Selfgasm

Becoming a professional healer

Hey daobums, this is my first post on here

I am an 18 year old guy who is deep into meditation, Qi Gong, internal alchemy etc.

As I have finished school now I am at that point in my life in which I need to decide what I want to do.

As I have the possibility to study this is obviously a good chance  and a safe route to earn a living for later.

Unfortunately all these things  one can study don't mean anything to me as the only thing I really see my life worth investing for is becoming a healer and helping people that can not help themselves/have diseases that can not be treaten by modern medicine.

So my question is now, is this an achievable goal with which one is able to also earn a living or is it rather unlikely to become like this?

I know that the safe opportunity is probably to study something that at least interests me and what will get me a good job later and do my practices on top of that and then see where it goes. But then I think what if I only focus all my time on my Qi gong and meditation maybe also under the supervision of a teacher or master, wouldn't it very likely work out?

All this might seem a bit weird and childish but you know, I am just an 18 year old trying to find his way in life, so  I would be glad to hear a few opinions on this.

• Like 2

Hello, selfgasm, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome selfgasm,

I think that’s an honorable goal in life to have. Just follow your heart and your passions. 

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin 

• Thanks 1

Hi selfgasm.  Welcome.

Holistic healing is becoming more accepted and popular over the past twenty-thirty years.  Maybe look into that?

• Like 1

Hello...
Becoming a healer can take many years and a whole lot of work before you become effective enough to attract  enough patients to support yourself. If you are really good, word gets around. Of course, if you're not, word gets around too, lol.  There are a couple paths I can recommend.

One is to get trained as a physical therapist, a nurse, or a massage therapist. If you have some kind of degree (at least in the US), you can get a license that lets you lay hands on people legally... and that's a start. 

Acupuncture is another possibility, if you have enough money to do that training... and it is more energetically oriented, so might give you a better start toward becoming a true healer...

Alternatively, you can develop any other skill you have that will support you, do your energy/healing practice faithfully on the side, and then use that job/skill to support yourself through the long term training, study, and travel that will probably be required to develop your healing skills. 

Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Cheya's thinking that its a good to have such skills on the side, and have another profession to 'pay the rent'.  There's a catch 22 in the professional healing game.  It takes alot of money to be certified, and establishing a career can be difficult and hard to sustain.   Under guise of 'massage' and energy therapy.. a healer might be able to get worthwhile reputation. 

An old member Yamu/Michael Lomax was a teacher from the Stillness/Movement chigung healing tradition.  You can look up his words here http://www.qigongamerica.com/ I did a short seminar with him and learned alot. 

• Like 4

I've written a lot about this lately on the forum, just search through my recent posts.

I think the best thing would be for you to become an MD (if you live in the US). They have such a good income compared to anyone else, and even though it's Western medicine, it does work very well for some issues, and they're able to help people. Then you can take a course which is just a few hundred hours, and be able to practice acupuncture. You can still keep up a qigong and meditation routine all throughout school.

Student loan debt is high with that, but with their income you can pay it off faster than most people.

My other recent posts address other ideas.

• Like 2

Hi Selfgasm,

As you can see from the responses so far, the word healer covers a lot of territory.  You could take up massage therapy, acupuncture, nursing, or become a conventional medical doctor.  I`m not sure that one kind of practice is more healing than another; more than anything it`s the attitude you bring to your practice that will determine your effectiveness.

Whichever way you go, I think one often forgotten secret is not to neglect your own healing.  Just as you invest in education and training to learn a particular discipline, it`s equally if not more important to invest in yourself.  Your own sense of integration and wholeness well serve you will as you turn your attention to the needs of others.  Perhaps you`re already off to a good start with this with your energy practices and meditation.

LL

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heller is a poor, something dangerous job Because pain is mostly spiritual.
Spiritual pain is contagious.
The purpose of the exercise is to realize it.
First, you have to aim to study hard at school.
I hope to get a bed of roses

• Like 2

On 9/17/2018 at 12:39 AM, Selfgasm said:

So my question is now, is this an achievable goal with which one is able to also earn a living or is it rather unlikely to become like this?

The military has many options for this. With lots of opportunities to apply it real time.

Was an infantry field medic for some 10yrs before switching MOS's.

All branches have a medical Corps.  Civilian paramedic also a good gig .  In most cases just requiring an EMT certificate.

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 3

Hey thank you guys for all the responses.

Yeah probably studying something in this direction and besides that doing my practices in my free time seems to be the right way to go.

Unfortunately my graduation is slightly too bad for a convential md here in germany so I would have to wait to get a chance to study this which I don't really have the time to.

Maybe I try TCM (but its possible that I might run into problems with this  here in Germany also, as it is not that established).

I also have something like Biophysics in mind for researching and helping to develop further medical knowledge as now Quantumbiology and those things are more and more coming up.

Besides that I want to say wow this is such a wonderful welcome in a forum I have never experienced before. :)

I get welcomed and immediately get comments and responses for the things that are on my mind  in this stage of life right now.

21 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

May you enjoy your time here

I am pretty sure I will. ;)

Edited by Selfgasm

On 9/17/2018 at 12:39 AM, Selfgasm said:

Unfortunately all these things  one can study don't mean anything to me as the only thing I really see my life worth investing for is becoming a healer and helping people that can not help themselves/have diseases that can not be treaten by modern medicine.

What you have at this point in your life is time.   The nature of your question also means you have time...a hungry person does not ask what to do,,,they do....its self evident.  

The first rule to helping others is first to be able to  understand and help ones self.

The most basic, fundamental way to do this  is by staying alive.

The role of a healer is to help people help themselves if they can not help themselves there really is not much that can be done for them....no matter what approach is used.

a priest, monk or spiritual leader are all healers, 

none of which requires anything other then a time investment and passion.

you have the time,,,do you have the passion.

• Like 1