CityHermit!

The identity-less and purposeless thread

Hey all. So it looks like I received a warning from s1va about that thread. I would like the admin and other mods to have a look and get a second opinion. I don't think I'm violating any terms of service in there and I have only been replying to others and not starting anything. I think s1va wants to take advantage of mod powers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CityHermit! said:

Hey all. So it looks like I received a warning from s1va about that thread. I would like the admin and other mods to have a look and get a second opinion. I don't think I'm violating any terms of service in there and I have only been replying to others and not starting anything. I think s1va wants to take advantage of mod powers. 

The direction and tone of posts were way off the OP. 

Warning a member is completely within the rights of a moderator to steer members and threads back on topic. 

If you'd like to discuss the importance or preference of in-person relationships over on-line relationships a new topic is in order.

• Like 2

I got involved in the derailment of that thread too.  At the same time, I thought that the OP had already received lots of good feedback reflecting a variety of viewpoints and didn`t see the turn the thead took as so bad.  

Usually when a person wants to end a certain line of discussion the most direct route is simply to walk away.  That can also be the hardest thing to do, at least in my experience.  Like many others, I like to get the last word.

In this instance, CityHermit got the warning to back off.  It never feels good to be warned but I think the mods might have equally warned any of us who were going on about the subject of the derailment.  Nobody wanted to back off.  

Perhaps there`s more to be said in response to the OP.  If so, the enforced cooling off in that thread is all to the good.  Another thread about the place of social media in our lives sounds to me like an excellent idea.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

Steering off the thread was not the only concern.  Sometimes other things like the direction, tone, disagreements, etc. do add up as in this case.  Not just disagreements, but incessant off-topic postings defending those disagreements with multiple others.  There are some 10 or 11 posts made by CityHermit! on that topic, in a short timeframe, not one addressing the topic or answering the questions by OP, all the while advising and telling others what to do.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CityHermit! said:

You've decided to take a private matter public.  And then make a public request of admin and mods to give a second opinion without any reference to the thread or comments as a link.   So are we to search the entire forum for your sake ?

I decided that was your intention and finally found it to review it... while on a work trip...  

A warning, as Karen suggests, is more a nudge to stay on topic, so not an accusation of a violation of any terms of service.

Simply solution: Stay on topic, regardless to how folks are responding to you.  You seemed to have missed several posts trying to get you to get back on topic.

My second opinion is s1va was patient to see if you would steer back on topic and issued the warning once it was clear you were not going to after several attempts by others to steer you.   You took a personal and defensive position then went to attack with this thread.

I think Marblehead expressed it well in the first reply. 

Of course there is some open exchange and drift in topics but I the simple action of a warning is not a personal affront and the need to publicly ask staff to provide a second opinions it has all been taken too personally.    On a forum, every voice has a place but realize the voice may carry some responsibility.    Thanks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dawei said:

the voice may carry some responsibility. 

"Will" carry some, if not all, responsibility.

We are the only one controlling our fingers on the keyboard.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, I must admit that I helped take the thread off topic.  But then, I had no disagreement with anyone.

In all my time at DBs I have never once taken a thread off topic with jokes, silly comments or attempts at childish humour.  Never once.  I have never disagreed with anyone about anything ever.  Never.  It's a fact. Definitely.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I never see the point in keeping a thread on topic , other than its a substitute for making a foggy claim that it is getting a bit snippy feeling to an extent or duration that really seems like enough already. And it may help to get those horns unlocked, do a fresh start.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Apech said:

In all my time at DBs I have never once taken a thread off topic with jokes, silly comments or attempts at childish humour.  Never once.  I have never disagreed with anyone about anything ever.  Never.  It's a fact. Definitely.

That`s why you are so universally loved.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

That`s why you are so universally loved.

Love flows naturally towards the spiritually gifted yet humble ones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Apech said:

You might have some work to do with that humble thing.

9 hours ago, Apech said:

I am warning you , please stay on the topic of people being off topic, thats the topic here !  So stop trying to take it off topic  !  :angry:

Oh wait .....   Did I just offtopically respond to an off topic comment  ?   What is the topic  anyway ?  :unsure:

( I am actually just randomly posting stuff , as  blathering my opinions somehow makes me feel more important and valid  )

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Apech said:

Its 6.56 am  ... ha   har !     ... I can sneak around and do stuff  ,  while all the other daobums in the rest of the world are asleep in their beds . 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Apech said:

Yeah, you definitely display an element of trickster spirit.

From Wikipedia.....

In mythology, and in the study of folklore and religion, a trickster is a character who exhibits a great degree of intellect or secret knowledge, and uses it to play tricks or otherwise disobey normal rules and conventional behaviour. Tricksters violate principles of social and natural order, playfully disrupting normal life and then re-establishing it on a new basis.

Tricksters can be cunning or foolish or both. The trickster openly questions and mocks authority. They are usually male characters, and are fond of breaking rules, boasting, and playing tricks on both humans and gods.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Yueya said:

Yeah, you definitely display an element of trickster spirit.

From Wikipedia.....

In mythology, and in the study of folklore and religion, a trickster is a character who exhibits a great degree of intellect or secret knowledge, and uses it to play tricks or otherwise disobey normal rules and conventional behaviour. Tricksters violate principles of social and natural order, playfully disrupting normal life and then re-establishing it on a new basis.

Tricksters can be cunning or foolish or both. The trickster openly questions and mocks authority. They are usually male characters, and are fond of breaking rules, boasting, and playing tricks on both humans and gods.

Not me!  Never. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, liminal_luke said:

Even your picture gives you away, Apech.  Does that look like a trustworthy cat to you?

Is there such a thing as a trustworthy cat... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Is there such a thing as a trustworthy cat... :D

Feline fidelity.

• Like 2

On 20/09/2018 at 7:01 AM, Kar3n said:

Its mid-afternoon to early evening in the States.

Okay.

So what time is it there in the middle of the night ?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Even your picture gives you away, Apech.  Does that look like a trustworthy cat to you?

I always thought that cat was  ......      wait !

let's turn this into a competition :

What is puss saying  ?

I'll start   ( with what I always thought he was saying, due to 'that look'  )

image.png.5a96bcc2611da907520a9193c20c2809.png

" What !   No gravy ?  " 

• Like 1