jinatot

Qigong Beginner questions

Greetings fellow daoists

so i have been practicing qigong for a week now and i think i have been sensing a bit of progress but as a beginner as I am(and self-taught too), there are just minor questions that is bothering me that just have to be answered.

1. Is it okay to practice qigong for the whole day? excluding the time for sleep and eating of course.

2. sometimes when I do abdominal breathing there are gurgling sounds, what are those?

3. sometimes when I do breathing exercises, my inhalation makes whistling sounds and my nose feels heavy or numb, am I overdoing it or is it ok?

4. do i need to do abdominal breathing when I am doing a dynamic qigong(if it is called this way)? I can't seem to do this when I'm putting my hands up(e.g. lifting the sky).

5. It seems I am more active and sensitive(to qi) at night than in daytime, is there a problem with this? any other thoughts for this matter?

6. any solutions for nasal congestion? the other part of my nose seems blocked while the other is doing okay. this only happens sometimes.

7. I am doing breathing exercises lying down, does that makes difference?

8. do I exhale in my mouth or in my nose? based on articles ive read and videos i watched there are those exhaling in the nose and there are those that do it in their mouth, or there are specific exercises for those?

9. As a beginner, i can only sense qi mostly in my palms using la qi(the one where you rub your hands). does this work in other body parts too or are there any other technique similar to this for other body parts?

opinions are greatly appreciated

Edited by jinatot
  • Like 2

1. Is it okay to practice qigong for the whole day? excluding the time for sleep and eating of course.  

- You may do as you like, I recommend Exercise regularly and you’ll feel good about yourself. 

2. sometimes when I do abdominal breathing there are gurgling sounds, what are those?

- the sound of ((falling, running)) water ,

It's ok. There sounds may dissipate after a short period of time.

3. sometimes when I do breathing exercises, my inhalation makes whistling sounds and my nose feels heavy or numb, am I overdoing it or is it ok?

-it's ok but Don't hold your breath long time.

4. do i need to do abdominal breathing when I am doing a dynamic qigong(if it is called this way)? I can't seem to do this when I'm putting my hands up(e.g. lifting the sky).

- You ignored the breathing and Focus on the 丹(前七後三)

5. It seems I am more active and sensitive(to qi) at night than in daytime, is there a problem with this? any other thoughts for this matter?

- It's a common phenomenon in groups of sensitive(to qi),We have something to do with muscle relaxation

6. any solutions for nasal congestion? the other part of my nose seems blocked while the other is doing okay. this only happens sometimes.

-You need spicy food. For example, garlic, red pepper, .. issues concerning the large intestine

and do not eat much, vegetables is a choice for healthy living. 

-breathing exercises lying down is very good If you can hold back your sleep,

8. do I exhale in my mouth or in my nose? based on articles ive read and videos i watched there are those exhaling in the nose and there are those that do it in their mouth, or there are specific exercises for those?

- You should only breathe through in your nose.

9. As a beginner, i can only sense qi mostly in my palms using la qi(the one where you rub your hands). does this work in other body parts too or are there any other technique similar to this for other body parts?

-It's first time. Later, You can feel it in foot(湧泉), the crown[top] of the head(百會), the skin's pores,  the internal part of the body.
yang(陽) is the ultimate Advance.

Thanks.

Edited by dosa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, dosa said:

- You ignored the breathing and Focus on the 丹(前七後三)

Yes, usually better to just always be totally relaxed yet full in the abs. 

Welcome to TDB, jinatot!

Hi dosa,
丹 is as in 丹田 = "dantian"?

What does 前七後三 meaning? "Seven in front, three in the back"?

loves,

ninny

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

thanks for the answers.

another question, can i practice another set of qigong, say more than 3 different sets of qigong. will it conflict with each other and have detrimental effect on my body?

They are much alike in character. 
So I think Don't have detrimental effect on your body
It's just that Don't breath too long on the meditation.
and Don't look any light or bodhisattvas or Buddha or God or Jesus with the inner world..

Edited by dosa
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dosa said:

Don't look any light or bodhisattvas or Buddha or God or Jesus with the inner world..

I don't understand this part. Is this inner world comes along with qigong when I practice this art long enough? If ever I encountered this inner world what I am supposed to look for? I am not really a devout and religious person though I am a baptized catholic maybe it helps.

another question. When I relax my body and try to feel the qi, the tingling feelings in my fingers has become itchy sensations, it has become irritating but not really unbearable. is this the natural progression or did I do something wrong in my practice? btw I practice some qigong exercises from ba Duan Jin but not all and some standing qigong.

