CityHermit!

The identity-less and purposeless thread

4 hours ago, Nungali said:

Okay.

So what time is it there in the middle of the night ?

At the time of your posting it was about 12:30AM in Arizona. It is now 4:30AM. :)

Okay.   We have established that time exists and it's not the same for everyone (identity).

Let's see what we can do with purpose?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Okay.   We have established that time exists and it's not the same for everyone (identity).

Let's see what we can do with purpose?

Unlike Apech, Marblehead does not hesitate to go off topic. ^_^

(Oh wait!  I just noticed that the topic of this thread was something about purposelessness so perhaps this is a return to the topic?  Not sure how I could of missed it.)

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Unlike Apech, Marblehead does not hesitate to go off topic. ^_^

(Oh wait!  I just noticed that the topic of this thread was something about purposelessness so perhaps this is a return to the topic?  Not sure how I could of missed it.)

Yes, that gave me a belly laugh.  And yes, it is true that I go off topic easily but there are reasons why I do it and I'm not going to tell anyone these reasons.

Yes, that was actually an attempt to get back on topic but shortly after I posted, it seems that the original OP in the other thread has become neutralized and I haven't heard any more than Y'all have regarding CityHermit so I guess this thread can go wherever it wants to.

I would like to play with this concept of "purpose" though if anyone cares to play and question/challenge me.

• Like 1

I have a special purpose. What is your special purpose?

I remember a movie where Steve Martian discovers his special purpose.Forget what that was, does not matter.

Back to the topic of being off topic my special purpose has nothing to do with the topic or not the topic I do not even use my purpose on purpose. It may seem a bit confusing but confusion helps lead to more confusion. What time is it? Who am I, how did I get here and where am I going. Any feed back would be helpful. Also what is the meaning of life and why should I always look on the bright side of life I hear those words over and over again in song form what is the purpose of that. So many questions so little time. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

And yes, it is true that I go off topic easily but there are reasons why I do it and I'm not going to tell anyone these reasons.

I assume those reasons are related to some kind of secret, unexpected benevolence?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, liminal_luke said:

I assume those reasons are related to some kind of secret, unexpected benevolence?

I know when I'm being primed.  Forget it.

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I know when I'm being primed.  Forget it.

Ah, Marblehead.  It`s not so much that I wanted to get you to say something you`re not interested in saying.  More that I wanted to drop an intuition of mine your way in case it connected with you.  But perhaps I was mistaken.  There are reasons why I do this and I`m not going to tell anyone these reasons.  ^_^  Other than perhaps to note that it has something to do with my purpose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, liminal_luke said:

it has something to do with my purpose.

Self-defined purpose or as a result of cause and effect?

1 minute ago, Marblehead said:

Self-defined purpose or as a result of cause and effect?

Hmmm...not sure.  I fibbed earlier when I said I wasn`t going to say anything about why I do that because I don`t actually mind.  I enjoy making connections with people, and using words to do so.  My hope is that others feel seen and that this feels good to them.  I don`t often talk about my strengths here, but I think being able to do this is one of them.  Not that it happens all the time or infallibly, mind you.  

It`s possible that I focused in on this capacity as a result of childhood circumstances.  In that sense it might be cause and effect?  I dunno.  But it`s something I like about myself and when I see an opportunity to reach out to another person in a deeper way, and it feels right to do so, I do.  It may not be the entirety of my purpose but it`s part of how I see myself.

• Like 1

Very nice.  And yes, I have noticed that you do this.

And yes, I suppose that this could be one of your purposes.  To allow others to be comfortable talking with you as well as causing others to not be afraid to post in this forum.

Purpose though,  our individual purpose in life.  I see many possibilities.  The first, of course, is that we have to create our own purpose because either no one has guided us toward a purpose or that the purpose designed for us was not compatible with how we view the value of our own life.

And then, there are parents who point their child toward a purpose they have selected for them.  Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

And, of course, there are those born for no purpose except that their parents created a fertilized egg.  Those folks have a hard time in life, and especially finding a purpose for themselves.

• Like 1

My sense is that we all have particular gifts and strengths in life, and much of what constitutes a meaningful, purposeful life is putting them to good use.  It`s interesting to me how even in a forum like this one, where we`ve mostly never met in person, our particular gifts are often revealed to each other. 

Of course just having an inborn strength is usually not enough; they usually need to be recognized and developed.  Some of my strengths I`m aware of, but I think there are others lying in wait for my further development.  One beautiful aspect of the cultivation practices that so many of us do here is that they tend to unearth our gifts, which we can then put to good use in the world.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yes, that gave me a belly laugh.  And yes, it is true that I go off topic easily but there are reasons why I do it and I'm not going to tell anyone these reasons.

