Sign in to follow this  
John_H

Rank beginner: Tai Chi or Qigong?

Greetings,

Any suggestions on which one to start with?

I’m 54, have let myself go health and fitness wise for the last 15 years, and I’m looking at Tai Chi or Qigong mostly to that end. Based on what I’ve run across so far, it seems that a lot of people are into both, but is there any particular reasons or benefits to start with one or the other?

Thanks,

JohnH

• Like 3

Hello, John_H, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome John,

Both are very similar. You can think of Tai Chi as a longer, more involved set of Qigong (though there’s a bit more to it than that). Regarding health, both will be beneficial. Search around on the forum and you’ll find lots of info on both. Welcome and enjoy 😊

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin 

• Like 1

Hi John.  Welcome.

Yes, as Fa Xin mentioned, anything to get you off your butt and moving the various parts of your body will help.  Either of the two will do that job.  I do Tai Chi when I'm not too lazy to do it.

• Like 1

From my own personal experience,

I've found that my Tai-Chi practice have taken care of my health better than any qi-gong ever did.

Partly this is so, because Tai-Chi is more of a full package, while qi-gong is sort of a spread.

Depending on the qi-gong system, you might get the equivalent of Tai-Chi or you may not.

On the flipside, it is better to have some simple qi-gong you actually do,

than a Tai-Chi practice that was too complicated, that you abandon.

So yeah it depends a lot, so you need to use your own judgement about your situation and available resources.

• Like 3

Do some Tai Chi, remove tensions from body while doing slow movements and deep breathing, few months and you will see some improvements in health and energy levels. Need regular practice to keep positive effect.

• Like 2

I would say you would be better off practicing some type of Qi Gong.

The goal and purpose of the practice is very straightforward.

This cannot be said of taiji which has been turned into a type of chi gong by  modern practitioners. I say this only as an observation as a long time practitioner of the art

Unless you have some clarity  which a beginner or novice would not have.

One will be constantly exposed to and confused by those who claim taiji as both.

An example that is similar to taiji has the benefits of Qigong with some nice movement patterns

I don't practice this myself my own life path was set a little different very long ago.  I do know people who practice it and have met the teacher shown in the video.

Hope it helps you to understand what you're looking for

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me, it was/is a matter of what works. I tried Way of Energy's Zhan zhuang which was hard as hell. Next was Flying Phoenix for 5-60min per day for 2 months before I could no longer do the breathing exercises due to mental block /stress issues...and was still stressed. I tried SFQ but could not do the visualizations. Then I found Energy Gates Qigong and could do the moving forms a lot easier than the static forms. When I finally did some Tai Chi, I simply found that I could practice it longer and easier than most qigong systems, so in the end my body decided for me.

Edited by searcher7977
grammar n stuff
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this