Edited by jinatot

15 hours ago, jinatot said:

I don't understand this part. Is this inner world comes along with qigong when I practice this art long enough? If ever I encountered this inner world what I am supposed to look for? I am not really a devout and religious person though I am a baptized catholic maybe it helps.

another question. When I relax my body and try to feel the qi, the tingling feelings in my fingers has become itchy sensations, it has become irritating but not really unbearable. is this the natural progression or did I do something wrong in my practice? btw I practice some qigong exercises from ba Duan Jin but not all and some standing qigong.

The qigong makes your body wake up and be shine brightly.
So, You can be easily attacked from spiritual beings because of your body bright light
Invisible Beings is spiritual beings, alive and living with us. 
Anyway, Finish the race at all events

The healing crisis is a natural part of the body’s reorganisation.
That's a good feeling

tumblr_peuq9bJVg41rpu8e5o1_500.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

attacks from spiritual beings? I am not familiar with this things, what should I do if ever i get attacked with this beings? I don't know someone who can help me regarding this matter as I am only learning by myself.

13 hours ago, jinatot said:

attacks from spiritual beings? I am not familiar with this things, what should I do if ever i get attacked with this beings? I don't know someone who can help me regarding this matter as I am only learning by myself.

You don't have to cross the bridge before you come to it.
I didn't wanna worry you prematurely.
It's just that There are a few things I'm concerned about, that's all 

You ain't never gonna find someone to heal your pain.

Therefore, Watch your step so as not to slip.

In an emergency, I can help you by distance if you'll let me.  It's free

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2018 at 7:26 AM, dosa said:

You don't have to cross the bridge before you come to it.
I didn't wanna worry you prematurely.
It's just that There are a few things I'm concerned about, that's all 

You ain't never gonna find someone to heal your pain.

Therefore, Watch your step so as not to slip.

In an emergency, I can help you by distance if you'll let me.  It's free

Is the pain you are talking about along the lines of emotional instabilities?

Anyway, thanks for your concern and answers so far, it has been very helpful.

another question, after sensing qi in my palms(more apparent in my fingertips) and to some extent, in my feet, this time I feel it at the back of my head/ behind the ears, is this good? I think I read somewhere in the internet it is dangerous or at least not until I am proficient, to meddle in sensitive areas like neck, head and groin areas. 

Another thing, do I consider my dan tian as something that I will feel naturally after practicing for enough time (just like when I felt qi in my palms then feet then head an so on, maybe after I feel the qi in my spine then towards my energy center) or will I need to practice visualizing it separately even when I still haven't yet feel the qi in my whole body?

I can't seem to visualize it gathering qi when I am breathing just like what I have been reading and watching because maybe I am practicing qigong in wrong order.

speaking of order, sensing the qi is the first step, i understand that much at least according to what I have read, then what is the most advisable second step for a total beginner like me? 

Edited by jinatot

On 9/16/2018 at 3:47 AM, jinatot said:

Greetings fellow daoists

2. sometimes when I do abdominal breathing there are gurgling sounds, what are those?  it promotes proper organ function, whether its zang organs or fu organs...you know what peristalsis is, yes? 

3. sometimes when I do breathing exercises, my inhalation makes whistling sounds and my nose feels heavy or numb, am I overdoing it or is it ok?  the onus should be on the diaphragm and gut, not the nose.  imagine a big sail with a rope attached, and you're pulling on it.  pull like that, gently for meditative and forcefully for something like tummo.  you dont sniff for breathing, you "work the bellows."  the nose, sinuses, airways - that's where the sense nerves derive your normal feeling of breathing.  let go of those areas, deny the nerves the turbulent air that excites them - then meditation will begin to get quiet.

4. do i need to do abdominal breathing when I am doing a dynamic qigong(if it is called this way)? I can't seem to do this when I'm putting my hands up(e.g. lifting the sky).  focus on the movements first so that you have them down correctly, then add in breath. 

6. any solutions for nasal congestion? the other part of my nose seems blocked while the other is doing okay. this only happens sometimes.  what I described above, once energetic efficiency happens sufficiently, they'll empty easier.  I havent caught a cold or seasonal allergies since 2007.

7. I am doing breathing exercises lying down, does that makes difference? if youre meditating, better off sitting up, but there's nothing wrong with working on the breath while lying down.  a good one I would use for lying down, imagine your spine is a train track.  now take a train car, the engine car, and put it on the track at the solar plexus.  slowly drive down the track until it gets to the pelvic bone (inhale) and then slowly reverse it to its starting position (exhale.)  let that move the air and the airways themselves remain totally slack.  if you want to find out how loud your breath really is, draw a bath, lie back, and let the water against the eardrums.  now see how loud your breath is, and perhaps figure out how to make it silent while there in the bath.  take what you learn into practice.  earplugs can serve a similar function, but of course the feedback is much louder in the bathtub.

