Sign in to follow this  
anshino23

Book Recommendations

Hi!

I recently finished reading The Master Key by Robert Peng, and the stories with Peng's training with his master were truly amazing. I can recommend reading the book just for the first four chapters and also the last part of the book. Beautiful book. 

Anyway to my question. I've already read and enjoyed books like: 

• Life of Milarepa
  • Opening the Dragon Gate
  • Autobiography of a Yogi
  • A Peaceful Warrior
  • The Magus of Java

So I would like to ask if any of you have read other books that have similar stories of student-master relationships and found inspiring; or simply books that detail the inner journey of a disciple on his or hers way to enlightenment?

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by anshino23

Crooked Cucumber by David Chadwick. The story of Zen master Shunryu Suzuki.

Bones of the Master by George Crane. Ch'an master Tsung Tsai's incredible journey.

Empty Cloud. The Autobiography of Ch'an master Xuyun.

• Like 2

Right now I’m reading Sri M “Apprenticed to a Himalayan Master”. It’s similar to Autobiography of a Yogi. 

3 hours ago, lifeforce said:

Crooked Cucumber by David Chadwick. The story of Zen master Shunryu Suzuki.

Bones of the Master by George Crane. Ch'an master Tsung Tsai's incredible journey.

Empty Cloud. The Autobiography of Ch'an master Xuyun.

Empty cloud sounds great. I’ve always liked his writings. 

Read the following, then give a second thought whether you need to read any books at all:

Poem of the butterflies (Attar of Nishapur)

The people of this world are like the three butterflies in front of a candle's flame.

The first one went closer and said, 

"I know about love"

The second one touched the flame lightly with his wings and said, 

"I know how love's fire can burn"

The third one threw himself into the heart of the flame and was consumed.

"He alone knows what true love is."

Source

One will learn nothing about reading about other people's experiences. Wisdom and self-realisation only come through a lot of effort and heaps of practice. ;) 

@Gerard: Of course. That's a given. That doesn't mean that one cannot enjoy beautiful works of art or inspirational books that point to the highest wisdom - that which lies within us. Practice always takes precedence. But thank you for sharing that poem, it is beautiful.

You can read Jim and the Ants at http://guidingqi.com

Jim did an amazing long distance healing on my mom while he talked to me on the phone for 2 hours. My mom was asleep upstairs - in 2013 - and Jim was telling me how he can see in 4 directions at the same time - out of his skull. And he goes - "you can train to do this!" And then after 2 hours he goes, "I've been having a conversation with your mom while we've been talking." I never noticed him making any breaks in our conversation or anything but I knew he was healing my mom while she was asleep.  So I didn't say anything to him or her about it. Then the next morning - my sister was shocked to find my mom cooking her own breakfast for the first time in months. Then the next morning my mom walked a half mile to get the mail - just cuz she wanted to. Before this - my mom had barely been able to walk - and with great difficult could barely go up the stairs. So now she had so much energy she didn't know what to do with it - and so then her friends began asking her what had happened. My mom said she had no idea but now she had so much energy! So after a week went by and my mom was still completely healed then I told her what happened and she said, "I don't know what else it could have been, it must have been Jim!" Then when I talked to Jim again at the end of the week he confirmed he had to send energy to my mom several times (more than his previous "free" practice healings at the Free Fridays my mom had gone to twice). So also Jim said it was much easier to heal my mom while she was asleep so her mind would not get in the way.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this