Lightseeker

The Power gained from cultivation

Through my understanding, cultivation seems much like Tapas in Buddhism and Hinduism. One collects energy through deep concentration, which may later be expelled at will. In Hinduism, it is the strength of the sages penence which causes his curses or blessings to manifest. Is this true with chi cultivation? I also wanted to add that I came across a very advanced zen technique called Shikan Taza. It can only be done by the most advanced students for short periods of time, and through correct practice, even a few minutes can cause profuse sweating. The technique involves focusing all of your energy in making the mind steady and unwavering. Can anyone share some more info?

I thought shikantaza was a Zen Buddhist term for 'just sitting'.  Course the 'just' may take many years of daily practice to achieve.  As I recall in the beginning stages you generate some heat. 

I remember a book recommending watching cats.  Some are masters of it. 

What's the power of this??  idk.. I guess you become an expert in waiting, a master of patience.  Perhaps its not so much about gaining power as conserving it.  Just sit in perfect awareness.. not dullness. 

Edited by thelerner

10 minutes ago, thelerner said:

I thought shikantaza was a Zen Buddhist term for 'just sitting'.  Course the 'just' may take many years of daily practice to achieve.  As I recall in the beginning stages you generate some heat. 

I remember a book recommending watching cats.  Some are masters of it. 

What's the power of this??  idk.. I guess you become an expert in waiting, a master of patience.  Perhaps its not so much about gaining power as conserving it.  Just sit in perfect awareness.. not dullness. 

You are correct, I just mentioned what I got out of it. Do you know any practices to generate power and will energy?

Imo standing meditation,  zhan zhuang develops more power then sitting.  I've found martial arts, particularly weapon practices develop will and intention.  As far as will, 'just sitting',  counting to 100 or 200 breaths is tough.  Its challenges concentration, and its you against the powerful emotion of boredom.  

Meditating outside I often find my depth is only a fly deep.  Which is why it's so worthwhile, plus good to connect with the earth.

I've done the Wim Hof method, 10 week class (course it took me 14 to finish the first one).  That generated some power.  Learning breath control, watching the mind and body grapple with self strangulation.. watching the mind and body react and ultimately adapt to extreme cold.  It's a kick, with lessons.  Some of which can save your life you're stranded in the cold, or forced unexpectedly underwater.  As well as feeling more comfortable when its cool out. 

15 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

very advanced zen technique called Shikan Taza. It can only be done by the most advanced students for short periods of time, and through correct practice, even a few minutes can cause profuse sweating. The technique involves focusing all of your energy in making the mind steady and unwavering. Can anyone share some more info?

This is so wrong. Where are you getting this information from ?

Shikantaza is quintessential wuwei. Nondoing. Just sitting. Naturalness. Nothing forced or unforced.

It is for beginners and adepts and Buddha's alike . There is no difference. It is a non-technique. A non-practice.

It is as difficult as it is simple.

A Zen koan in physical form.

Edited by lifeforce
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lifeforce said:

This is so wrong. Where are you getting this information from ?

Shikantaza is quintessential wuwei. Nondoing. Just sitting. Naturalness. Nothing forced or unforced.

It is for beginners and adepts and Buddha's alike . There is no difference. It is a non-technique. A non-practice.

It is as difficult as it is simple.

A Zen koan in physical form.

2243CEC0-DB8F-472C-92BA-2E9233985A02.jpeg

74B8D818-AD5C-4BC1-A76E-05D5E0E3F8FA.jpeg

28 minutes ago, steve said:

Would you mind sharing the source of this quote?

Sure. The book is called Sure Ways to Self Realization by Satyananda Saraswati of the Bihar Yoga path. It’s a great book, and gives an outline of many different religions and their meditation methods.

8 minutes ago, Lightseeker said:

Sure. The book is called Sure Ways to Self Realization by Satyananda Saraswati of the Bihar Yoga path. It’s a great book, and gives an outline of many different religions and their meditation methods.

With your posted quote, it sounds like he is mentally trying to force something (hence the sweating), and thus not "just sitting" (residing). 

19 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

Can anyone share some more info?

Who is it that will be powerful ?

Do you know ?

Concentration is fine at the beginning because it coheres and integrates the mind, but the mind must also wake up.   Too much concentration is like trying to hammer a rock.   What for ?

So if you do Samatha practice you must also be sensitive to feel who you are.
Crushing yourself in concentration is not good.

Satyananda practice is generally good because the asana is soft and not yoga-sex-body-calfifornia-style ... 

These people are very good :
https://www.yogameditation.com/bindu-publishers/yoga-tantra-and-meditation-in-daily-life/

Their practice is extremely good, the best I know of on this planet, it's in Sweden at the Haa Centre.

One of the things they do is mirror gazing Tatrak.
Through this type practice you can wake up.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

I didn't think it was a Zen practitioner.

His understanding of shikantaza is dramatized and inaccurate.

Concentration is necessary early on in meditation practice (shamatha, for example).

By the time you reach a practice like shikantaza, which is similar though not identical to what I practice, the effort must be released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1