8. do I exhale in my mouth or in my nose? based on articles ive read and videos i watched there are those exhaling in the nose and there are those that do it in their mouth, or there are specific exercises for those? for meditative breath, in through the nose, out through the nose - but dont assist with the nose.  dont sniff the air, dont inhale in a way that pulls air into the sinuses.  it may feel weird breathing like this at first, and dont sacrifice a deep breath for a quieter one.  70% full is a proper amount, too much past that and the lungs begin to require energy to hold the air - always shoot for efficient methods. 

9. As a beginner, i can only sense qi mostly in my palms using la qi(the one where you rub your hands). does this work in other body parts too or are there any other technique similar to this for other body parts? since its fall time, try laogung breathing with fire now.  let the fire press against the laogung points along with the inhale, relax while exhaling.  press your finger, or dig your fingernail into the laogung, and recreate that feeling, use the heat to press at it along with the breath.  then the laogung will "open"=(bandwidth upgrade.) yes, organs and nerve plexuses and body parts have their own 'flavors'.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:16 AM, Nintendao said:

Yes, usually better to just always be totally relaxed yet full in the abs. 

Welcome to TDB, jinatot!

Hi dosa,
丹 is as in 丹田 = "dantian"?

What does 前七後三 meaning? "Seven in front, three in the back"?

loves,

ninny

there's three in the front and seven behind the lower dantien centerpoint

On 9/20/2018 at 9:40 AM, jinatot said:

dont pay attention to the scenery, as "bandwidth upgrades" build and take place, various feelings will happen.  especially in the beginning, best to disregard thoughts, feelings, emotions, visitors, etc and just focus on the training.  religion is a distraction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, jinatot said:

Is the pain you are talking about along the lines of emotional instabilities?

Anyway, thanks for your concern and answers so far, it has been very helpful.

another question, after sensing qi in my palms(more apparent in my fingertips) and to some extent, in my feet, this time I feel it at the back of my head/ behind the ears, is this good? I think I read somewhere in the internet it is dangerous or at least not until I am proficient, to meddle in sensitive areas like neck, head and groin areas. 

Another thing, do I consider my dan tian as something that I will feel naturally after practicing for enough time (just like when I felt qi in my palms then feet then head an so on, maybe after I feel the qi in my spine then towards my energy center) or will I need to practice visualizing it separately even when I still haven't yet feel the qi in my whole body?

I can't seem to visualize it gathering qi when I am breathing just like what I have been reading and watching because maybe I am practicing qigong in wrong order.

speaking of order, sensing the qi is the first step, i understand that much at least according to what I have read, then what is the most advisable second step for a total beginner like me? 

See link

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/47731-i-will-write-a-ancient-novel-or-a-history-of-sundo仙道-from-now-on/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, joeblast said:

since its fall time, try laogung breathing with fire now.  let the fire press against the laogung points along with the inhale, relax while exhaling.  press your finger, or dig your fingernail into the laogung, and recreate that feeling, use the heat to press at it along with the breath.  then the laogung will "open"=(bandwidth upgrade.) yes, organs and nerve plexuses and body parts have their own 'flavors'.

are you talking about fall season?so is there is an appropriate breathing for every season?

unfortunately, there is no autumn where I live. Here, the rainy season will end soon and is now approaching cold season, is there an appropriate qigong anyone can suggest?

anyway thanks for your different output, I am now beginning to understand a little bit more and I hope everyone can give their answers for beginners like me.

On 9/16/2018 at 8:47 AM, jinatot said:

Greetings fellow daoists

so i have been practicing qigong for a week now and i think i have been sensing a bit of progress but as a beginner as I am(and self-taught too), there are just minor questions that is bothering me that just have to be answered.

Don't overdo it at first - keep it light hearted and enjoyable - if you can do this all day fair enough.

2. sometimes when I do abdominal breathing there are gurgling sounds, what are those?

Your tummy presumably :) - just carry on.

Try to keep breath gentle, smooth and even - but if your nasal passages are partly blocked just carry on don't worry about it.

Not necessarily some qi gong is natural breathing - just follow what you have been taught.

Mental focus is more internalised at night which might be the reason.  But as ever just continue with qi gong and don't over analyse any experiences you have - just note them and carry on.

Things like this should improve over time.

