Scrying began to happen for me, unsought and unwanted some years ago. 

The device of my scrying was the blank wall in our temple room where I sit and play Qi Gong.  One wall is left blank to allow a neutral place to rest the eyes.

At the time, I was playing daily at the same time for over a year.  I would start each evening around sunset and played into the hours of dusk.  While my eyes would lay neutrally on the wall and from here, full blown life-like windows into living worlds, homes, scenes of people's lives, friends would play out like a blue filtered black and white film.  Alongside this, a plethora of static images and symbols would clarify in pristine brilliance.

At the time, I considered it a fascinating nuissance.  It was bothersome to my practice, yet it was potent, vibrant, insistent and recurring no matter my own intentions. 

Your treatment and approach to scrying and sharing it here in this thread has been intriguing.  So I figured I'd mention how it happened for me, in case this method resonates with you.  Thanks for sharing mate.  Good stuff!

On 11/11/2018 at 6:56 AM, Marblehead said:

Now you can ask:  Is the cat alive or dead?

Well, with some one like 'Bubby'  ....   ' looking after him' .... it probably wishes it was dead 

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

it probably wishes it was dead 

All he needs is love.

But then, a functioning brain might help.

• Haha 1

Scrying life.

It starts out with a ball, staring into the crystal hoping to see... something. But it doesn't end there. Scrying is everywhere. Behind every truth, under every event, beside every artifact there is something hidden, unseen but able to be seen. It's the split frame, spliced between the regular frames. Easy to miss, but once seen it cannot be unseen.

Something is indeed changing.

• Like 1

I hope this project doesn't lead to unhealthy results. Nature (or evolution) has put a barrier between the world of our dreams and the world of our waking live, so there is reason to believe that we are more fit for survival when these worlds are kept apart. When this barrier is systematically removed the result could be utter confusion or worse.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wandelaar said:

I hope this project doesn't lead to unhealthy results. Nature (or evolution) has put a barrier between the world of our dreams and the world of our waking live, so there is reason to believe that we are more fit for survival when these worlds are kept apart. When this barrier is systematically removed the result could be utter confusion or worse.

Has 'nature' done that ?  or is it our modern life style,  conceptions, programming  .... something  .

The reason I ask is that many indigenous people seem NOT to have such a barrier.  They live in the 'dreamtime' . Well, in some of  the cultures here it is like that .Is not Shamanism another example ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost in Translation said:

I shall dip my big toe into the pool of insanity, having faith in my ability to withdraw it. 

yes, I did that some time back ... no problem withdrawing it all ....   

although it did look a little different afterwards 

9l537fyxi73z.jpg

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nungali said:

yes, I did that some time back ... no problem withdrawing it all ....   

although it did look a little different afterwards 

9l537fyxi73z.jpg

Did you drop a truck on your foot? That must have been painful! :blink:

20 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Has 'nature' done that ?  or is it our modern life style,  conceptions, programming  .... something  .

The reason I ask is that many indigenous people seem NOT to have such a barrier.  They live in the 'dreamtime'. Well, in some of  the cultures here it is like that.

Do you have a link about that. I looked up "dreamtime" on Wikipedia, but that wasn't very helpful.

20 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Is not Shamanism another example ?

Yes - the are people (shamans) who devote themselves to living in both worlds at once, and take big risks at that. But I don't know of cultures where everybody lives as a shaman. But I may be wrong, in that case please refer me to some respectable sources.

4 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Yes - the are people (shamans) who devote themselves to living in both worlds at once, and take big risks at that. 

What kind of risks do you mean?

Just now, Fa Xin said:

What kind of risks do you mean?

Mixing up (dream)images from the unconscious and perceptions from the physical world leading to existential fear, derealization and eventually psychosis.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Mixing up (dream)images from the unconscious and perceptions from the physical world leading to existential fear, derealization and eventually psychosis.

For those who dare, I suppose. 

• Like 1

Is it possible to discover the secrets of yourself through books and study? Or is a more direct, all-in approach necessary? Exploring the depths of your soul and looking into the abyss?

