Sign in to follow this  
ion

Accepting Things as they are...

What are they?

A couple decades ago the word was that we were at the dawn of a new age, the Age of Information

Turns out that it is the Age of deceit and confusion

I'm finding that to accept things as they are is to abandon all learning, avoid all news media, anything remotely resembling public relations, and political statements. To accept things as they are is even to disregard medical information and to mistrust your Dr., or you might end up addicted to drugs far worse than good old fashion opium, or end up with some sort of irreversible condition.

It means don't trust teachers or the school board or much of what you learn in college.

And what about abortion, and vaccination? Can you say that if your getting one of these you are accepting things as they are? Is irradiating measles accepting things as they are? Is it ok to believe that there will be consequences to irradicating measles  and that there could be negative side effects to taking a vaccine even though my Dr., and Wal-Mart say that's crazy?

and how does one accept a transgender person for what they are? 

I think if religious Buddhist are going to promote the idea of accepting things as they are they should accept that the Buddha did not teach ordination, he taught dropping out.

Seems like lots of people are applying that concept, and the "chop fire wood, haul water" as to meaning embracing the world for all its ignorance, and to be another mindless drone living a worldly existence.

You can't really be a part of the culture if you accept things as they are because it's all a bunch of BS & lies.

When everybody thinks good is good, this is bad.

• Like 1

I think that accepting things as they are simply means to observe and understand. Observe that each person operates within a world of their own perception bias and not of objective measure. Understand that each person unconsciously applies this perception bias to everything they do.

25 minutes ago, ion said:

I'm finding that to accept things as they are is to abandon all learning, avoid all news media, anything remotely resembling public relations, and political statements. To accept things as they are is even to disregard medical information and to mistrust your Dr., or you might end up addicted to drugs far worse than good old fashion opium, or end up with some sort of irreversible condition.

It means don't trust teachers or the school board or much of what you learn in college.

This tells me that you have removed a level of your own perception bias, not unlike how some animals shed their skin when molting. You have awakened to the fact that you had previously accepted the words of "authorities" and now see that these authorities themselves have their own bias. Thus you now suspect their conclusions may not be correct. This is both scary and liberating!

31 minutes ago, ion said:

You can't really be a part of the culture if you accept things as they are because it's all a bunch of BS & lies.

It is a conundrum. Many people are dealing with this. You are not alone. The best thing at this time may be to withdraw into yourself. Use this time to go within. Meditate. Pray. Write a book. In the immortal words of King Soloman, "this too shall pass."

I've always looked at "accepting things as they are" as applying to the things out of my immediate control and beyond my ability to understand or change.

• Like 1

Who even teaches "accept things as they are" ?

What does it mean ?  It rains and you walk around without an umbrella ?   These people are just on the way to bed, good night !

No matter the era ... this world is full of chaos and shit on all sides.   Shit on the front, on the back, on the left, on the right, up down and inside.

But there are some ground rules that are always useful :

1. Recognize the danger and move quickly

2. Do not draw attention to yourself, but work like a warrior.

3. Always go to the source.   And I mean right to the source.  Until the teacher's mouth is touching your ear, you are too far away.

4. Great rewards mean great effort.   But not dumb effort.

5. Humans are not trustworthy, but that does not mean you cannot love them help them co-operate with them dance with them hug them and pray for them.  And forgive them.

6. Use your intelligence.  Make mistakes, and learn from them.  I Can, I Am.

7. Use both masculine and feminine qualities.

8. You either become God, or you become Dog.  You choose.   (Prabhupada)

9. Just to find the true road, is to find peace.

2 hours ago, rideforever said:

Who even teaches "accept things as they are" ?

What does it mean ?  It rains and you walk around without an umbrella ?   These people are just on the way to bed, good night !

No matter the era ... this world is full of chaos and shit on all sides.   Shit on the front, on the back, on the left, on the right, up down and inside.

8. You either become God, or you become Dog.  You choose.   (Prabhupada)

I'd say it means if its raining and you don't have an umbrella, you smile and say, What the Hell. 

Part of that smile is because the rain is good for something.. like flowers, trees, grass, glasses of water.  And one gets wet, then one dries off, no big deal. 

The world has shit, but it also has sun and children, laughter and tears.  You have to enjoy the contrast and when you can flip something around and add a little light to the world, you feel good.  Lots of opportunity for that, and it beats staring into the abyss 24/7. 

I'm much closer to dog then God,

but dogs aren't so bad. 

Some of them are great. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

Sign in to follow this