No either sitting or lying down is ok - but meditation is better sitting.

Nose for qi gong - some martial arts its mouth - exception is six healing sounds of course.

9. As a beginner, i can only sense qi mostly in my palms using la qi(the one where you rub your hands). does this work in other body parts too or are there any other technique similar to this for other body parts?

Its a good start - just accept it for now and carry on.

Another set of answers to add to your confusion :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jinatot said:

are you talking about fall season?so is there is an appropriate breathing for every season?

unfortunately, there is no autumn where I live. Here, the rainy season will end soon and is now approaching cold season, is there an appropriate qigong anyone can suggest?

anyway thanks for your different output, I am now beginning to understand a little bit more and I hope everyone can give their answers for beginners like me.

since its fall time, and there's a higher likelihood of there being a fire lit B)

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2018 at 7:07 PM, Apech said:

Another set of answers to add to your confusion :)

It didn't at all, opinions from different practicioners are deeply appreciated. 

Edited by jinatot
  • Like 1

Another question, in your practice, how much time have you spent sensing the qi in your whole body? It is not that I am impatient with results, I plan to do qigong by habit and make it a lifestyle regardless of time spent. It is just that I want to know how I do well and track my current progress. 

1 hour ago, jinatot said:

Another question, in your practice, how much time have you spent sensing the qi in your whole body? It is not that I am impatient with results, I plan to do qigong by habit and make it a lifestyle regardless of time spent. It is just that I want to know how I do well and track my current progress. 

I'm not sure what qigong practice you are doing (I don't think you have told us) but it is important to focus first on formally learning the movements and so on and repeating them.  Then after the results begin to happen.  During this if you allow yourself to focus on the result/experiences such as tingling/heat/cold or whatever then your mind will lead you away from the process that the qigong is involving.  So if you feel qi just note it and carry on.  When you have advanced in the 'gong' side of the practice then the qi movement and so on becomes the point and if you can trigger the right process within yourself you may even be able to dispense with formal exercises.

It's worth pointing out I think that there is perception of qi itself and also there are body/mind reactions - everything from muscle twitches to full blown emotional release - most of which are about obstructions and blockages.  In the first stages the task is to cultivate the three treasures and remove obstructions and free up blockages so the qi can flow - or rather remove them through qi flow.

If you want to feel qi in the whole body the best way is through breathing exercises - normal, abdominal and reverse abdominal etc. - I don't think there is any desired optimum time to spent on this - I think its a matter of personal predilection and experiment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am now trying to practice full set of ba duan jin (since it is the most numerous turorials I have found in internet). By now I have my own personal physical form that I am comfortable doing, but as I have mentioned before I have trouble doing abdominal breathing when stretching. I am trying to experiment doing abdominal breathing while I am in relaxed state and complete the breathing up to the solar plexus and chest when moving. Will this hurt me in the long time? Until now, I have not heard of qigong breathing in the chest area, I only read abdominal breathing in qigong, not one mentioned full breathing up to upper lungs. 

Please enlightened me.

Edited by jinatot

38 minutes ago, jinatot said:

I am now trying to practice full set of ba duan jin (since it is the most numerous turorials I have found in internet). By now I have my own personal physical form that I am comfortable doing, but as I have mentioned before I have trouble doing abdominal breathing when stretching. I am trying to experiment doing abdominal breathing while I am in relaxed state and complete the breathing up to the solar plexus and chest when moving. Will this hurt me in the long time? Until now, I have not heard of qigong breathing in the chest area, I only read abdominal breathing in qigong, not one mentioned full breathing up to upper lungs. 

Please enlightened me.

Abdominal breathing is the usual term but is a bit of a misnomer - since your lungs which take in air are in your thorax and not your abdomen so it is impossible to breath air using your abdomen.  What is actually happening is that when you breathe in the diaphragm which separates the thoracic cavity from the abdomen pulls down causing the abdomen to swell slightly.  At the same time the free ribs at the bottom of your rib cage expand out sideways.  This 'massages' the abdomen and stimulates the LDT and the movement of qi.  I'm not sure what you mean by breathing up to the solar plexus.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jinatot said:

not one mentioned full breathing up to upper lungs. 

Do you mean when the breathing movement transfers up the back? There are many systems that do that, I believe Bruce Frantzis Energy Arts have a discount on that dvd right now, but there are many teaching this. 

2 hours ago, jinatot said:

Please enlightened me.

No 😁

• Thanks 1

I mean I initially fill my lower lungs with air in my relaxed state and then slowly breath until the upper part becomes full too.

I am not very good at explanation, so..