Hi Dao Bums

I practice meditation, energy work, healing sounds, have studied Tai Chi, QiGong, chanting, and have attended many and various workshops/conferences/retreats. I have been actively involved in spiritual seeking since the age of 13 . I like neuroscience principles (coming from books like "The Craving Mind," "Mindsight," and "Aware") to articulate Daoist principles/the Tao.

In kindness,

NeuroscienceAndDao

• Like 2

Hello, NeuroscienceAndDao, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome NeuroscienceandDao,

Nice background. I can't wait to hear some of your replies regarding the neuroscience link with the ancient traditions. Welcome and enjoy!

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

• Like 1

Thank you @Fa Xin and @Marblehead for welcoming me. I am a SERIOUS neuroscience geek, there is a lot of data coming out about states of consciousness that support the teachings of the Tao. One is how in the book the Craving Mind, the self-referencing part of the brain (default mode network) increases when teenagers get LIKES on instagram and decreases (becomes VERY inactive) with long-term meditators. In other words, by using neurofeedback and fMRIs etc. we may be able to measure when one is closer to realizing the Tao by how active/inactive their DMN is... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really cool stuff. Could you tell us a bit more about the DMN? What functions does it have? I’m curious now! 

The first attached image( @Fa Xin ) is from the book--it shows A. a novice meditator asked to pay attention to breath, then B. an experienced meditator focusing on the breath, then C. an experienced meditator focusing on breath and also expanding any related feelings of wonder and joy. Basically the PCC (very related to the DMN, PCC part of the DMN) lights up with thinking or self-referencing and goes quiet in peaceful meditation states. See second attachment is to clearly see thinking vs feeling using fMRi + neurofeedback imaging

FINAL craving mind fb vs meditating fMRI neurofeedback chart.png

craving mind thinking vs feeling neurofeedback.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi NeuroscienceandDao.
That's a very interesting theory, NeuroscienceandDao.
I believe in you!
you should of ask me first. It means you can do the biopsy on me.

Edited by dosa
  • Like 1

I'll end this thread with a recent good energy interview...will make some neuroscience DMN posts on DaoBums soon :)...(maybe listen and feel into the energy, starts after a brief weather repor) ***oops wrong interview, will see if I can attach  ps. the attached chart is from one of my books, it's the higher brain functions required to make the DMN go quiet and maybe help??? in finding the Dao...if anyone is around this teacher in the interview is hosted by a 501c3 (traveling from Europe) speaking in 2 nights in Quaker meeting house in Portland Maine

CROPPED.Nine Functions Prefontal Cortex CHART.jpg

2018-09-12_Dave_Oshana_official_radio_interview.mp3

Edited by NeuroscienceAndDao
  • Like 4