Sign in to follow this  
rideforever

Wet & Windy Outdoors Qigong : What Clothing ?

I would be interested to hear any specific recommendations for good clothing for practice in autumn / winter conditions.   Preferably light flexible quiet clothing footwear ?

Thanks

It really depends on what area you are in for any specific recommendation but if you can find a practice area where a heel is not so much of a requirement that would be helpful. 

A relatively flat sole is best.

I generally wear kung fu style pants and a t-shirt or sweatshirt.

If precipitation is expected I'll add a light waterproof jacket with hood.

If cold enough, I add a knit cap and mittens.

I practice barefoot unless very cold, then minimalist shoes - no arch support or heel rise and as thin a sole as possible.

Practicing ChiKung outside in wet or windy weather is (to put it mildly) unwise.

If however you insist, then Buffalo and Paramo are the world leaders in outdoor clothing technology.

☮️

Windproof, waterproof. You shouldn't feel either wind or damp during it at all...if you do, then you don't have enough clothing.

If your clothes end up getting at all damp, change out of them as soon as possible into fresh dry clothes...otherwise dampness ends up messing up your channels. If your channels are already quite open, just avoid damp conditions entirely. If you are cultivating qi and it ends up opening your channels in the process, any dampness will interfere with them...really best to just practice when your environment is dry.

Have rubber bottoms of shoes, especially if the ground is damp during practice. It's good to be barefoot in the morning on sunny days when there is still dew on the grass, when it's warm enough out that it doesn't make your feet too cold (I think it's best to do this not during a time of cultivating qi, because it connects you to the earth, which takes your cultivated qi and exchanges it...better during non-practice time)...but not good to go barefoot when the grass is wet from overcast conditions, or if it's cold. Just my opinion.

Better to practice indoors...this solves almost all issues, except for the lack of fresh air. You can crack a window. Or just practice at a time when it's not at all windy or wet outside.

The autumn wind is the worst of the entire year...make sure the back of your neck is covered if there is any wind, even during non-practice times, even on days where the weather is nice.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this