Sign in to follow this  
Apech

More on Brexit

Europe has always been a kind of testing ground for the best form of rulership.  If you have the patience you can see how the current nation states developed out of warring Feudal kingships over hundreds of years by watching the video below.  Each country developed its own style, culture and values.  The EU is a kind pasted on top set of received values - largely French/German.  For centuries the British foreign policy was to not allow any one culture dominate beit Napolean, Hitler or any one else.  Even in the Roman period we were a fringe nation.  I think this is really why instinctively the UK does not belong in the EU.

• Like 3

This is a strange change in your viewpoint Apech. One could almost believe that you are at last seeing a bit of sense but still I have my doubts.

2 hours ago, Chang said:

This is a strange change in your viewpoint Apech. One could almost believe that you are at last seeing a bit of sense but still I have my doubts.

It's always a pleasure to hear from you, Chang.

• Haha 2

The European Union is nothing more nor less than a nightmare and i am all too well aware that even when we have finally shaken ourselves free from its shackles (no easy task with drips like Theresa May as prime Minister) it will still remain couchant on our doorstep.

I watched Last Night of the Proms last weekend and its spectacle was rather spoiled by the sight of numerous buffoons in the crowd waving EU flags and sporting EU berets. Apparently Fifth Columnists were handing them out to willing promenaders for free. I consoled myself with the thought that the Proms has long been the haunt of upper middle class trendy lefties and Liberals.

Rest assured that my disappointment with the Proms has more than been made up for with Apech finally starting to show the rudiments of common sense. There may even be hope for Buck Sternbach though I rather doubt it, his arguments still having more holes than a Swiss cheese.

The OP video has a couple of misinformations and misleading parts in it. The most ridiculous one being his claim about France having a guilty until proven innocent system and how that supposedly comes from the Napoleonic code and it being that way since Bonaparte. Thats wrong on so many levels.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alfheim said:

The OP video has a couple of misinformations and misleading parts in it. The most ridiculous one being his claim about France having a guilty until proven innocent system and how that supposedly comes from the Napoleonic code and it being that way since Bonaparte. Thats wrong on so many levels.

I agree the Napoleonic code does have the presumption of innocence in the penal code.  What do you think about their impression of the European parliament and how it functions?

23 hours ago, Chang said:

There may even be hope for Buck Sternbach

That's one thing for sure!

5b9d0c0719737_th(31).jpeg.b2fff521d13cd3cfdae4b92c9b25e339.jpeg

though I rather doubt it, his arguments still having more holes than a Swiss cheese.

You must be talking about a 'Tilsiter'.

tilsiter.jpg.8df2b0f5ddebe96956a01ddab8150feb.jpg

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

Britain's wealth.  If you are sceptical about conspiracy theories ... here's one which isn't a theory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm still a little confused because the people voted to leave the EU.  The government (politicians) are trying to find a way to stay in it.  Aren't they disregarding the will of the people?

Britain could just establish its own trade agreements with the rest of the world instead of letting the EU make all the decisions for Britain.

Of course, here in the US Trump is having a heck of a time getting new trade agreements with the rest of the world so its not surprising that Britain would have the same problems.

I think I have made myself clear that I am against the EU as I consider it to be a part of the New World Order.

Ms. May appeared to be a little teed off.  And I didn't understand what she said about the EU wanting Britain to divide its country.  I obviously missed that part.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I'm still a little confused because the people voted to leave the EU.  The government (politicians) are trying to find a way to stay in it.  Aren't they disregarding the will of the people?

Britain could just establish its own trade agreements with the rest of the world instead of letting the EU make all the decisions for Britain.

Of course, here in the US Trump is having a heck of a time getting new trade agreements with the rest of the world so its not surprising that Britain would have the same problems.

I think I have made myself clear that I am against the EU as I consider it to be a part of the New World Order.

Ms. May appeared to be a little teed off.  And I didn't understand what she said about the EU wanting Britain to divide its country.  I obviously missed that part.

Part of Ireland (the North) is in the UK but the rest is not. The republic of Ireland is in the EU - so post Brexit there would have to be a border between Northern Ireland and the rest of ireland.  This is a problem they cannot solve as apart from everything the peace process which ended the fighting (the troubles) removed the border controls.  To put them back would disrupt the peace.

Personally I think the UK should just say we're not having a hard border - if the EU wants to put up a wall (physical or trade barrier) then thats up to them.  Goodbye - do your worst.  Something along those lines.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I thought the Northern Ireland problem was solved and the control of the territory was given back to the Irish.  So yes, I can see where that would present so problem for the EU.  Of course, if England gave all of Ireland back to the Irish the problem would be solved.

Or the UK could revert back to ancient times and dissolve the UK and become England again, allowing the other peoples to make their own choices.

I'm just glad that the USA isn't a member of the EU.

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

It was. It wielded its influence via its UK proxy vote, which is one of many reasons why most Europeans are, on mature reflection and having now seen the UK's stereotypical perfidious conduct, are content with the UK's decision to leave.

One European leader characterised the UK's attitude as opting into membership with opt outs and now wanting to opt out of membership with opt ins.

I guess that the eventual breakup of the UK will allow Scotland to rejoin while Irish reunification now seems inevitable.

☮️

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Apech said:

She forfeited that right by her actions and some British citizens seem to share that opinion[1] just as some Americans citizens seem to have no respect for Trump.

Perhaps respect is a two-way street?

[1] www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-brexit-rant-uk-eu-respect-adult-toddler-a8549081.html

☮️

Edited by Daemon

On 9/22/2018 at 10:59 AM, Marblehead said:

Thanks.  I thought the Northern Ireland problem was solved and the control of the territory was given back to the Irish.  So yes, I can see where that would present so problem for the EU.  Of course, if England gave all of Ireland back to the Irish the problem would be solved.

Or the UK could revert back to ancient times and dissolve the UK and become England again, allowing the other peoples to make their own choices.

Not really.  the Northern Irish are mostly unionist which means they want to be part of the UK - so 'giving back' this territory would be against the wish of the people in that region.

The act of union with Scotland was voluntary and not the product of invasion or takeover - and a referendum has been held on this in which a majority voted to remain in the UK..  The first Prince of Wales was in 1301.  Both Scotland an Wales have devolved Parliaments where they make their own decisions as well as MPs at Westminster (so they have the best of both worlds).  England massively subsidises both these regions over and above the investment in England itself.  Rolling back 700 years of history is not a solution.

• Like 1

Okay.

As long as the people have a say as to how their "territory" is ruled then they should have no complaints.

In that regard then, I think May should have no problem with Northern Ireland wanting to remain with the EU or leaving.  Same with Scotland and Wales.

I guess May needs to define which people she is speaking for.  (Who elected to stay and who elected to leave.)

Sign in to follow this