Yes, that was actually an attempt to get back on topic but shortly after I posted, it seems that the original OP in the other thread has become neutralized and I haven't heard any more than Y'all have regarding CityHermit so I guess this thread can go wherever it wants to.

I would like to play with this concept of "purpose" though if anyone cares to play and question/challenge me.

I will challenge you with a song 

• Like 2

On 21/09/2018 at 2:35 AM, Jeff said:

Is there such a thing as a trustworthy cat... :D

It’s only smooth-talking New Age pretend guru cats that can’t be trusted.  Or so I’m told by a parakeet called Sid who lives near the local duck pond……

One day a cat arrived at the pond, bringing with it a murky, hematic odor of cynicism and unease.

`Hey there, you guys,' the cat said, maintaining a polite distance. The cat was gray, and sat itself smugly on a large gray rock. 'Boy, are you ever an attractive-looking bunch of ducks! Seriously, I'm really impressed. I never even suspected ducks came as good looking as you guys, or halfway near as intelligent, either. I guess that just goes to show me, doesn't it? I guess that just goes to show that I don't know that much about ducks after all.'

At first, the ducks glided off warily into the cold trembling pond, pretending not to be bothered, but never taking their eyes off the cat for one moment, either.

`I'll tell you something, guys,' the cat continued, in a voice as gentle and intrepid as desire. 'I just came from the city and you don't have any idea how lucky you've got it out here. What a nightmare. What a cesspool of smog and urine and crime and poverty they've constructed for themselves in the city, boy. Dog eat dog, cat eat cat, cars running everybody over without so much as a hi or a how-de-do. Bang crash roar crash bang – I've had enough city life to last me a few thousand centuries or so. Which brings me, of course, to why I've decided to move out here to the woods with you guys. Fresh air, sunshine, plenty of exercise. And of course a strictly monitored vegetarian diet from now on. I'm taking charge of my life, boy, and taking it on the road. Call me an outlaw, if you wish; call me a rebel. But I'm tired of living the life society tells me to live. I'm finally going to live my life for myself, thank you very much. Come hell or high water.'

While his smooth voice wetly purred, the cat licked his stubby, retractile paws and groomed his long twitchy whiskers, as if dressing himself for church. Then, giving the ducks a last fond look over his shoulder, he rested his head on the large gray rock and fell indefensi­bly asleep.

`Frankly, I don't think you ducks are exactly the brightest flock of fowl I've ever come across in my rude travels,' Sid said, perched high atop a buoyant willow. 'We're talking a fat gray cat now, and that means cat with a capital C, A, T, and I can't believe I'm having to actually spell it out to you guys. Cats are what you call notoriously fond of fowl, fowl being you ducks and meboth. We're like this cat's dream of a main meal, and I don't care what he says about wildlife solidarity, or karma, or pantheism, or even free will. That cat wants to eat us alive. He wants to chew our flesh and rip our blood vessels into stringy pasta. But he wants to play with us first. He wants to tease us and cut us and watch us die slow. That's because he's a cat, and we're what you call fowl. Am I going too fast for you guys or what?'

(From THE PARAKEET AND THE CAT by Scott Bradfield)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

I will challenge you with a song 

Yeah, but it's hard sometimes to know when is the right time for each purpose.

The Way is not always clear.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, but it's hard sometimes to know when is the right time for each purpose.

The Way is not always clear.

Yes, timing is essential !     But the more one increases knowledge , the more one understands  'timing'    .   Hopefully .

Kuringai-Emu-in-the-Sky-Images-courtesy-

When the big emu in the sky lines up with the emu in the rock ,  then  you can collect emu eggs.

When the brown and grey caterpillars all march head to tail, across the ground, then you can go and easy  catch plenty of bream at Yellow Rock .

dscf0882_thumb.jpg?w=400&h=300

... and when a woman looks like this ;

stressed-out-women.jpg

... time to go to the pub and drink lots of beer .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CityHermit! said:

Thanks to all for your input. I think this was a good learning experience for many. It is the Autumnal Equinox today, happy Equinox.

There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven . 

(here, of course, its SPRING ! 

-and the fireflies are out and  more come out each night .   Pretty spectacular in my driveway / bamboo tunnel .   :) 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 11:47 AM, Marblehead said:

In remembrance of going off topic, and being perfectly all right with going off topic.

• Like 1

I didn't sign in for over a year. I did have a read every now and then, most of what I find interesting is in public sections anyway. Since that time it seems the mods were de-modded. So much for mod powers. It's too bad most of my posts that were in Off-Grid seem to be gone. I do save pages, so it's feasible to copy paste that back up. But, should I? I think its still over everyone's heads. That's an honest view so don't take it personally, just try evolve your understandings of politics instead.