Sign in to follow this  
Wun Yuen Gong

Does physical exercises cultivate chi?

Hello,

What do you feel about physcial exercises, do you feel that it cultivates chi or only meditation or chi kung?

Here is some examples of physcial exercises:

1 Kung fu (external fast forms, wushu, karate kata etc)

2 Body building

3 sprints

4 Grappling, wrestling

5 Surfing

6 bike

These are just cardio mixed strength workouts, do you think this can cultivate energy or do you think only seated still will only cultivate it?

WYG

I am thinking of doing Xingyi which is quite physical and I believe does cultivate qi. Lot's of lower tan tien power.

I need to stay tight with MA in case you ever come to the States so we can spar ;)

There is no question that physical exercise cultivates qi as long as it does not cross the threshold of injuring the body (in which case it still cultivates, but then also must repair and thus depletes).

Traditional Chinese Martial Arts are great (and well known for this). Xingyiquan is the quickest way to build energy with Martial Arts. Baguazhang and T'aijiquan are better for circulating what you build with Xingyiquan (necessary if you wish to utilize what you build).

There is no question that physical exercise cultivates qi as long as it does not cross the threshold of injuring the body (in which case it still cultivates, but then also must repair and thus depletes).

Traditional Chinese Martial Arts are great (and well known for this). Xingyiquan is the quickest way to build energy with Martial Arts. Baguazhang and T'aijiquan are better for circulating what you build with Xingyiquan (necessary if you wish to utilize what you build).

Cool

No, i actually hated Xingyiquan at first.

i say it builds more because i feel a huge boost of Yang qi whenever i practice Xingyiquan. As such, i have taken to practicing it first to warm up, then circulating with T'aijiquan, then moving on to Baguazhang to segway into other, more numerous form work.

If i only have time for limited work, then i do the three popular Nei Jia in the aforementioned order. i usually feel as much of a Yang qi boost from Xingyi as i do from the equivalent time engaged in sex (unless over a couple of hours... but alas i hardly have the time for such lengthy bouts of sex these days).

So no, no pro-Xingyi bias with me. i actually found it boring when i started. Over time, as internal sensitivity developed i came to appreciate the art as more than just the third of Sun, Lu-T'ang's "Top Three" haha

As for "how," this is because of the form of the elements (and the animals based on an element root), and how these relate to the meridians.

Edited by Hern Heng

Oh CAMERON, thats like throwing out burly for the sharks man, this might just come true?! ;)

heheh Hope your levitation is up to par?? :D

:rolleyes:

You all know my feelings about qi (well not really, but I WILL write post about it soon).

But re: martial arts. if you don't get it into your body, you're just talking about it. That means hours and hours of practice. Just like everything.

I have a theory that low-intensity activity like walking or Taijiquan activates qi. This is why you don't feel tired after walking.

Whereas high-intensity activity also activates it...but then exhausts it as well. Which is why you feel tired after a hard workout.

So in the end, you either end up with a net gain or loss of qi. And if it was too strenuous, it's probably a net loss.

So, this may be one reason why most Taoist internal arts stay in slow-mo with no extended intense activity. And also why walking is my favorite exercise these days.. :)

Edited by vortex

"As for "how," this is because of the form of the elements (and the animals based on an element root), and how these relate to the meridians."

What? Meridians? This is no help at all. Forget about the meridians, xingyi is a martial art.

Buddy,

What would you call the feeling of fullness, tingling, energy etc one sometimes experiences in the lower abdomen during qigong or IMA practice?

Isn't this feeling of fullness in the lower abdomen, tingling, heat etc, qi?

Or do you consider it something else?

There just seems to be a tangible feeling one can experience in the lower abdomen with training(whether meditation or IMA).

Cam

"This is why you don't feel tired after walking."

Come on. When I had cancer waking made me extremely tired. Even no, with sciatica it does, because my muscles have to compensate. No need to talk about qi here.

Cam,

It's late. I'll try to address this tomorrow when I talk about qi.

Heng,

Thanks i understand thats your arts you practice and makes sense for the Yang Qi compared to the 2 others!

What about other sports or fitness type training non martial or internal, just western type fitness?

WYG

Cam,

Money wise i cant afford it wife and kid plus bills, but if you want to you can make the plane trip out here to see me.

No chi kung just fighting is fine with me, unless Max runs his seminar here and you make the trip over and i get to see MAX and fight you? :D

That sounds better for me!!

WYG

"This is why you don't feel tired after walking."

Come on. When I had cancer waking made me extremely tired. Even no, with sciatica it does, because my muscles have to compensate. No need to talk about qi here.

C'mon - it's relative.

Cancer alone is going to drain your qi, as well as other health ailments. Not the walking itself, per se.

C'mon,

We have to establish that qi exists first. Chemo tires you out. Muscles having to compensate tires you out. I'm not seeing qi in there.

