amount of energy. So the Buddha has grown his hair and appears as androgynous perhaps It's because he is enlightened and the hair symbolise the awakened crown chakra and energy flowing back down his body (MCO perhaps). Buddhas and Bodhisattva are often depicted having their hair flowing down past their shoulders.  

I think imagery can be a great teacher whether the yin yang or the depiction of the Buddha's or Hindu gods. Concepts are less rigid when abstract and also more accessible as well as being hidden in plane sight!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hair is often wrapped up in human pride.  So shaving it off can be a way of less ego.  <so would be covering it up, or letting it grow naturally without grooming>.

side note, I also see an example of very yin becomes yang in this, in that if you're tough guy and can pull it off, a bald head is actually a sign of extreme bad ass-edness. 

• Like 2

I have a bump on the top of my head too.

I think mine is from a sledding accident as a kid though.

("That explains a lot" comments to follow)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

We love you anyway, Fa Xin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

I'm willing to explain more if you want to
Actually, I am not sure if this is a joke.
I was expecting it, but it's amazing that no one is studying Taoism.

1 hour ago, dosa said:

I'm willing to explain more if you want to
Actually, I am not sure if this is a joke.
I was expecting it, but it's amazing that no one is studying Taoism.

I always thought the bump in the paintings was something signifying the energy body, not the physical skull.