whitesilk

Han Dynasty Astrophysics?

I've been pondering passage 4.19 of the Huainanzi. In in it describes 5 colors of qi relating to a period of time:

white 900 years

bluegreen 800 years

red 700 years

black 600 years

yellow 500 years

Could the night sky, (heavens) have been colored to ancient man?

• Thanks 1

the Huainanzi is from ~139 B.C.E when Liu An summoned 'several thousand guests and vistors, ... including fanshushi (masters of esoteric techniques). An 'inner book' of 200,000 words has been lost for decades. Could the "inner" book be decoded as part of the text itself?

There are 21 books of the volume, and I am beginning book five. So, the cause of me thinking that the 'inner' book is actually in the text, is that book 5 seasonal rules, is extremely formulaic. I'm am thinking that might be a key book. While I have an English translation, would it be worth my time to contact the publisher, for this question?

Edited by whitesilk
typo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, whitesilk said:

Could the night sky, (heavens) have been colored to ancient man?

Scientists have shown that the Moon is slowly moving away from the Earth.

Today, the Moon is on average 239,000 miles (385,000 kilometres) away and has reached this point after a long and dramatic journey.

Earth's  Moon was born around 4.5 billion years ago in a titanic collision between our planet and a Mars-sized sibling, according to the leading theory. The enormous impact threw debris into orbit around the young Earth and from this maelstrom the Moon coalesced.

For the last few billion years the Moon's gravity has been raising tides in Earth's oceanswhich the fast spinning Earth attempts to drag ahead of the sluggishly orbiting Moon. The result is that the Moon is being pushed away from Earth by 1.6 inches (4 centimeters) per year and our planet's rotation is slowing.

If left unabated the Moon would continue in its retreat until it would take bout 47 days to orbit the Earth. Both Earth and Moon would then keep the same faces permanently turned toward one another as Earth's spin would also have slowed to one rotation every 47 days.

https://www.space.com/3373-earth-moon-destined-disintegrate.html

A few thousand years isn't that long, geologically speaking, but it's possible that ancient humans had a much larger view of the Moon. This would have changed the nighttime sky, probably like how living in a city is much brighter than living in the country. I suppose this could have affected the color of the nighttime sky to some degree.

• Thanks 1

Many Thanks Lost in Translation. I have been studying this text for over a year, and much of it make's little to know practical sense.

A star brightened or a light turned on in my spirit or in my mind and I thought due to the circumstances of the writing, such that the author was, sort of, dis-entitled from his ancient throne, he hid knowledge in plain sight.

On 8/30/2018 at 12:50 PM, whitesilk said:

While I have an English translation, would it be worth my time to contact the publisher, for this question?

Well, I ended up writing a letter to the eastern studies resource center at the university at which the Huainanzi translation that I have was published. I have been thinking about the 'inner book' idea (posted above), and I think I have a solution to find the 'inner book' of the Huainanzi. Does anyone have a good Chinese grammar lesson available?

• Thanks 1

So my theory is that some or most of the ancient Chinese readings that I've undertook have been possibly interpreted in a different sense. Since much of the literature I have is during an internal struggle for power within China, could this literature be a way the ancients passed messages? and we naive ignorant 'barbarians' must not force a literal interpretation? (just started Mr. Sunshine on netflix)

• Thanks 1

In many times and places throughout history, writing openly in criticism of the king or emperor was a sure way to get executed. Thus, much was written by way of metaphor. This could fall under that category. I'm not saying this is the case but it's worth considering.

• Thanks 1

I haven't followed the trump threads on this forum. I'm glad and thankful to be here. I wonder if the rest of these people are.

Edited by whitesilk
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, whitesilk said:

Well, I ended up writing a letter to the eastern studies resource center at the university at which the Huainanzi translation that I have was published. I have been thinking about the 'inner book' idea (posted above), and I think I have a solution to find the 'inner book' of the Huainanzi. Does anyone have a good Chinese grammar lesson available?

What did you write to them about? Are you talking about the Columbia University Press addition?

6 hours ago, CityHermit! said:

What did you write to them about? Are you talking about the Columbia University Press addition?

yes, CUPS or common unix printing... or was it cusp, as in an equinox? I ended up answering my question on amazon.