Heng,

Thanks i understand thats your arts you practice and makes sense for the Yang Qi compared to the 2 others!

What about other sports or fitness type training non martial or internal, just western type fitness?

WYG

Cam,

Money wise i cant afford it wife and kid plus bills, but if you want to you can make the plane trip out here to see me.

No chi kung just fighting is fine with me, unless Max runs his seminar here and you make the trip over and i get to see MAX and fight you? :D

That sounds better for me!!

WYG

Sorry bro, no plans to visit Australia any time soon. Keep training though, I don't want it to be too easy for me when we meet ;)

HAHAHAHA okay Cameron, ill keep training mate dont worry im sure ill make you work and you know you are definetly in a fight. :lol: Do we sign waivers for injuries or death, can Tao ums sponsor us for the trip?;)

If my students in N.Y bring me over for a worshop do you think you can fly to N.Y, ill have a video we can youtube it? :D

Anyway back to the main topic!!! :)

Damn it Mal, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!! :o

Hows your TongLong? by the way "Gung Hei Fut Choi" happy new year to you all!

C'mon,

We have to establish that qi exists first.

Ok, that's a separate question then - and I don't think one that can be "proven" to you on a messageboard, really.

As for health problems - if half your energy is already diverted to start with, it stands to reason that walking may then be even too strenuous for you. So, of course it's all relative. But for the majority of people out there, it's not too strenuous.

Edited by vortex

Sure! Martial Arts are just traditionally employed because they are Yang in intent in the first place. You get a boost of yang qi when you competitively spar.

Going to the gym and having a good quality protein shake after wards will boost yang qi as well... just in a different way (a way that alchemaically produces muscle change, not as much tendon change, and certainly not as much brain cell and bone marrow change). Still, there are many things that boosted qi can be cultivated to do; marrow, brain, tendons, muscles, stored qi in dan t'ien, etc... The first four primarily involve techniques. The last involves meditation.

Hern,

Thanks for your replies mate!

Do you think doing cardio, weights (yang qi) type training should be balanced with meditation or chi kung or chi kung, med then yang qi training or does it matter?

cheers

WYG

You Gotta move,everyday.

walk hard every day with my dog up and down hills

climb trees up to seven meters and prune hardwoods for agroforestry

surf two to three times a week for up to two to three hours at a time

do tai chi yang style long form

do various forms of qi gong

meditate most days

With out a doubt exercise is essential for qi or energy or whatever you want to call it.

Most people today me included don't get enough exercise,on a whole we in western stlye lifes are far,far to inactive and we spend far far to much time indoors.This is especially true for our poor children who are essentially incarcerated in schools were the first thing they are taught is poor sitting habits.

Unless you are growing your own food or strictly eating organic grown food only we are already putting our systems understress.

If you have almalgam fillings in your mouth you are putting your system understress.Mercury makes up to 50 percent of amalgam fillings and is the most toxic natural element to humans.Yet we insist on sticking in our faces inches from our brains.

When I walk around the streets of the city I 'Am AMAZED how unfit the general population is.Poor posture,clouded eyes,bad breath,bad smell,overweight,lack of muscle tone etc.All of this directly related to a lack of exercise,poor or incorrect diet,lack of fresh air and chemical poisoning.

To live in a western stlye country requires a concentrated and consisted effort to maintain ones health.Thank heavens we have access to the various martial arts form to help us.

On a personnel note I have found surfing to be the most beneficial form of exercise.I could rave on for hours about the total immersion of senses and the solid physical work out surfing gives not to mention the all over tingly feeling when you get out.

Tai chi and qi gong help to enhance my balance,agility and breath which help support my prunning work and surfing.

This year I hope to study bjj time and responsabilities permitting.

After the age of forty its all about maintanence. The water has to keep flowing.

That felt good

WYG and Cameron I volunteer my services as an impartial referee,could even be coerced into building a octagon.

Anyone want to put their hand up for announcer. :)

Hern,

Thanks for your replies mate!

Do you think doing cardio, weights (yang qi) type training should be balanced with meditation or chi kung or chi kung, med then yang qi training or does it matter?

cheers

WYG

Good to start out early in the morning, preferably at sun rise when your yang qi naturally is high (ala morning erection). Work out without urinating, until the erection has naturally gone down and the "charge" in the urine is worked through the body.

Usually do most yang work outs during the day, not past 9ish. It's all relative to the individual and climate though. Full moons are a good time to do more yang work.

Meditate mildly (i.e. don't necessarily focus most of your time), after workouts throughout the day (or one). Work outs can be broken up, and not some 2 hour long weight lifting session. You body capitalizes off the work out best when it is about an hour long if it is intensive to the muscles. Feed your body (carbohydrates and protein), right after the work out and do mild meditation.

Night time is best for more intensive meditation practices (in part because you are naturally in a more inward, Yin state). Don't wait until you are sleepy though. Meditate when it is night but your mind is still in an active state.

Sign in to follow this