I don’t know if Buddha worried about that stuff before he sat under the Bodhi tree?

I suppose the path isn’t for everyone though. 

The exploration of your deeper self may never end exactly because of the interest you show in the beautiful or horrifying images that boil up from the unconscious. In Zen it is advised to ignore them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

The exploration of your deeper self may never end exactly because of the interest you show in the beautiful or horrifying images that boil up from the unconscious. In Zen it is advised to ignore them.

Yes... first there is a mountain, then no mountain. But the “mountain” returns after that. Isn’t that a Zen saying? 

I know what your saying... not to get attached to the images. But it’s my view that there is more to it than just ignoring it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

I used to think that it was best to ignore such things, but I have changed my mind. When unconscious voices speak to you through whatever media are available (images, phobias, pains, sounds, etc) it is essential to hear them. You don't need to act upon them any more than you need to act upon the screaming of a child, but you would never ignore a child so why ignore your unconscious?

• Like 2

@ LiT

I cannot find a respectable source for my warning of the danger of scrying so will have to let it stand as a personal impression.

Further - I am expressly not saying that one should ignore the messages that reach one from the unconscious by way of dreams, intuitions, gut feelings, and the like. But one's unconscious already has enough ways of making itself heard. So yes - one should certainly take note of what one's unconscious has to say. But more isn't always better, and one shouldn't "spoil" one's unconscious by showing it too much attention. The latter approach could unnecessarily open Pandora's box.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cheshire Cat said:

It's not going to work without the coned hat. Remember how Saruman ended his hatless Palantir experience. 

Correlation does not prove causation. As long as Gandalf doesn't get pissed at me I should be okay.

• Haha 1

Very interesting thread. Scrying is something that I intended to get into for some years, have really good books on it, but so far I could not find that good of a reason to practice it. I've done it with a candle once. With almost closed eyelids I was seeing an amazing dance of living sparks stretching and bending in all directions.

But you're saying it can translate into "reading" people and events more deeply?

On 12/12/2018 at 8:01 AM, wandelaar said:

Do you have a link about that. I looked up "dreamtime" on Wikipedia, but that wasn't very helpful.

Its complex.  And 'dumbed down' by non-traditional understandings.

It’s an English word used to describe the particular cultural beliefs of the many different Aboriginal groups, and each language group largely has its own words to describe the mythology and the foundation beliefs of the people.

And each group has an individual expression. In Bundjalung it has more of the meaning I was inferring in relation to your comment :  " Nature (or evolution) has put a barrier between the world of our dreams and the world of our waking live, so there is reason to believe that we are more fit for survival when these worlds are kept apart."

That is, they become more fit for survival by incorporating their 'dreamtime' in their waking life. And they see a link between being in this state of receptive waking consciousness  and 'night dreaming' consciousness. But also everything is a dream as well ( think of concept of 'maya' ), that is the very primal and central first creation myth before the dreamtime ... all of this ( the world, environment, landscape features, me, you, etc ) is art of a dream a big snake is having. When he wakes up, me ,you , all of this ... finished .  So even when awake, we are in a dream.

The original word (and group understanding) the translation came form is  tJukurrpa and  is one traditional term used by several groups of Central Desert languages to describe what would probably be the religion and the Laws of the people, and in some ways a description of Reality.

https://austhrutime.com/aboriginal_dreaming_tjukurrpa_.htm

Scott Cane's  ( see in link ^ ) book on this is excellent , he shows maps of these. He is very experienced and he asked some of his raditional elder friends if he could accompany them on one of these trecks .  They simply said " No - You will die" .

because he didnt understand the link between 'the dreaming' and survival in that harsh environment .

Yes - the are people (shamans) who devote themselves to living in both worlds at once, and take big risks at that. But I don't know of cultures where everybody lives as a shaman. But I may be wrong, in that case please refer me to some respectable sources.

:huh:

Ummm  ... I dont know of such a culture either ,.  Did I infer somehow that there was ?

• Like 1