jin song

Jnana yoga leading to the opening of chakras?

Hi,

I am wondering if Advaita vedanta (or Kashmir shavism), the most prominent types of jnana yoga can lead students to the opening of chakras. Some say that just reading, listening or self-enquiry makes it possible to open chakras.

Is it really possible?

Thanks

Edited by jin song
  • Like 2

I think it's possible, but very unlikely. What people see many times as opening as the result of self inquiry at one point generally is more complicated than that.  Outwardly it may look like questioning or reading a book or watching a video suddenly brought a major opening or awakening.  But there is always more to it.  Many times we associate the triggering event as the cause for the entire transformation.  It is much more complicated than that.  Evolutionary changes may have been happening for a while -- as the result of other efforts or sadhana -- that brought a person to the brink of some big transformation or opening.  And suddenly, some life event or inquiry just opens the gate.  This can lead a person to conclude, I read that book or watched that video and it resulted in a major opening or transformation.  I have experienced such things once or twice.

Jnana yoga is a powerful tool, which along with others can lead a person to realization.  However, it is not for everyone.  This is stated very clearly in the texts like Bhagavad Gita and even on the Upanishads.  Only very few have the necessary energetic transformation to venture upon the jnana yoga.  Gita stresses the importance of Karma Yoga and Chitta-suddhi (purification and a process to remove obstructions) before a person can venture into jnana yoga.  In essence, jnana yoga cannot  be seen as a shortcut to bypass other fundamental things and directly reach the highest.  It just does not work like that.  Some of those who venture into jnana yoga when they are not  ready get disillusioned or  even at times depressed  with life in general.  Even an adept who is qualified for jnana yoga and practices it, is still not above the domain of karma.  All of these paths work  together in a beautiful and holistic way.  

In a way we just need to take up what is right for us in terms of our own own evolution and where we stand.  How does one determine where exactly they stand?  This is very tricky, and that's why a person needs a teacher or guru to guide them in the right path.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jin song said:

Hi,

I am wondering if Advaita vedanta (or Kashmir shavism), the most prominent types of jnana yoga can lead students to the opening of chakras. Some says that just reading, listening or self-enquiry makes it possible to open chakras.

Is it really possible?

Thanks

Yes, it's entirely possible, if those ideas you read or hear are the information you need at your current stage and therefore fall on fertile ground.

You also mention self-enquiry. This is key to spiritual awakening (sadly neglected by many).

householder dharma and responsibilities are not taken on by a monk or renunciate and vice-versa...how many people here are householders I don't know but a lot of the discussions here are about a what a renunciate would be directed to do (dharma wise) and is who suited to be practicing in important ways...  

Edited by 3bob

9 hours ago, jin song said:

Hi,

I am wondering if Advaita vedanta (or Kashmir shavism), the most prominent types of jnana yoga can lead students to the opening of chakras. Some says that just reading, listening or self-enquiry makes it possible to open chakras.

Is it really possible?

Thanks

There are three types of Kundalini awakening, depending on the type of ego of the person.

For the sattvic ego, there is the chit-kundalini awakening. The Sattvic ego finds jnāna yoga easier to practice.

For the rajasic ego, there is the prana-kundalini awakening. The Rajasic ego finds rāja yoga easier to practice. 

The third type of kundalini awakening is very rare. It is called parā-kundalini. It is supposed to happen at the universal mind level, after awakening.

http://premnirmal.blogspot.com/2010/09/secrets-of-kundalini.html

What do you mean by opening the chakras? 

Which effects/symptoms/results are supposed to accompany the opening on a subjective experimental level and on the objective level?

I think it's possible, but very unlikely. What people see many times as opening as the result of self inquiry at one point generally is more complicated than that.  Outwardly it may look like questioning or reading a book or watching a video suddenly brought a major opening or awakening.  But there is always more to it.  Many times we associate the triggering event as the cause for the entire transformation.  It is much more complicated than that.  Evolutionary changes may have been happening for a while -- as the result of other efforts or sadhana -- that brought a person to the brink of some big transformation or opening.  And suddenly, some life event or inquiry just opens the gate.  This can lead a person to conclude, I read that book or watched that video and it resulted in a major opening or transformation.  I have experienced such things once or twice.

Jnana yoga is a powerful tool, which along with others can lead a person to realization.  However, it is not for everyone.  This is stated very clearly in the texts like Bhagavad Gita and even on the Upanishads.  Only very few have the necessary energetic transformation to venture upon the jnana yoga.  Gita stresses the importance of Karma Yoga and Chitta-suddhi (purification and a process to remove obstructions) before a person can venture into jnana yoga.  In essence, jnana yoga cannot  be seen as a shortcut to bypass other fundamental things and directly reach the highest.  It just does not work like that.  Some of those who venture into jnana yoga when they are not  ready get disillusioned or  even at times depressed  with life in general.  Even an adept who is qualified for jnana yoga and practices it, is still not above the domain of karma.  All of these paths work  together in a beautiful and holistic way.  

In a way we just need to take up what is right for us in terms of our own own evolution and where we stand.  How does one determine where exactly they stand?  This is very tricky, and that's why a person needs a teacher or guru to guide them in the right path.  

Thanks for explanation. 

What I am talking about is something mentioned by Michale Singer. In his books, he mentions after some shaktipot or even naturally, something always stays continuously behind eyes and heart - awareness and compassion on each. I interpreted them as post-experience of opening chakras, so I thought it is the completion (even though more will come after the stage) of realization in terms of body.

Any more comments on this?

Edited by jin song

Yes, it's entirely possible, if those ideas you read or hear are the information you need at your current stage and therefore fall on fertile ground.

You also mention self-enquiry. This is key to spiritual awakening (sadly neglected by many).

Thanks for your answers.

Can you elaborate the stages? I haven't seen them in Vedanta or Shavism perspective.

What do you mean by opening the chakras? 

Which effects/symptoms/results are supposed to accompany the opening on a subjective experimental level and on the objective level?

What I mean is some stable  and ever-lasting awareness or compassion rooted on body after opening the chakras or central channel, and whether jnana yoga can lead to the result upon body.

Edited by jin song